Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Have you tried a mixture/dilution with amonia? Old-fashioned stuff but it kills the smell of everything. Just don't use it full strength or you might pass up.

My parents used to rent out several houses. In-between tenants, they cleaned the fridges and "prepped" them. The electricity was typically off since previous tenants would close their accts. My dad used to put a piece of folded cardboard (or anything just that could hold the fridge open a little) and then tie/knot a rope around the handles. Maybe he was old school but there was always the fear of kids/people playing in fridge and getting trapped inside.
With newer fridges and magnetic doors rather than actual mechanical latches, someone getting locked inside is pretty unlikely, but that would be a good way to keep the doors cracked a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times
I had several people tell me NOT to use Ammonia...

I gave up last night and called the manufacturer. They offered the same suggestions, lemon juice, baking soda, baking soda and water, vinegar, vinegar and water.... The CSR put me on hold and asked some of the others and came back with take a shallow pan, put in the bottom of the freezer and put kitty litter in it there and leave it for 3 days, changing it out each day. we'll see!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:10 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Also check the condensation collection pan, located somewhere under the unit.

I have not used it, but OdoBan is a possibility. It is not friendly to plastic and you would have to be careful to use the right concentration and rinse it well. I would not apply it and leave it. But it's something to consider if the kitty litter does not work.

http://www.odoban.com/products/faqs.php#question_32

Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
The odor may be in the insulation due to mold. Here is what will cure it. Take the frig outdoors and CHAIN the door open and be sure it is sitting on it's back, open, in the sun. Leave for a couple of weeks. This will work. Been there - done that. Recommended by an appliance store/repair place.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:55 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Also check the condensation collection pan, located somewhere under the unit.

I have not used it, but OdoBan is a possibility. It is not friendly to plastic and you would have to be careful to use the right concentration and rinse it well. I would not apply it and leave it. But it's something to consider if the kitty litter does not work.

OdoBan - Odor Eliminator - FAQs
I LOVE Odoban! I bought a gallon when we had our house fire and it helped immensely. Of course we did all of our cleaning with white vinegar & water, which also worked wonders. You don't need much of the Odoban, either. Even after adding it to most of our cleaning solutions, we still have over 1/2 gallon left.

Another nice thing about the Odoban, is that it kills just about everything!...including molds & mildews!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:21 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times
so far the kitty litter and charcoal are helping.... i rubbed down the entire inside of the freezer with a cut lemon yesterday and left it for several hours. Took a warm wet rag and wiped it out, re-wetting it several times. I'll check again this afternoon.

I also pulled it out and cleared the dust and filth from underneath and behind. I didnt have the manual with me yesterday so when I get there today, I'll take the cover off and clean inside as best as I can. the toe kick plate was almost solid with cobwebs and dust.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
so far the kitty litter and charcoal are helping.... i rubbed down the entire inside of the freezer with a cut lemon yesterday and left it for several hours. Took a warm wet rag and wiped it out, re-wetting it several times. I'll check again this afternoon.

I also pulled it out and cleared the dust and filth from underneath and behind. I didnt have the manual with me yesterday so when I get there today, I'll take the cover off and clean inside as best as I can. the toe kick plate was almost solid with cobwebs and dust.
That's great news! Are you using the charcoal briquettes? Something that completely slipped my mind, when reading these posts is this.... One of the rooms that received severe smoke damage and odor, when we had our house fire, was our small bathroom. The smell, even after cleaning, was so strong that it almost burned your nostrils. We have several fish tanks and ponds, so we buy our activated charcoal in large containers. I "borrowed" some of the charcoal chips from the fish and put a dish of it in the bathroom. The odor was barely noticeable the next day and gone the following day.

On having a fridge or freezer empty for a period of time, there's another tip that a snowbird friend of mine uses for her fridge when she's gone for the season. She cleans is very well, unplugs it, then hangs a dish towel over the top of each door. That keeps the doors open until she is back, the following spring. I watch over her place for her and her fridge always smells fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House