Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 02:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times

Advertisements

You need a pro to do that floor. It is so uneven that if you put tile on it now, you will have cracked tiles in a week. That much space under a tile will be perfect to create a cracked tile floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
I rented a grinder and got the high spots out. It wasn't easy or clean to do. I spent 150 on discs alone. Ill post pics later of my work on it. I also used the grinder to remove the paint and texture from the floor. That part was easy but I did the entire floor just to clean it up for the mortar.

I'll be done with my master bedroom this week. Ive spent 20hrs on my bedroom from removing furniture, removing carpet, removing wood strips with staples, leveling floor to installing tile. When all is said and done I'll have around 24hrs. Which only puts me 25% done.

I'll post pics of before and after, this weekend.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,071 times
Here are a couple of thoughts from a guy who does this stuff for a living:

Your best bet is to hire a professional tile contractor and have him/her level the floor and set the tile. That's the most expensive way to get this done right, but also your best investment. He!! is doing a tile job yourself, having to tear it out and still hiring a pro to get it right.

Your 2nd best option is to grind away at it, until the high spots/humps are gone, then using a self-leveling compound like Ardex K-15 to get it flat. That will also texturize the slab a bit so your mortar grabs a little better.

Finally, you can use a medium-bed mortar instead of thinset mortar to set the tile. That will help with the leveling issue as long as you are using a level in all directions on every two to four tiles as you go. A puck-type level would be helpful. Tavy makes a good one.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 07-09-2011, 12:26 PM

I have a new respect for tile installers. I'm now on to the grouting and it is by far the worst part (it's killing my back much more than any other part of the install). I can only imagine how much fun it will be to get the haze off all the tiles. But I'm learning a lot from this and will be much faster and better when I start doing it in the living and dining room.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Best solution and tools for this. I'm getting the concrete ready for tile.

Paint thinner and a scraper?
Dawn soap and a scraper?

Does the concrete have to be completely free of everything or can a little paint be on the concrete close to the baseboards?
Cleaning only:

Scrape the gross stuff (glue, paint, etc.), and then use the correct floor buffer and pad, plus some liquid floor cleaner and degreaser that does not leave an oily film (TSP, for example). The next step is to rinse the floor with water, and then to squeegee the water out of there. Let the floor dry, and do your thing.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM

RayinAK, I'm way ahead of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House