Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:46 PM
rfb

2,592 posts, read 6,325,370 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those folks who prefers carpeting in the bedroom. It just feels better on my feet in the morning when I jump off the bed. I suppose I could put rugs down over the hardwoods, but then I start asking myself "what's the point?".

I also like carpeting in my bonus room. My 2 year old son plays up there a lot, and the carpeting not only provides more traction for him (meaning he falls down less :-), but is much softer on his knees when he is playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,904,526 times
I like carpet in the bedrooms, bonus room, family room, and stairs over hardwood. I have a small child and we are on the floor a lot with her crawling around and playing, and while I think wood stairs look nice, I'm worried about falls.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:36 PM

892 posts, read 3,152,052 times
Our stairs are wood and beautiful yet dangerous. We finally had to buy runners so the dogs could go up AND down. Thought I would dislike the runners but I don't and the purpose they suit is so important!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:39 PM

150 posts, read 702,747 times
We're trying to decide between whether we want hardwoods on our stairs or carpeting. Our first floor will be almost entirely hardwood except for the kitchen. Anyone know of any advantages to having h/wood on the stairs as well? I'm concerned that they might not be too comfortable underfoot as we plan to have our parents come stay with us a while later on. Not to mention that we have a young daughter and are worried about her safety as well. Your thoughts?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:48 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,932,917 times
Default at least the stairs should be an option...

the builder I used, it was not even an option for the stairs and upstairs areas/bedrooms... I did do the entire lower level hardwood (engineered) I am on a slab. I would have loved to do the stairs and have the center carpet, a more decorative type carpet. I will eventually do it. I am not sure if I would do all the bedrooms, it would be costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canine7 View Post
it seems even in the nicest homes with all wood on the first floors-their is almost always carpet on the stairs and upstairs.
Is the a climate issue in nc/
I mean-i love laminate compared to carpet even.
And if you do change a homes upstairs to wood/laminate then i guess you would take the carpet off the stairs right/
thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 02:57 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,667,065 times
I am one of those people also that prefers carpet upstairs. I like to have my feet on something soft after a days work, and I feel in the bonus room and bedrooms it just gives a more comfy, cozy effect. And I also prefer carpet on the stairs. Like you Sunny....... been there done that,

Hubby likes hardwoods down and up, and thrid level, me I want practicality and to stay upright on the stairs while going down.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:04 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,031,777 times
I prefer carpet in the bedrooms too.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:54 PM

2,183 posts, read 7,973,725 times
We had all wood in our last home in CA. Paid a pretty penny for it. I can attest to the wood on the stairs danger thing. I severely bruised my kidney falling down the lower flight of stairs. Our home here was bought completed and the builder was "done" with the house as far as changes go. We are planning on putting wood on the stairs & hall again because it is so much easier to take care of than carpeting on stairs. But this time I will keep carpet in the bedrooms and bonus rooms. It gets cold in Winter and my kids are still young enough that they spend time playing on the floor.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:08 PM

404 posts, read 2,611,748 times
how does a runner work,obviously it goes on the stairs,but where does it start upstairs,/right at the top of the staircase?
thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,677,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Saturnfan...I always tell my clients when you ask the builder for something and he says "of course I can do it". Your next question should be "how much?"!!!

If the builder says NO, I'd want to know WHY. Some of the tract builders don't give you that as an "option". Most of the custom builders will allow you to add options to your heart's content...as long as you are willing to pay for it!

Vicki
Usually it is because they haven't costed it out, and by the time they spend the money to do so, the person asking won't want to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House