Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
I spoke to town people and they suggested I call the police. I don't know what the police could do though.
I would file a walk-in police report stating what happened. Not to have them investigate, but to have it on file that this occurred. If, God forbid, two months from now you find you have been a victim of identity theft, you'll have it on file.

Always smart to make police reports when anything oddball like this happens. There may be a rash of "garbage thefts" going on, for whatever reason. If they catch someone later on, they may be able to clear your case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:40 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I would file a walk-in police report stating what happened. Not to have them investigate, but to have it on file that this occurred. If, God forbid, two months from now you find you have been a victim of identity theft, you'll have it on file.

Always smart to make police reports when anything oddball like this happens. There may be a rash of "garbage thefts" going on, for whatever reason. If they catch someone later on, they may be able to clear your case.
The police will run you out, there was no crime committed. Trash on the curb belongs to anyone who wishes to pick it up. They will not make a report on a non crime..!!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM

275 posts, read 773,554 times
While taking somebody's garbage is not a crime, identity theft is. Even if I can't make a report now, police might remember later that I tried to make a report. Proving identity theft is difficult and it may be helpful in the future. I hope nothing of the sort happens but it is the only reason I can think of why someone would take my garbage. I am not too worried if it is only my name and address they get, after all, there are millions of other ways to get somebody's name and address. I am hoping I didn't throw out anything that has more than that. I will certainly be more careful from now on.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Why would they only take your garbage? I'm thinking you are being a little too paranoid.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:42 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
You are right to be concerned, very concerned. But it is the police more than anyone who utilize what they call a "garbage pull."

They don't need a search warrant and they use the garbage to find out stuff, like whether your son is a drug dealer or you are working when you are on welfare.

As mentioned above, criminals also take your garbage to get bank account numbers and SSN's etc. Mostly criminalls are not industrious enough to do this unless you have some serious money.

Reporters and investigators take your garbage to get dirt on you. If I was a young investigative reporter, I'd take the mayor's garbage every week. And the DA. Just the wine bottle count would be worth the effort.

Finally, jealous boyfriends take it to find out if you have condom wrappers and wine bottles he hasn't seen.

But, nobody takes your garbage for just no reason.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
"But, nobody takes your garbage for just no reason."

That's true. And in my experience if animals take garbage they tear the bags open right there on the street and eat what they want. They don't pick up the bags and carry them away without a trace.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You are right to be concerned, very concerned. But it is the police more than anyone who utilize what they call a "garbage pull."

They don't need a search warrant and they use the garbage to find out stuff, like whether your son is a drug dealer or you are working when you are on welfare.

As mentioned above, criminals also take your garbage to get bank account numbers and SSN's etc. Mostly criminalls are not industrious enough to do this unless you have some serious money.

Reporters and investigators take your garbage to get dirt on you. If I was a young investigative reporter, I'd take the mayor's garbage every week. And the DA. Just the wine bottle count would be worth the effort.

Finally, jealous boyfriends take it to find out if you have condom wrappers and wine bottles he hasn't seen.

But, nobody takes your garbage for just no reason.
Except none of the above applies to me or to my family. I live in working middle class, suburban area. We just bought the house a year ago. There is nothing interesting or unusual about us. If it is not for identity theft purposes, I can only think of one thing. I just applied to take the Foreign Service Officer test with the US State Department. I used to work for them and I want to again. Their background check is pretty through, however, background investigation would never be done this early. You have to pass the test, the interview, get a job offer before they'll do background investigation. This is so weird.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Why would they only take your garbage? I'm thinking you are being a little too paranoid.
I am not being paranoid. We left it out at night and it was gone in the morning and everyone else still had their garbage. We would not have realized it if the garbage truck showed up really early but they were late.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
They may have taken your garbage to get your DNA off a napkin, dental floss or an old sock. Once they have that, no telling what they will do with it but be alert for any service vans parked on your street for a while. Don't bother reporting it to the police because they will act like there's nothing going on.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
They may have taken your garbage to get your DNA off a napkin, dental floss or an old sock. Once they have that, no telling what they will do with it but be alert for any service vans parked on your street for a while. Don't bother reporting it to the police because they will act like there's nothing going on.
You are now making me really paranoid Well, there is one more reason I can think of but I do not want to go down that road. We are a Muslim family but I don't know how anyone would know that. Both my husband and I are probably be considered an agnostic at this point. We come from a very strictly secular background. No one in my family is religiously devout or practicing. Also, we are white and have been in the US for at least 30 years. I refuse to believe this could have anything to do with this issue. I still think they were looking for credit card or SS numbers and will keep an eye on my credit report for several months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House