U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:35 PM

34,510 posts, read 40,003,623 times
Default Steam mop used on berber carpet

Y'all have seen the ads for steam mops. NOT a carpet steamer - but the mops that use regular water, put out steam and have micro covers on them to use on hardwood floors, tile, vinyl, etc.

Well, I have some berber carpet that my son's dog slobbers on when he sleeps and it looks nasty after my "grandpup" (a 200 lb. Dane) has slept there for a while. I am thinking about getting a steam mop and using it to refresh the carpet and hopefully sanitize it and get the dirt out that is attracted to wet areas on the carpet (the carpet is a very light color).

I have read a few reviews online saying folks are using these steam mops to "refresh" their carpets and get out sticky stuff the kids leave behind . . . and so I was thinking maybe this was a solution for my situation.

So . . . I wondered if any of you have used a steam mop made for hard surface floors as a method to freshen up and sanitize carpeting.

Thank you for any info you can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM

10,653 posts, read 5,818,233 times
Those steam mops are designed for hard surfaces like tile and hardwood, not carpet. All that slobber and garbage will seep into the carpet and possibly the padding underneath. In that kind of situation you need to get a deep cleaning wet vaccum.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM

11,102 posts, read 24,036,806 times
Don't do it. Totally different concepts are involved between steam mops and carpet extraction.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 AM

Well . . . I have a carpet steamer for carpet cleaning . . . and I have a small Bissell hand held steamer for carpet cleaning . . . but they are a hassle to haul out and no way I am gonna get that big carpet cleaner out several times a week to clean up slobber, lol.

I am talking about berber . . . it is very different than other types of carpet.

So no one has tried it?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM

Why not just get the dog a section of carpet as a bed? He could slobber all he wants and you could toss it in a sink or washer, hose it off, or just replace it.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Why not just get the dog a section of carpet as a bed? He could slobber all he wants and you could toss it in a sink or washer, hose it off, or just replace it.
Really appreciate the suggestion, Harry. We have gotten him his whole rug but there is no confining this horse of a dog ("My Little Pony"). He is sweet as can be but wherever he settles down is where he ends up sleeping during day time visits. And we are so happy to get him to just lie down (he is so big - hard on furniture, his happy tail makes bruises on our legs, etc) . . . we just let him stay where he wants to stay (during the day). He gets up every few minutes and relocates every time he hears a noise . . . it is just kind of a challenging situation at times. At nite he has his own bed at his house.

Oh well. I had read on several different forums that folks have used their hard surface "mops" for such things and was hoping someone on this forum had tried it on berber. I am not inclined to buy something w/o hearing from other folks how it worked out for them. Guess it is back to the Little Green Machine hand held carpet cleaner and treats to entice him to his own rug, lol.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 AM

LOL! Guess you are doing what you can. A friend from college days had a klutzy Labrador that sounds similar. You know, the type that would be happy to go to sleep with head in water bowl?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:06 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,860,647 times
I thought some of those hard floor steamers had a floating attachment for carpets...think it was a Shark, where you can attach a glider of some sort to refresh carpets, thought I saw that on an infomercial...?? I googled it...see below...

http://www.amazon.com/Microfiber-Rep.../dp/B002YQKTCM

Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! Guess you are doing what you can. A friend from college days had a klutzy Labrador that sounds similar. You know, the type that would be happy to go to sleep with head in water bowl?
Yep! You have the right image, lol! He is adorable - very very sweet natured but a klutz! And he loves his "grammy and grampy" so he wants to be near us every moment when he is at our house.

As for water bowls - we have our regular session with the bowl being knocked over . . .maybe I should just spread plastic all over the floors?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I thought some of those hard floor steamers had a floating attachment for carpets...think it was a Shark, where you can attach a glider of some sort to refresh carpets, thought I saw that on an infomercial...?? I googled it...see below...

Amazon.com: 4 Microfiber Replacement Pads Compatible with Euro-pro Shark Steam Mop with Carpet Attachment.: Home & Garden
It appears that is something along the lines of what I had seen, too. Thank you Nynraleigh! The reviews on it are mixed, tho.

Oh, I hope someone has used this method and can tell me whether or not it is workable on berber or that I should just forget it! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House