Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kinds of things would dissuade you (or count as serious negatives) from purchasing a given hous
Narrow stairways 39 33.05%
Only one bathroom 75 63.56%
Shag carpeting 20 16.95%
Gas appliances 11 9.32%
Holes in some walls 23 19.49%
Minor code violations 24 20.34%
Tiny bedrooms 63 53.39%
Tiny lawn 42 35.59%
No garage (outside parking) 72 61.02%
No man cave 4 3.39%
Smell of cat pee 81 68.64%
"Illegal" rooms (code-violating rooms) 56 47.46%
"Snout" house (house with prominent attached garage) 25 21.19%
Non-granite countertops 0 0%
Located in the vicinity of business 44 37.29%
McMansion appearance 33 27.97%
Lot in a homeowner's association with strict rules 65 55.08%
Attached antenna tower / huge old satellite dish in yard 28 23.73%
In a neighborhood with RVs and boats parked outside 52 44.07%
In a neighborhood with uncut lawns 61 51.69%
In a neighborhood with cars on blocks 84 71.19%
None of these would dissuade me from buying a house 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times

Advertisements

personally a tiny garden (im looking for acreage)
a house in a HOA (i will NEVER EVER buy HOA)
or the smell of cat urine (i have pets, the smell of cat urine takes forever to get out of everything (it permiates the walls) and i wouldnt want to stress my own pets out...not to mention, anyone that left their house smellng of cat urine has probably neglected many other nessicary upkeep on the home too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
personally a tiny garden (im looking for acreage)
a house in a HOA (i will NEVER EVER buy HOA)
or the smell of cat urine (i have pets, the smell of cat urine takes forever to get out of everything (it permiates the walls) and i wouldnt want to stress my own pets out...not to mention, anyone that left their house smellng of cat urine has probably neglected many other nessicary upkeep on the home too.)
So wait, Foxy, did you buy the house with the strange kitchen or are you still looking?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
in the process of buying it.

wells fargo screwed up royally (i was told i could have the seller contribute all closing costs...then later told the seller could only contribute 3% (this is a conventional) so it almost fell through, but my agent put me intouch with a local broker and were trying to get it through a different program...and the seller can put all the closing costs in as origionally agreed lol.

should know by the end of next week if this is gonna work or not lol. seller has given us untill sept 7th to close (origonal date was Aug 7th)

Old 08-13-2011, 07:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Somethings I haven't seen mentioned - and are not on the poll:

1. Non potable water. Sorry, but drinking water is an absolute deal-breaker for me. And yes, we ran into this situation.

2. Cracks in the basement/foundation wall(s) - there are different kinds of cracks - I'm talking the kinds indicating some issue.

3. A house with no room for a 2nd septic and no possibility of sewer coming along soon (there was a situation discussed on here where someone bought a house with a bad septic and there was no room to put in a second one. The first failed, and left the property contaminated.

4. A house with a permanent (not drop) ceiling which hides another ceiling above it and not enough of an opening for an inspector to get up inside. What he did see was droppings and Bingo - bad situation and we passed on it.

5. Laid stone foundation.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Cemetaries are great to have nearby a house! It's like having a beautiful, well manicured park next door.

People go jogging, ride their bikes, take walks, walk their dogs in the cemeteries around here.

yeah, that what i was thinking too.

check out "green-wood" cemetary in brooklyn Ny, central park was designed after it. It is gorgeous

Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
I'd never buy a house with a small kitchen, since dh and I spend most of our time there.

Privacy is important. I'd never buy a house that you did not have *any* privacy from neighbors.

I wouldn't buy a house in a "rough" neighborhood were there is historically a lot of crime or other issues (drugs, junker cars, dogs running loose).

I wouldn't buy a house that was in a neighborhood with a lot of rental properties and especially if there were rental properties across the street or next door.

I am not fond of a lot of stairs, either.

Oddly, enough, looking at your list, I would probably not buy a house with an electric cooking stove. If I did, I would replace it immediately with a gas one.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'd never buy a house with a small kitchen, since dh and I spend most of our time there.

Privacy is important. I'd never buy a house that you did not have *any* privacy from neighbors.

I wouldn't buy a house in a "rough" neighborhood were there is historically a lot of crime or other issues (drugs, junker cars, dogs running loose).

I wouldn't buy a house that was in a neighborhood with a lot of rental properties and especially if there were rental properties across the street or next door.

I am not fond of a lot of stairs, either.

Oddly, enough, looking at your list, I would probably not buy a house with an electric cooking stove. If I did, I would replace it immediately with a gas one.

20yrsinBranson
Really, what don't people like about gas appliances? I prefer them, at least for the cooktop. For the oven I don't care one way or the other.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 AM

675 posts, read 1,815,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Cemetaries are great to have nearby a house! It's like having a beautiful, well manicured park next door.

People go jogging, ride their bikes, take walks, walk their dogs in the cemeteries around here.
Maybe I'm superstitious or chicken, but I don't want the cemetery next or in front of my house.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I believe in zoning! I had a beautiful home in Ohio, only four months old and I had to move out of state due to employment. My home was on a very nicely landscaped half acre. A few days after I listed the home our next door neighbors bought a battered PINK mobile home that was probably 40 years old. They parked it on their lawn right next to my property line. They didn't even level it, just used it for storage. There were no curtains in it, and you could plainly see junk piled floor-to-ceiling inside. was a horrible eyesore, and since there were no zoning laws there was nothing I could do about it. Everyone who looked at my home loved it but couldn't stand the ugly pink trailer. I finally sold the home at a big loss to a couple who got busted a few months later for growing marijuana in the house and garage. True story. That was my first home, and the experience made me appreciate zoning.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:36 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Really, what don't people like about gas appliances? I prefer them, at least for the cooktop. For the oven I don't care one way or the other.
I think they are saying they DO want a gas range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House