U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,276,000 times

Advertisements

I've only used my dishwasher for 2-mos, 3-times/wk. This is my first time using one (mostly rented old apts which didn't have them), so I have no idea what's usual maintenance.

From about the 2nd week, it began to smell of sour milk each time I opened the door... it's so strong now, it almost makes me wretch.

I searched online to find several solutions (didn't find one on this site, unless I missed it):

* Run a wash cycle with lemonaide
* Run a wash cycle with Tang (I'm guessing the orange might stain the white interior, however?)
* Place a cup of vinegar upright inside the dw & run a wash cycle
* Pour vinegar, lemon juice, borax OR bleach (not all together, but separately) into the compartments which snap closed & run a wash cycle
* Put your regular soap pellet/liquid into the compartment & run the hottest, longest wash cycle
* Someone said it's egg remnants which cause the smell & if they pre-wash eggy dishes, it doesn't happen... I don't think that's the issue for me

Before I do all of those... I'd just begin with the easiest/cheapest & work my way down the list for something which worked, has anyone dealt with this & have a sure fire solution?

If this helps, I use Finish gelpacs.

Also, am I supposed to run an empty dw (with soap or one of the ingredients listed above) once per wk/mo as normal maintenance?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 AM

21,591 posts, read 23,714,857 times
You might want to try this:
Dishwasher Deodorizing | ThriftyFun
Sour Smell in Dishwashers | eHow.com
Good luck!!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:47 AM

23,443 posts, read 17,985,044 times
1/4 cup of borax will do the trick.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Thank you El... I found the 2nd before, which is how I got 1/2 my list of fixes, but... the 1st link had something which might be the culprit. I have small yogurt containers I wash in the dw as I use them to measure herbs or hold eggs/onions for cooking. Of course, they always tip over & get filled with water.

I routinely dump them into the dw... I assumed the water just drained from the bottom... maybe it just sits there. Oops... Since I only use the dw every 2-3 days, that may just be the problem.

Thank you!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
1/4 cup of borax will do the trick.
Hi Kshe... nice to see you again!

Since I think I found the cause, I will get some borax tomorrow (I saw it in some store... Target maybe?) & run it through to remove the sour smell. Thank you very much!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Hi Kshe... nice to see you again!

Since I think I found the cause, I will get some borax tomorrow (I saw it in some store... Target maybe?) & run it through to remove the sour smell. Thank you very much!
Borax really works, it doesnt harm the environment, and it also cleans the gunk out of your dishwasher, glad I could help!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Borax really works, it doesnt harm the environment, and it also cleans the gunk out of your dishwasher, glad I could help!
As I began poking about shelves (I'm impatient & didn't want to wait for Target to open), I pulled out my giant tub 'o OxyClean I'd forgotten about. I used it to whiten some work shirts awhile ago & don't use it for anything else. I put a scoop of Oxy into the detergent container with one of the gelpacs & put it on the High Temp/Scour cycle. The smell is gone. Maybe I should do it on a regular basis... every few wks or so just as a maintenance cleaning.

When I use up the tub of Oxy (I've got 2-3 cups left), I'll get some borax. I can't remember what else I needed borax for, but I have come across it as a suggestion & wondered where to get it. Actually, I thought they stopped making it long ago. When I was a kid, my mum always had a borax in the utility room... I think for the 4 lads' grass/mud stains from playing sports.

Thanks again.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 AM

2,901 posts, read 6,715,210 times
I use 20 mule team borax all the time to raise the Ph of my pool.

Frank

Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 AM

3,198 posts, read 3,361,697 times
after a variety of diy solutions with varying success, i spent $5 on something called 'dishwasher magic.' it helped a ton.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I use 20 mule team borax all the time to raise the Ph of my pool.

Frank
We use borax for all sorts of things, did you know its a natural bug extermination tool in its paste state?
Love that stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House