Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,333 times

Advertisements

I inherited my parents property seveal years ago. The main house is being rented and I would like to renovate the smaller house on the property. The square footage is about 435. I would like to gut the whole interior and start over. Since the house has been empty for about 20 years and was built by my father about 50 years ago, I think we will have to have all new plumbing and electical. The house is all brick, including inside, no drywall, so will have to have that done, new floors, kitchen and bath. I would like to put in a Murphy bed as well. There is no hookup or plumbing for a washer/dryer or dishwasher. Will this be expensive? I figure about $25,000 will cover everything. I can do this in stages. What other things should I include. I plan to rent it out, also. Where should I start? The property in in Washington State. I live across the country in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
If the house is only 435 square feet are you sure you want to put in a washer and dryer? Personally, as someone who has rented small houses in the past I would much prefer to have a good sized living room and bedroom, than to give up as much space as a washer and dryer take. Maybe a stacked unit in the bathroom, or in the kitchen might work - but definitely not a standard size washer and dryer.

I would also rethink the Murphy bed - aren't they expensive to install? And most people own a bed. If I'm renting a house, I'm not going to give up my bed, or pay for storage, just because there's a Murphy bed.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:24 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
My husband's first house was only 500 sft. It was a one bedroom house. He gutted the whole house and made some modifications that helped a lot with putting in as much as he could. He made a good sized bath by removing the tub and putting in a shower. This created more space in the bedroom. The house originally had a space heater so when he installed the furnace, he built a wall around it and created access by putting in a bifold door. The kitchen was the largest room. There was no laundry area. When I moved in with him he was just starting the kitchen. He had been going to the laundromat for several years. I detest going to the laundromat especially in the winter. We took 5 feet off the kitchen, put up a wall and created a laundry area by the back door. Having laundry will be a huge plus to a renter. Even if you create a laundry closet.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
look for smaller sinks and such in places that cater to RVs. might also gets a few ideas.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:47 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Is there an IKEA store within driving distance. At the store in my area they have 2 complete apartments or "micro houses" about the size you are aiming for. Some really good ideas. Also noticed, if you google, there are several books on small house plans under 500 sq feet. Maybe even your library has some things. I would not rent a place without onsite laundry.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
now I gotta find an Ikea. See how they do it, and if I can.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
look into boat and rv design for ideas on how to make the most out of small spaces.
and i would agree a small apartment sized stackable (or those pre-stacked units that come as one peice) would be a huge plus.

keeping the linving/kitchen open plan would also eb a huge help and dont try and fit a bathtub into that space, instead id go with a small but nicely upgraded shower.

right now i live quite comofrotably in about 400sqft, its a studio layout and just me, but it woks well, i have a full bath, a usable galley kitchen. my queen size bed and 2 sets of draws fit n my bedroom, a full sectional fits in the livingroom...its certainly doable. im not sure if id give up cabinate space in the kitchen for a dishwasher though...its a nice bonus but i prefer having the cabinate space ina small kitchen..especially since tll be a single person or a childless couple and it takes 2 people a while to fill a dishwasher so id personally save that space and use it for more cabinate space.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
For the kitchen you might consider the under counter drawer style dishwashers. You could choose only one drawer. Kitchens .com - Drawer Dishwashers

You could also do the drawer set-up for the refridgerator and freezer thus leaving the area where a traditional refridgerator might fit for the stack washer/dryer unit. If you are going to replace appliances you might consider an apartment sized oven/range combo instead of full size (think 20"-24" instead of 30" or larger). They used to be popular in what were once called "efficiency kitchens". Think Mary Tyler Moore's apartment.

Some small kitchen ideas here: 10 More Must-See Small Cool Kitchens Small Cool Kitchens 2011 | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn

As a rental I'm not certain I'd want to put the money into sheetrocking over all of the brick. Perhaps sheet rock only the bedroom? You could always paint the brick if the idea is to lighten up the interior but if it is old red brick many people really love that look.

If you have to replace the roof consider installing a sun tunnel to bring extra light into the interior.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:13 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickie5209 View Post
Where should I start? The property in in Washington State. I live across the country in Virginia.

That should answer a lot of questions. You have a logistical nightmare.
Regardless of "how" you accomplish your goal- I'd be having a few GCs (general contractors) go look at the place and give you some insight as to finish and cost. Then you could decide if this is a project that needs a GC, or you want to tackle yourself, or maybe it should just be left alone. The main thing that the GCs will be able to direct you with is today's codes- which that house seriously lacks.
And remember, the cheapest way to gain sq/ft. is to go up. And since the structure is all brick- I think it would be safe to assume that the foundation could handle the additional weight.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
You can also use antique train o apartment fixtures. We found a net tiny corner sink from 1890. It is really pretty and fits well.

USe PEX for the plumbing. It is easy to feed through the walls and no soldering. It lasts basically forever.

I necessary you can surface mount conduit for wiring. If well done it can look nice, looks like molding. You do nto want to rip out brick walls. It will cost a fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House