Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times

Advertisements

Can't quite figure this one out. We like a cool bedroom, so we turn the A/C down in the apartment to about 68 at night. The apartment gets FRIGID - one room goes to 66. The BR gets down to about 66 pretty quickly, but by morning it is up to 70. Rest of apartment stays cold. This happens whether the temp outside is in the 50's or the 80's at night.

Have tried leaving the Fan turned to ON, as well as the fan to Auto. Doesn't seem to make a diff. Tried door open, door closed - no difference.
Have ceiling fan in room. Don't want windows open due to allergies. Have a HepaFilter in the room.

We are on the 3rd (top) floor of an apartment bldg. One thing I can think of is that here could be something up in the attic that may be giving off heat, and the insulation in our ceiling is so poor that it could be warming our room? But have no idea what that could be.

As bad as our BR is, the other BR gets much warmer - it never gets within 5 degrees of the temp the A/C is set to. This is a 3 year old supposed "luxury" building, with an AWFUL Central Air system. Each apt has its own heat & air. Huge variations in temp within the apt - and the whole place is only 1300 sq ft!
LL says everything is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
It is entirely possible for a roof to absorb heat from the sun during the day then discharge it later. Our house in south Florida had a concrete tile roof and insufficient attic insulation and did something similar. Heat buildup started around 4PM and continued until about 11 PM until I addressed the issue.

Body heat will also give a little rise in temps. Go to Harbor Freight, buy a $15 non-contact thermometer, point it at various parts of the walls, ceilings, floor, etc. You'll find the hot spots. You real job will be getting them fixed. Good luck with that.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Get one of this:

(BTW: great price!!)
Amazon.com: Temperature Gun Infrared Thermometer w/ Laser Sight: Home Improvement
And try to find out where you get the heat leak in your bedroom ( don't forget the windows)

Old 06-08-2011, 11:35 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It is entirely possible for a roof to absorb heat from the sun during the day then discharge it later. Our house in south Florida had a concrete tile roof and insufficient attic insulation and did something similar. Heat buildup started around 4PM and continued until about 11 PM until I addressed the issue.

Body heat will also give a little rise in temps. Go to Harbor Freight, buy a $15 non-contact thermometer, point it at various parts of the walls, ceilings, floor, etc. You'll find the hot spots. You real job will be getting them fixed. Good luck with that.
That's what I was thinking also. My house was built prior to central A/C and did not have one shred of insulation in the exterior walls when I got it. The West side of the house would get steadily warmer overnight because the brick, warmed by the afternoon sun, was able to radiate that heat into the house almost entirely unchecked. If you stand within about 3 feet of the brick a couple of hours after sundown the perceived radiant heat is WAY noticeable. Anyway, it seems totally plausible that a dark, heavy composite roof that gets a full day's worth of direct sun all summer long would be able to warm up a poorly insulated bedroom.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Thanks for the comments.
Does seem like it is coming from above, either as a result of the roof warming (The sun beats on that part of the roof late in the day) & then dissapating, or from the Compressors (which on further reflection I realize are all up in the attic - for all the units in the building). Funny thing though, we do not HEAR the Compressors.
As for getting it repaired - It is more likely that I'll hit the lottery than the LL will add insulation to his NEWLY BUILT building - and I do not even play the lottery! :-)

Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Do you keep your bedroom door open or closed? If there isn't a return in your bedroom and the door is closed, you might not be getting an exchange. The A/C will be pumping in cool air, but the warmer, stale air isn't going anyplace. Add a couple warm bodies giving off 98.6 degrees all night and things could warm up.

Just a guess.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Compressors are not likely in the attic. The air handlers might be, but not the compressors.
You may have an under insulated attic.
You may have an under ventilated attic.
Do you have a way to get into the attic to look?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Luxury apartment building. Describe the building. Does each unit have its own airconditioner? Or is the entire building on one system with each apartment having separate controls for individual apartment environments? Regardless, it's entirely possible the ductwork to your bedrooms are attached to the airconditioner for another apartment unit.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Well in my case its a few diff reasons. First off, my wife is a living blast furnace. Second, we close the bedroom door and it gets rather stuffy. We always have a fan going due to my tinnitus but even with it the room gets pretty toasty.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:39 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
have you reversed the direction of your ceiling fan? Ceiling Fan Direction for Summer and Winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House