U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-20-2011, 02:23 PM

433 posts, read 2,415,024 times

Advertisements

Hi, I believe I have a wasps nest in a covered (metal grate to keep out birds' nests) exhaust vent from my kitchen.

I found one live wasp in a bedroom yesterday, and today there was one attempting to escape from one of my recessed lights in the kitchen. I sat outside for awhile and observed some wasps entering and exiting the exhaust vent from my kitchen. This vent is covered with a metal grate thing.

What should I do to get rid of this wasp problem? I don't want to spray poisons up the exhaust vent because that is directly connected to the duct work. If I call an exterminator can they vacuum out the nest? I prefer an eco-friendly solution.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:40 PM

3,360 posts, read 10,442,961 times
Call an exterminator to get rid of them. There may be thousands in there. The exterminator can get them all. It may be expensive but worth it. Those sprays are only going to anger them and the main nest will attack. Get a pro.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Call an exterminator to get rid of them. There may be thousands in there. The exterminator can get them all. It may be expensive but worth it. Those sprays are only going to anger them and the main nest will attack. Get a pro.
Okay, I can call an exterminator. But how will they get rid of them? I really don't want any sprays or dusts up there because that is directly connected to the ductwork. Does anyone know what they might do to get rid of them? I imagine this is a pretty common problem because it is hard to keep wasps out of a covered exhaust vent.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:50 PM

Does one or two live wasps inside the house indicate that there is a nest in the walls/ceilings/air ducts? We live in a very rural area so a wasps' nest in the covered exhaust vent may or may not be a problem.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

3,360 posts, read 10,442,961 times
Let the exterminator determine if there is a problem. sometimes there can be thousands of wasps or bees and you cannot see them. One or two in the house may only mean one or two, but it can also mean thousands and you are only seeing the tip of the iceburg. Better to have a professional check it out.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 PM

3,351 posts, read 10,920,412 times
Get a professional and let them use whatever they feel will work.

I had a wasp nest in a shrub in the back yard. I got nailed when I was mowing the grass. At night I used a flashlight to take a look, and found a nest about the size of a soccer ball. I knew that the cans of wasp spray would run out before I could kill them all, so I called a professional.

He sprayed the nest for almost 30 minutes. They just kept coming out and flying around. He stood very still about 15 feet from the nest. He told me that as long as he didn't move, they wouldn't "see" him. It was really strange. They would come flying out of the nest and go right by him looking for the enemy.

After about 3 days I cut the nest out of the shrub and put it on a table on my patio (I wanted to keep it). Wasps would crawl out and die for almost a week. There were dozens on the table after a week.

Get a professional.
Attached Thumbnails
Wasps next in covered exhaust vent-p1020302.jpg   Wasps next in covered exhaust vent-p1020304.jpg  

Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,246,267 times
i think there is a nest of some sore somewhere on my neighbors property, but near the fence that divides our properties. recently i have noticed the presence of several wasps and hornets. i read that you arent supposed to kill hornets by squashing them because the other nearby hornets will attack. i have tried making traps out of sugar water and soap but nothing has worked so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House