U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,605,789 times
Talking Help, My Dishwasher is Trying to Kill Me

All kidding aside, maybe it would be a good idea to start disinfecting the seal on the dishwasher door on a regular basis:

New research finds harmful fungal pathogens living in dishwasher seals

Oxford, June 20, 2011 - A potentially pathogenic fungus has found a home living in extreme conditions in some of the most common household appliances, researchers have found. A new paper published in the British Mycological Society journal, Fungal Biology, published by Elsevier, shows that these sites make perfect habitats for extremotolerant fungi (which includes black yeasts). Some of these are potentially dangerous to human health.

'My dishwasher is trying to kill me'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,254,978 times
Also good to keep your microwave oven door seals clean.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM

3,350 posts, read 10,076,710 times
I clean the washer and dryer on a regular basis. I've found that the seals on the washer and the dryer door get dirty also. I've nade it a practise to clean seals on all the appliances on a regular basis. Look at the top seal of the refrigerator. You could be very surprised.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 PM

220 posts, read 257,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
And, to add insult to injury, many US states have banned the use of phosphates in dish washer soap. Most major brands as a response have removed phosphates from all their dish washer soap products. I just checked and there it is, on the label, "phosphate free".

Consumers are now complaining that their dishwasher is not getting the dishes clean as a result.

States Ban Phosphate-Laden Dishwasher Soap- Appliance.Net - home and kitchen appliances - news reviews ratings recalls authorized repairs store locator

So maybe that fungii is not just on the seals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House