Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times

Advertisements

Geez... if I had a bid for my tree that cheap I would remove mine. I have a quote for my maple tree at 1500... it is about 10 feet bigger then yours but it is in the back yard, close to the house and power lines also... of course this is Madison, WI... everything is high here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Geez... if I had a bid for my tree that cheap I would remove mine. I have a quote for my maple tree at 1500... it is about 10 feet bigger then yours but it is in the back yard, close to the house and power lines also... of course this is Madison, WI... everything is high here
Indeed - I'm lucky to live in a very low cost-of-living area. Mind you, wages/salaries/incomes here (just north of Flint, MI) tend to be correspondingly low so it probably sort of evens out...

Coalman, yikes on that video. I sat on my roof (LOL) and watched as he took out the top-most part of each trunk. Using a heavy rope, he tied a knot, then the same piece of rope was tied about 3' below the upper knot. He had the bucket above where he'd tied the knots, then sawed through in between the two knots so when the top canopy fell, it didn't crash to the ground but was held together by the rope. (If that makes sense.) Then he trimmed the canopy branches, untied the rope and sort of swung the remaining part of the trunk away from the bucket so it landed right on the pile of big logs.

There's definitely an art to this process. I've climbed trees or up on my roof and taken out smaller branches with a puny chainsaw or handsaw, and even small branches fall with quite a bit of force.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There's various sizes, might want to check with your local rental place. Stump grinding is not rocket science, monotonous to tell you the truth.

This is similar to the one my brother owned, *might* fit into that space. The outside wheels are removable. They have smaller ones including manual ones that aren't much bigger than the width of a push lawnmower.
Thanks for your reply. I'll look into that.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
Quote:
Have you ever had a tree removed? How much did it cost? Any horror stories?
I just had a dead pine tree that was mostly over my house removed. I contacted a new company and they gave me a great price of $275 which was below my other estimates.

They lowered each piece of the tree with rope to the ground. Sorry this is not a horror story, but has a happy ending. So if you are in my area (West Palm Beach, FL), I wholeheartedly recommend them. I would think that the price they gave me would be possible almost anywhere because we are in hurricane season here and this type of work is more expensive at this time of year.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-26-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 06:18 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo01 View Post
I just had a dead pine tree that was mostly over my house removed. I contacted a new company and they gave me a great price of $275 which was below my other estimates.

They lowered each piece of the tree with rope to the ground. Sorry this is not a horror story, but has a happy ending. So if you are in my area (West Palm Beach, FL), I wholeheartedly recommend them. I would think that the price they gave me would be possible almost anywhere because we are in hurricane season here and this type of work is more expensive at this time of year.

This seems low $$$.... Make sure your choice of tree removal crew has insurance before they set foot on your property.. I do not mean "Ask" and let them tell you "Yes" Check and call the provider for verification... or you can do like the Dumbass behind me and just let if continue to drop branches - on top of the play set where you let your kids play and kids from the neighborhood.. Have company over and let their kids play on the play set...
June 30, 2014
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...22-08/006c.jpg
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...22-08/011c.jpg

July 4, 2014
http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/p2.../013c.jpg.html
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...22-08/014c.jpg

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and small nuclear weapons ...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-26-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,305 times
I think it's a good idea to pass this along. We have about 5 acres of mostly trees. The entire property is fenced with chain link, and so we have a lot of trees dying, hit by lightening etc. For the most part we have used one company for the past 20 years even though I've always thought they were more expensive than they should be. We had a huge tree fall across our driveway on labor day and found we could not leave as we were driving up the driveway to meet some friends for the day.

Some neighbors helped cut the tree up and clear the drive, but we then noticed a huge oak behnd the fallen tree that was dead and sure to fall across the power lines on our street if left to fall naturally. We called out tree servce co, Cowart, and they promptly came out the next day and gave us an estimate for $2500 to take the tree down and cart it off. My ripoff antenna went off immediately, although I said nothing at the time. I called a second company for an estimate, and they came the next day and gave me an estimate for $450, a 2050 difference and agreed to take another smaller dead maple down at the same time for no additional charge.

The second guy probably recognized a potential regular customer as he could see 5 acres of hardwoods on what is virgin land, so we are constantly having tree issues. Just wanted to share how easy it is to get ripped off even by a company that you've done business with for 20 years. He thought I was too stupid to understand it wasn[t that hard to drop the tree away from the power lines, and gave me this line of BS like a use car salesman. I am really disappointed with the company, but glad I've found another one. BTW the second company has also been in business a very long time with bucket trucks, 36000 ton bulldozers and does big and small jobs, similar to the first company. I've learned a valuable lesson, again, but I had used this ine company for so long I had come to trust them. My mistake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House