Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times

Advertisements

If you have an artsy use for the old windows, by all means use them. I have replaced the old glass with mirrors or stained glass for many projects.
But to keep them because they might be valuable is not reasonable. They are available for free, or very cheap all over the place.

I've even used some of the original glass panes for stained glass projects if its interesting glass.

One thing to keep in mind that when working with these old windows for projects, is they likely have lead paint on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,347 times
I have lived in old buildings with those dangerous rope windows! used sticks, books, decor to hold um open. With some buildings, painters have painted so many layers of paint over the windows, they are literally sealed shut. it takes time to pry through.
my old bathroom window, this is when i learned how dangerous they are. i opened it, after moving in. had NO IDEA they are guillotine devices! my hand was on sill, and WHAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.. i couldnt move it fast enough, thats how fast they are, it caught all fingers on R hand. thank GOD my BF was there. I was , in his words and neighbors words, I sounded like an animal caught in a trap. Thats what they said. I dont recall what I sounded like, I recall my BF pounding, pulling, pushing, shaking trying to get that thing to move off my hand.
In those moments, i now know what an animal feels like, it wants to chew its limb off. that my friends is exactly what crossed my mind! i was ready to have it chopped off! BF, finally got the window to move up and i got out, it slammed down again. Ambulance came, and neighbors, who lived next door, they are the ones who I scared, saying i sounded like an animal. Not a human.

NEVER, leave those windows up without a stick propped in. I lived there 13yrs, that first week taught me about the broken pulleys.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
My 1920's house had the rope and pulley type window you are discussing. When I bought the house, most were in good repair but the contractor replaced the rope with sash chain anyway. Yes, the window frames can leak a little air, so I installed storm windows, which took care of the problem.

Saving the old windows is a great idea, but I would not paint or otherwise cover the glass panes. Those are probably the old, wavy glass, which is what makes the windows so cool. With four windows you could make a wonderful little terrarium, using those windows for the sides, and perhaps another piece of regular glass for the top. Or don't even put a top on it and just use it to surround a pretty potted plant.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:38 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
And I am looking to buy a car that has a hand crank start. I love that old stuff..........LOL

Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 PM

183 posts, read 322,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmeadows View Post
I have lived in old buildings with those dangerous rope windows! used sticks, books, decor to hold um open. With some buildings, painters have painted so many layers of paint over the windows, they are literally sealed shut. it takes time to pry through.
my old bathroom window, this is when i learned how dangerous they are. i opened it, after moving in. had NO IDEA they are guillotine devices! my hand was on sill, and WHAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.. i couldnt move it fast enough, thats how fast they are, it caught all fingers on R hand. thank GOD my BF was there. I was , in his words and neighbors words, I sounded like an animal caught in a trap. Thats what they said. I dont recall what I sounded like, I recall my BF pounding, pulling, pushing, shaking trying to get that thing to move off my hand.
In those moments, i now know what an animal feels like, it wants to chew its limb off. that my friends is exactly what crossed my mind! i was ready to have it chopped off! BF, finally got the window to move up and i got out, it slammed down again. Ambulance came, and neighbors, who lived next door, they are the ones who I scared, saying i sounded like an animal. Not a human.

NEVER, leave those windows up without a stick propped in. I lived there 13yrs, that first week taught me about the broken pulleys.
Wow - reading your story actually scared me. What a hard way to learn a "lesson."

Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
" When did builders stop using rope and pulley windows?"

Well, that's an easy answer-
When window companies stopped manufacturing them.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portgas View Post
I own a house in NJ which was built in 1931 and still has "rope" windows. I am in the process of rebuilding them since I refuse to "upgrade" to modern windows. Note that pulley cord made today contains a reinforced core which will remain intact for decades. Sash chain can be used instead if you are still concerned with new cord breaking. I weatherseal each window with spring bronze which forms a airtight seal. These windows were made from wood harvested from old growth forests which is very dense and extremely resistant to rot and water damage. To those who cherish old homes your windows are "golden". My original windows incude triple track storms which help keep my home warm in the winter. Since moving into this home in 1976 none of the original sash cords have broken.

I would not exchange these windows for today's "modern" windows.

Mel

We have them. House built in the 1920s. They are fine and work well. I think they stopped making them after WWII.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:28 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Too bad they are an energy nightmare......

Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 PM

192 posts, read 257,783 times
If they are attractive the vintage windows make great decorative elements inside a shabby chic cottage style home as well as make tables and decoupage artwork. If you take them out don't throw away any good ones they can be sold online to artists or to salvage dealers. They can get really pricy for big ones.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Our place in a historic area still has them. The house is on the National Historic Register so removing and replacing the windows is probably not a good idea. They look decent enough once the dozen layers of paint are gone and don't seem to leak much because they're covered by storm windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House