Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which appearance/style do you find most attractive for a home?
Brick 30 28.57%
Shingled 6 5.71%
Clapboard 6 5.71%
Victorian 25 23.81%
Stone 29 27.62%
Craftsman 30 28.57%
Stucco 6 5.71%
Mediterranean 19 18.10%
Log/Cabin 9 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,893,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I vote Craftsman (but I'm biased because I live in a historic 1916 bungalow )
I voted Victorian because I own a historic c.1892 brick Victorian

... but seriously, there is no single "Victorian" style; my house is what they call a "French Second Empire Victorian" because it has a slate Mansard Roof and is symmetrical with an ornate cornice. Other styles of Victorian residential architecture include: Gothic Revival, Queen Anne, Italianate, Eclectic, Colonial Revival, Vernacular, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM

41,830 posts, read 74,878,087 times
I like any style house as long as it has a decent sized front porch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
all except stucco!!!
I hear ya. Why does (most) stucco always look so rundown and dirty?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,533,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Well -- each house style has it's own good points and looks good in it's style. I think what screws it up for me is when you take a house that is completely one style and decide it's going to be another..... like out here, people are buying Victorians and gutting them to be completely modern in the interior. It's like walking into the time warp.... jarring and wrong.

There is a huge difference between restoring and "renovating" One brings back the historic charm, the other makes a mess that appeals to almost no one. Something that so few people understand.

We meticulously restored an 1893 home in California. It took a lot of careful work. However people walked in and their mouths dropped open. "I did nto realize that there was anything like this in Southern California, this is amazing". The work was 905 done when we sold the house. It was trulely stunning. WE kept everything that there was that was original or even early remodeling and got rid of the awful modernizations and replaced them with period materials or reproductions. The guy who bought the house told us how he was impressed with what we had done and how he had restored many historical houses and been recognized for his restorations. He said that he would finish the house and make it into a classic example of how to restore, not renovate. He then proceeded to rip out almost every historical element and spent $250,000 doinf the following:

Cover the antique hardwood floors with engeineered floring materials.

Remove the classic light fixtures and reaplce them with Home depot crap.

Remove portions of the 16" sculpted baseboard moldins and replace them, or portions of them with 3' plain white plastic rectangular molding.

Rip out the period kitchen and try to turn it into something resembling a 1950s diner or a coca-cola commercial. Sure a 1950s diner looking kitchen would be neat in some places, but in an 1893 victorian house? Just plain silly.

Partially repaint the exterior using colors that do not work with the existing colors that were not painted over.

Tear off all of the appropriate period reproduction wall paper and paint the whole interior the same mustard yellow while framing each wall with hideous modern plastic moldings.

I do nto remember the rst of the rumuddling. He did some electrical work and installed a new roof that was necessary, but otherwise, he spent $250,000 eradicating every elment of history or charm form the house. He then tried to sell it at a $250,000 profit. The at a $100,000 profit. Then at break even, then at a slight loss. Eventually it sold for $350,000 less than he paid us for it. Part of that was the market, but a lot was the destruction of every bit of charm or history remaining in or returned to the house.

I really do not feel sorry for him at all. Some people need to be squeezed out of the "remodeling" or "restoration" business.

Anyway back to the OP.

THe only places that I remember seeing new houses that replicate orlder styles with any reasonable accuracy are some Habitat for Humanity houses in Santa Ana California, and some modern subdivision houses in a place called "New Pointe" in Beaufort South Carolina. There is also a pretty neat prairie style replica where we live, but it is an expensive custom home. Otherwise most attempts to replicate classic styles are disasters, usually the windows are one of the worst problems.

If you really like the style of older homes, and you are looking for a home to love rather than an investment, then get an actual historic house and restore it, or find one that is properly restored (or un-renovate and restore one that someone has remuddled). You will lose money on the effort, but it is nto about making money.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 987 times
Question stone house???

could someone please tell me where the stone house is located? Would love to explore the layout and architecture of the interior of the building? please help!!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,812,731 times
For me a log home. Always wanted one in the mountains. There's a show on HGTV or DIY that shows some log homes, most are pretty insane as far as price and sq footage. I would like a two bedroom with a loft, rock fireplace and a front porch. Some day...

Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,793,220 times
Darn! I already voted in this poll, and I don't know what I voted. I can chose a style today, but I'll bet a liked something different two years ago!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,574,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Darn! I already voted in this poll, and I don't know what I voted. I can chose a style today, but I'll bet a liked something different two years ago!
This thread is so old I'm sure your taste has changed since then anyway.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,012,371 times
Quote:
all except stucco!!!
Completely agree.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 AM

3,512 posts, read 7,758,175 times
I'm surprised brick scored so high. I think those red bricks are so old fashioned, reminds me of old inner city brick row homes, but the stone is a nice look.

Quote:
all except stucco!!!
I'll take stucco over vinyl or aluminum siding any day of the week. There are certainly worse choices than stucco.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,574,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I'm surprised brick scored so high. I think those red bricks are so old fashioned, reminds me of old inner city brick row homes, but the stone is a nice look.

I'll take stucco over vinyl or aluminum siding any day of the week. There are certainly worse choices than stucco.

Likeeeeeeeeeeee............mud hut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House