Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:15 PM

70 posts, read 342,732 times

Advertisements

I am looking at buying all new stainless steel appliances. I am leaning towared frigidare gallery as they have the protective coating to prevent fingerprints and I like the look of them. I read somewhere on here that frigidare SS is fake. I am not understanding what that means? Thanks for any clarification or help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 03:22 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
True stainless steel is made from an alloy of steel that has so much nickel and chromium added to it that rust literally cannot form, in higher end commercial kitchen this is a must as the high temps and harsh cleaners that they use would destroy lesser metals.

Many consumer grade appliances use alloys that have replace the nickel with cheaper aluminum or zinc, metals that will oxidize over time and are not nearly as resistant to cleaners. Some use a kind of metallic paint or a plastic coating -- the heat resistance of these is quite poor. For a fridge or residential style oven this is not too big a deal, but with a high output wok burner or similar you would be asking for trouble...

Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
Magnet test - if it sticks, it's either a faux stainless finish (painted or vinyl coated steel) or a lower-grade stainless (ie. 409) that can rust.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Stainelss steel comes in many grades just like aluminum. Also the coating used varies with many being a form of anodizing. Even then anodizing can be very different from soft to hard .You just have to read the specs given and google the numbers really to know what your getting and its properties.Stainless is not totally rust proof.Depending on the use grades all have pluses and negatives even in comparison to other steels really.Most afke stainelesses are hard chrome surafce that are blasted. its not always a bad thing to use depending agi o tis use. Stainless handguns often use this because on wear parts stainless isn't that good for parts have friction aginst each other.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1 View Post
I am looking at buying all new stainless steel appliances. I am leaning towared frigidare gallery as they have the protective coating to prevent fingerprints and I like the look of them. I read somewhere on here that frigidare SS is fake. I am not understanding what that means? Thanks for any clarification or help.
Think twice about frigidaire. I have the stove and microwave in the stainless steel. No problems there as I like both appliances HOWEVER I want to replace our white dishwasher with the frigidaire gallery dishwasher and this is a problem. The reviews are horrible on frigidaire dishwashers. I looked at multiple sites too. Most have big issues with it. I spent so much time researching the stoves that I didnt think about the dishwasher. My plan was to have all of my appliances in the gallery line and now I have no idea what to do because Frigidaire's stainless is darker looking than other companies. I believe its because it has the fingerprint coating. So whenever I get a new dishwasher it will not match my stove. I am hoping that Frigidaire somehow fixes the issues with the dishwasher so I can buy one.

Anyway, food for thought.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:09 PM

70 posts, read 342,732 times
Thank you all for the tips and education. This is a very expensive buy for me so want to make sure I get it right. Falling water, thanks for the frigidaire tip but I am not in the market for a dishwasher. Just the refrig, stove and microwave. So I take it you are happy with your other frigidaire appliances??? My black dishwasher works fine, so I coved it will stainless steel film and it turned out great. One less expense! Again thank you everyone, I really appreciate it.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:37 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Think twice about frigidaire. I have the stove and microwave in the stainless steel. No problems there as I like both appliances HOWEVER I want to replace our white dishwasher with the frigidaire gallery dishwasher and this is a problem. The reviews are horrible on frigidaire dishwashers. I looked at multiple sites too. Most have big issues with it. I spent so much time researching the stoves that I didnt think about the dishwasher. My plan was to have all of my appliances in the gallery line and now I have no idea what to do because Frigidaire's stainless is darker looking than other companies. I believe its because it has the fingerprint coating. So whenever I get a new dishwasher it will not match my stove. I am hoping that Frigidaire somehow fixes the issues with the dishwasher so I can buy one.

Anyway, food for thought.

Why not get a dishwasher that accepts a panel that would match your cabinets rather than trying to match the stove and refrigerator?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1 View Post
Thank you all for the tips and education. This is a very expensive buy for me so want to make sure I get it right. Falling water, thanks for the frigidaire tip but I am not in the market for a dishwasher. Just the refrig, stove and microwave. So I take it you are happy with your other frigidaire appliances??? My black dishwasher works fine, so I coved it will stainless steel film and it turned out great. One less expense! Again thank you everyone, I really appreciate it.
Oh cool. Yes I am very happy with my stove and microwave. Well actually the microwave gets on my nerves. Ha ha. It works great but it has this annoying feature that drives me bonkers. After food is done cooking, the microwave beeps. Fine, but then it keeps beeping until you open the door! It drives me nuts as I am usually doing something else and the constant beeping makes me stop whatever I am doing so I can go shut up the microwave. I have no idea why it has this feature, its not like its gonna over cook or something. We have moved several times and had to buy appliances several times over (which sucks, they aren't cheap!). I have bought frigidaire over and over and have been pleased with them. Just seems like they are lacking in the dishwasher dept.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why not get a dishwasher that accepts a panel that would match your cabinets rather than trying to match the stove and refrigerator?
I thought about this but the dishwasher is white and my appliances are stainless steel and the fridge is black. Even with a panel, the top part of the dishwasher would still show (where the controls are). I did think about going with a black dishwasher instead. I am not really fond of my fridge so the plan was to replace everything with stainless. Right now the dishwasher works fine so when it finally goes then I will have to figure it all out.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Momof1, I have a Frigidaire Gallery series refrigerator and gas stove. I don't really care what the faux SS finish is actually made of because it looks good, resists fingerprints, and cleans up very easily.

I absolutely LOVE the stove. It's five burners with a grill pan, oven has convection. It cooks as hot as any stove I have ever used -- I can't even imagine getting a real restaurant stove -- yet the burners are easily controlled and very versatile. I can cook quickly, yet I burn next-to-nothing. I have had no problems with the faux stainless finish. The entire top of the stove is black enameled metal and the burners (all different sizes, such a great thing) and the grill pan are cast iron.

I like many aspect of my Gallery side-by-side fridge -- price, looks, finish, the digital read-out screen on the door. The one thing I don't care for is the on-the-door water and ice dispenser. The cubes come out with such force they sometimes flip out of the glass, and sometimes too many come out at once. And the crushed ice -- forget about it, most of it ends up on the floor. On the positive side, it makes ice very quickly, which is great when you're having a party.

I don't have a new dishwasher yet, because my old black one is still working fine. I'm not worried about having to get the Gallery Series if the reviews continue to be bad. The GE faux stainless is a perfect match for the Frigidaire Gallery appliances. I went with the GE Spacemaker over-the-stove microwave rather than the Gallery one because I don't use a microwave that often and wanted to save some money. The two appliances are right next to each other and except for the small silver name plates, there appears to be no difference in the two brands, looks-wise. So I'll probably end up with a GE dishwasher when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House