Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,896,245 times

Advertisements

I have a new screen/storm door newly installed. My husband thought it would be best to have the door latch of screen door opposite the main door knob.

Day 2... I can not STAND it. It is very cumbersome to hold a heavy storm door with right hand while attempting to unlock a door that needs two hands to unlock.

I want to change it... I don't think we can just reverse the door because the hardware was drilled etc.

No problem... I will eventually buy another storm door. My question is the door jam now has holes for the screen latch on the wrong side. DH says that the holes on the door way frame are now on that side and will look unsightly if we change the storm door.

What can be done about that? Can I have replacement door way frames (or what ever) installed prior to getting new storm door installed.

And who would be the best to repair/replace door jam? Construction company? Handyman? The house was a new construction 2 years ago and I really want to preserve the finish and appearance of my entry way.

Last edited by kcam213; 06-10-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
A lot of times, the reason for installing a storm/screen door with the opposite swing of the entry door is because the handle sets will hit each other- not allowing the storm/screen door to latch.
Other than that there is no "rule" as to swing.
As far as the casing- it's hard to say by your description. Some pic's would really help.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
My husband thought it would be best to...
Some threads you just know aren't going to get better than the opening line.

Quote:
I can not STAND it.
I want to change it...
"If Momma ain't happy... ain't nobody happy"

Quote:
What can be done about that?
And who would be the best to repair/replace door jam?
Start with whoever it is you bought the door from.
They might be able to reverse it or maybe even take it back and give you (some) credit toward the purchase of a new one.

As to the install... whoever did this one can probably do the next one.
Unless that is "him" of course.

Good luck but I say leave the holes be.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,896,245 times
Thanks for replies. LOL Mr. Rational. What makes it worst, now DH says it was MY choice. My choice was to leave it to him. BIG MISTAKE.

I will post pics in the AM Kledge.... when it is daylight.

I looked closer at the door and the framing. It does appear that if I installed door opposite... the holes will be covered. The hole for the latch will be covered by the frame on the hinge side when switched and the small bolt holes made by installing the hinges will either be covered or drilled out for the latch hole.

I feel better that my door jamb is not an issue. I guess it will be just buying a new door and having it installed correctly. Andersen 4000 series ($320) plus installation down the drain. Hopefully I can sell this for about $100 and then I will be out for only $300.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 AM

23,509 posts, read 69,890,838 times
Just a thought - many times the screen/storm door is installed so that it will not be ripped out of your hands by prevailing winds.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,182,234 times
You might be way ahead of the game if you pack your stuff and wave goodbye to DH right now when you are only down a door. :-)

Any holes in wood jamb and frame can be patched and you would never know they were there (if done by a competent person).

Talk to the people where you bought the door and see if you can work out a deal on changing out the door.
Hope it works out for you and we don't read about you on the national news.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 39,494 times
One reason for hanging the storm with the hinges on the same side as as the main door is so that you don't have to open the storm so wide in order to get your keys into the main door lock.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:54 PM

14,183 posts, read 14,539,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFixItRight View Post
One reason for hanging the storm with the hinges on the same side as as the main door is so that you don't have to open the storm so wide in order to get your keys into the main door lock.
So very true.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 PM

14,183 posts, read 14,539,139 times
I believe the Andersen 4000 can be left or right hinged. If you reverse it, the worst that will happen is there will be some extra holes that have to be dealt with. The worst/most visible being the side (now the hinge side) where the old handle was. Check your installation guide and/or call Andersen.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:36 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,459,056 times
I couldn't find any information to verify it, but it looks like the handle on the Andersen 4000 is spaced in the center of the stile and the frame is the same width top and bottom. Is the door reversible by uninstalling it and flipping it top to bottom as it appears to be? If that is the case, it would seem that the worst that would happen is there would be extra holes where the bottom sweep channel (expander) attached and where the closer attached at the top. Those holes, if they show when reinstalled, could be plugged with matching screws. You may need to replace the mounting frame (z-bars) but that would be much less expensive than a new door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House