Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:00 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

OK, I moved into a house built in the late 20s, and it's in great shape. i've been here a little over a year, and starting to think about kitchen project. i could do it the simple way...just put new cabinets, counters, and floors with the existing layout. or i could get more complicated and redesign the layout.

my question falls in the redesign option...would i just talk to a contractor, or is this something that i'd need to talk to an architect? who "designs" kitchens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 PM

61 posts, read 387,866 times
Most contractors who specialize in kitchen remodeling will have a good idea of modern design and can help you put something together. No need to hire an architect for this. Do look at a lot of magazines and websites so you have an idea of what you desire in a new layout though. Remember: form follows function.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:34 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Why "kitchen designers" of course!!!

Honestly I used to be skeptical that this was specialized enough to need a "single room certification" but having been in homes where are excellent kitchen designer did the work to get everything to fit together I am SOLD!

All the major remodeling magazines run special editions that showcase the work of design professionals. Literally any grocery store / newsstand will have several copies to choose from. Buy them. Start cutting out pictures of things you like. Call or visit some of the designers that are listed. Spend time finding out the kinds of cabinets and appliances that you can afford / prefer.

Really will immensely improve your satisfaction with your home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
OK, I moved into a house built in the late 20s, and it's in great shape. i've been here a little over a year, and starting to think about kitchen project. i could do it the simple way...just put new cabinets, counters, and floors with the existing layout. or i could get more complicated and redesign the layout.

my question falls in the redesign option...would i just talk to a contractor, or is this something that i'd need to talk to an architect? who "designs" kitchens?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:

The simple way: Just putting in new cabinets? Isn't that the hard way? Doing it all wrong and just slapping on some ugly white paint is the easy way but in the end everyone will point and laugh and you will be unhappy.

Yes of course you have to redesign the layout. A kitchen that is 90 years old is not of any design but just a length of boxes with doors and sometimes no doors at all which was the style then. Every day people walk into my store and say their cabinets are 30 or 40 years old and in good shape but they just want to give it a face lift. NO THEY ARE NOT IN GOOD SHAPE. They are 40 freaking years old. And there is no design for maximum accessibility or ergonomic use.

No you do not call an Architect for designing a kitchen. They know as much as an Electrician or Plumber about laying out a kitchen. In 30 years I never met an Architect that knew how to lay out a kitchen. Not saying some can't but I never met one and I met many hundreds over my career. Architects design buildings, not kitchens!!!!!!!!!

You need a Kitchen Designer and hopefully one with certifications such as CKD. And the best part. Most charge nothing if you buy the cabinets from them. Basic design is always free. Now if you make a bunch of changes and drag things out for several visits you will be asked to give a deposit but that will be put towards the purchase when you buy.

You want to start at the small kitchen dealers near you. YOU DO NOT want to go to the big orange who only wants your little green unless you like being raped as these big box stores charge full list price. Most all small dealers discount at least 50% from list price. Be a smart consumer and do your homework.

Start here: National Kitchen & Bath Association
There is a tab to locate a CKD near you but your best bet is just going to your local cabinet dealer who DO employ certified designers. For the record, the big box stores DO NOT employ certified designers. They simply move a floor sales person to the cabinet dept and give them a 3 day training course on how to design for profit, NOT for maximum efficient use. Advising you on brand is just too much to cover here but I have covered it about a hundred times on this forum over 4 years if you wish to do the search.

Don't bother with a contractor either. Even if he calls himself a kitchen remodeler. They know nothing about design and layout. If you wish I can give you a couple parts from my published book on design with more detailed advice but you will have to ask on a PM.

Good luck

Old 06-17-2011, 06:15 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That's a very helpful link. Thanks (and some of the designers in my area showed white kitchen cabinets on their websites! LOL). Have a good day!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:21 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's a very helpful link. Thanks (and some of the designers in my area showed white kitchen cabinets on their websites! LOL). Have a good day!
Yes that's true, also many show white kitchens in the design magazines. I don't know what to make of that since only 2 of every 100 new kitchens sold in North America are white. I guess white just makes for better photography.

Good luck to ya

Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM

40 posts, read 190,784 times
Get with a kitchen contractor that can provide cad layouts of your kitchen. They will measure and enter all the info into a program like 20/20 and throw out an automatic layout which can be tweaked to your liking. After that, pick your cabinets(style and quality) counters, flooring etc... it all adds up but is better to start that way.
I've dealt with clients that throw 40 magazines on the table with bookmarkers and 90% of the time they are falling in love with things that they can't afford and end up going back through all the selections for changes. It's all in what your budget allows and the area in which you live. Good Luck with the project!

Todd Stull
Enola, PA

Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:

Don't forget to look at "extras" -- little things that don't cost much(but they do add up), and make the place way more useable. I absolutely adore my silverware drawer -- there's a sliding top to give it two levels -- stores all my flatware and other stuff like thermometers and gizmos. Pull out drawers in cabinets -- makes it much easier to get to stuff. AND -- stand up tray storage. That's very handy -- and my cabinet guy and contractor thought it was crazy -- or I was decribing it badly --

Old 06-17-2011, 12:51 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
thx for all the input so far. i'll reach out to some local kitchen folks and see where it goes from there.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:06 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Do you need an architect or kitchen designer for a kitchen remodel in a 80+ y.o. house? Of course not. Can an architect as well as a kitchen designer experienced in challenging projects such as this provide you with much needed insight, practical knowledge and vision that a contractor could not? Most certainly! Desertsun41

100 y.o. historically designated house, finalizing the design (ignore the colors of renderings- not accurate nor are they to represent actual colors, rather just general ideas about color at this point)

Before:
Plan[IMG][/IMG]

Proposed:
Plan

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House