Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,330 times

Advertisements

I noticed once last year and twice this week, during high temps 100+, the pilot light in my hot water heater goes out. The hot water heater is located in the attic. The home is fairly new. 4 years old. I called several plumbers in the area for their opinion and did research online to figure out what could be wrong. I had a suspicion it had to do with the lack of air, high temps and humidity. I was correct in my assumption. So I just wanted to make anyone else aware that may be having this problem. I think the fix may be a larger flute/vent or some attic fans. Or perhaps moving the hot water heater the garage. I am not sure why these builders put it in the attic on the first place.

"Pilot light goes out due to high ambient temperature

The most frequent scenario with the pilot outage is when the water heater is installed in the spaces like attic or garage and where the ventilation is the issue (insufficient amount of incoming fresh air).

Water heater installation in the attic is especially problematic, due to the high temperature of the surrounding air, poor ventilation and little to no traffic. Poor ventilation means lack of incoming fresh air for combustion, resulting in improper gas combustion.

How to recognize improper gas combustion?

Observe what is happening inside the combustion chamber of your water heater, using the sight window on the unit, if it is present. Flame on the main burner will change the color, from light blue to yellow and red. Such a condition will also result in the flame pattern change, first it will light smoothly, and then you will see luminous burner flame that will eventually flatten out.

If during the summer months the air that surrounds the water heater is higher than tank's set temperature, the thermostat won't open the gas valve to light the main burner. Heat produced by the pilot flame is not enough to make a condition for natural draft, so all the oxygen will burn up and pilot light will extinguish.

Also, if there is a poor ventilation, the hot air tends to rise up, and the combustion air from the attic doesn't come down to provide the oxygen to the burner, resulting in the pilot outage."

Last edited by StanFischlerHockE; 07-25-2011 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 AM

17 posts, read 67,825 times
thanks for posting. I just had to go up in the attic to re-light the pilot light for the water heater this morning.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:26 PM

96 posts, read 477,780 times
Thanks for posting this. Ran into the same thing today.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Oh thank God, I'm not crazy. I kept saying that the water heater needed better ventilation. Now I have been exonerated.

Last edited by ShaneSA; 07-25-2011 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 37,274 times
I dont know why any F------ conctrator would put a hot water heater in an attic that temps will reach over 130 degrees on any summer day. your attic at 9 am is at 90 degrees at noon well over 115 them by 3 pm 130. i have an attic fan set at 105 its on all day and night temps dont come down until end of september. water heaters dont belong there, they should be in a basement , gagrage or storage rooms mind you nice job on the contractor. Tony V from ATV construction NY 20 yrs in the bussiness

Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 37,274 times
i dont know why any f------ conctrator would put a hot water heater in an attic that temps will reach over 130 degrees on any summer day. your attic at 9 am is at 90 degrees at noon well over 115 them by 3 pm 130. i have an attic fan set at 105 its on all day and night temps dont come down until end of september. water heaters dont belong there, they should be in a basement , gagrage or storage rooms mind you nice job on the contractor.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
While I agree that attic location is stupid I have seen hundred in Texas attics that have no problem at all.If the attic is ventlated there plenty of oxygen in the attic to burn. the natural gas. Hot air is not necesarily lacking oxygen either.Ever see natural gas burning in a very hot furnace chamber?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 8,588 times
So the answer to keeping the pilot light from going out is to have better ventilation in the Attic. Could someone suggest what type of ventilation? In my research I've read that attic fans aren't good to have. So what do you do when you're in Texas and your water heater is constantly going out even when it's a new water heater? Do you need a roofer to come install an attic fan and about what would this cost? My roof was replaced two years ago and the roofèr said it had it adequate ventilation but the water heater guy says it doesn't!

Old 08-02-2017, 02:33 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,140 times
The potential problem, and it's a big one, with adding a bunch of powered attic exhaust where any natural draft equipment resides is that you could easily back draft the flue leaving you with an attic full of flue gas (Co).

Old 08-02-2017, 06:01 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparker77493 View Post
.. the roofèr said it had it adequate ventilation but the water heater guy says it doesn't!
Clearly, they're both right- but for different reasons. "Ventilation" for an "attic" and "roof" is not the same thing as "ventilation" for a gas-fired appliance.

This reminds me of the problem that heatpump water heaters have in insulated attics. Easy fix- just needs a auxiliary air supply from the exterior connected to the air intake grate that is on most newer water heaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House