U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2011, 05:13 PM

615 posts, read 1,023,421 times

Advertisements

So I dropped something on top of my glass/ceramic top stove and of course it broke. Not even just cracked fully broke. I can use the right two burners but not the left two.

So anyway, anyone had to have the top replaced? I'm not even sure where or who to call!

Thanks for any input, advice, suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:28 PM

21,720 posts, read 37,184,337 times
Any competent appliance repair guy can replace this. The prices of the parts range (ha!) from under a hundred bucks to 3X+. Get the model number of your appliance and google the parts costs. Some sites will also have guides as to how difficult it would to DIY...

If it is an older range it might make sense to price a replacement. I have seen many nearly new electric ranges at the "scratch and dent" sales of major appliances sell for less repair part cost.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:43 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,431,092 times
Ditto on Chet's advice. Indeed, it may be more cost effective to replace instead of repair in this case, especially if you're not comfortable taking it apart yourself.

You may want to look on craigslist too if anyone local is selling theirs for cheap simply because of its color.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 PM

224 posts, read 504,603 times
I'm kinda curious as to what you dropped. There's a whole thread about what not to do to a glass top stove and there is concern of dropping cast iron pans on it (one reason why manufacturers don't want you to use cast iron). Tell us about this enemy of your stove.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:18 AM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
The cast iron warning is more because they can cause the marking for burners to come off than dropping it. Drop anythig that is heavy enough and the glass will crack or break.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
I broke mine when a bottle of vanilla... (approx. size of a nail polish bottle) fell from the cudboard above....the bottle didnt break but my glass top did!..... can a glass shop cut me the type of glass I need? Just a thought. So a word of wisdom...lol ...DO NOT keep anything heavy or hard in the cudboards above your stove top....I learned the hard way unfortunately.
..I can call a glass place in the morning but an answer tonight would satisfy my curiosity. Thanks everyone

Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 AM

6,833 posts, read 21,956,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvaiora View Post
I broke mine when a bottle of vanilla... (approx. size of a nail polish bottle) fell from the cudboard above....the bottle didnt break but my glass top did!..... can a glass shop cut me the type of glass I need? Just a thought. So a word of wisdom...lol ...DO NOT keep anything heavy or hard in the cudboards above your stove top....I learned the hard way unfortunately.
..I can call a glass place in the morning but an answer tonight would satisfy my curiosity. Thanks everyone
No!
It has to be a replacement from the manufacturer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House