Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times

Advertisements

My roof is a dark color and I've heard that painting it white will help keep the attic and house cooler. Is this true?

If so, what kind of paint should be used and who should I get (painter or roofer) to do it? How long will such a paint job last in hot Houston? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
It'll help, but attic insulation is a better investment. Look at the elastomeric paints like Kool-seal if you want to pursue it.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Agree - insulate attic space and install attic fans. It will look better and last longer

Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks! I'm having a guy come out next week at add some insulation -- and I'm looking at solar attic fans, as well.

I had just read about someone who had her roof painted white and how much it reduced her energy bills. If it works, even just a little, it seems as though it'd be worth the investment. However, I wouldnt want to do it if it has to be repainted every few years.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Thanks! I'm having a guy come out next week at add some insulation -- and I'm looking at solar attic fans, as well.

I had just read about someone who had her roof painted white and how much it reduced her energy bills. If it works, even just a little, it seems as though it'd be worth the investment. However, I wouldnt want to do it if it has to be repainted every few years.
Most important is if you paint your shingles you will void any warranty that might be on them. Painted shingles will also trap water beneath them and degrade the shingles faster. Shingles need to breath to dry. To answer the original question there are very few paints that would survive our Texas heat that way and most likely you would be repainting to maintain the coating. Those paints that would possibly survive are very expensive. There are what are called "Cool Roof" paints but those I have seen only warrant for basically 5 years. The reported quality "Cool Roof" coatings can be expensive and only worth applying if you have sufficient life left in the shingles to warrant a 5 year period.

There have been many studies about the differences between light and dark asphalt shingles and their affects on solar gain, attic temperatures, energy loss, etc. Depending on whose view (shingle manufacturer, cool roof coating installer, etc.) you will receive different opinions. Many of the studies performed though show relatively small differences in effects. I say relative because in the Houston temperatures (not much different from DFW) when this sun comes down that attic is going to get hot regardless if it is a white or dark shingle. I've been in enough of both during this heat and hot is hot!

All of the temperature issues can be partly or wholly compensated for using other means such as sufficient attic ventilation, additional insulation, some of the aftermarket radiant barriers, etc. In my opinion you are better off spending your money in these areas than using the "Cool roof" coatings on standard asphalt shingles. These other improvements will be around regardless of what shingle is placed over your decking. When you get near the time your roof requires replacing you can then investigate even better roof systems such as specially coated and configured galvalume roofs, etc. At that time you might even decide to invest in solar panels given your location.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Another vote to not bother with painting the shingles. One of my neighbors in Jax did it, and while he did reduce his attic temperature somewhat, he hasn't seen a very noticeable decrease in utility bills. Plus, he now has a hideously ugly roof.

Invest your money in insulation, ventilation, and radiant barrier, preferably in that order. Also, if your duct work runs through the attic, check for any leaks and make sure it is insulated properly, as well.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 AM

Thanks so much, everyone! Your comments and advice have made me decide against the roof painting. Hopefully, the added insulation and solar attic fans will do the job. Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 12,567 times
I live in a moblie home with no attic to insulate in Palm Springs, Calif. Was told my roof would last a little longer by painting it white. I have asphalt shingles that are already white. Any suggestions here???

Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Depends on what code will allow you to do. Around here, some people build a lightweight regular roof right over a singlewide.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
We use elastomeric white coatings on flat or low-pitched roofs like your mobile all the time. The coating lasts about five years in our sun, then you usually just re-coat over top.

The coating is more expensive the first time, because they usually coat the roof with ordinary tar, embed some fabric, then more tar, then more fabric, then the white coating. Once it's done right, a re-coat is cheap & quick.

But we don't get nearly as much rain in Phoenix as you do in Florida.. Might be worth asking your neighbors with white roofs how theyre holding up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House