Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kinds of things would dissuade you (or count as serious negatives) from purchasing a given hous
Narrow stairways 39 33.05%
Only one bathroom 75 63.56%
Shag carpeting 20 16.95%
Gas appliances 11 9.32%
Holes in some walls 23 19.49%
Minor code violations 24 20.34%
Tiny bedrooms 63 53.39%
Tiny lawn 42 35.59%
No garage (outside parking) 72 61.02%
No man cave 4 3.39%
Smell of cat pee 81 68.64%
"Illegal" rooms (code-violating rooms) 56 47.46%
"Snout" house (house with prominent attached garage) 25 21.19%
Non-granite countertops 0 0%
Located in the vicinity of business 44 37.29%
McMansion appearance 33 27.97%
Lot in a homeowner's association with strict rules 65 55.08%
Attached antenna tower / huge old satellite dish in yard 28 23.73%
In a neighborhood with RVs and boats parked outside 52 44.07%
In a neighborhood with uncut lawns 61 51.69%
In a neighborhood with cars on blocks 84 71.19%
None of these would dissuade me from buying a house 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,711 times

Advertisements

I don't like oil heat either, maybe just don't feel comfortable with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 AM

445 posts, read 1,605,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I believe in zoning! I had a beautiful home in Ohio, only four months old and I had to move out of state due to employment. My home was on a very nicely landscaped half acre. A few days after I listed the home our next door neighbors bought a battered PINK mobile home that was probably 40 years old. They parked it on their lawn right next to my property line. They didn't even level it, just used it for storage. There were no curtains in it, and you could plainly see junk piled floor-to-ceiling inside. was a horrible eyesore, and since there were no zoning laws there was nothing I could do about it. Everyone who looked at my home loved it but couldn't stand the ugly pink trailer. I finally sold the home at a big loss to a couple who got busted a few months later for growing marijuana in the house and garage. True story. That was my first home, and the experience made me appreciate zoning.
Zoning and ordinances are all well and good ... BUT if there is no one to enforce them - they are not worth the time it took someone to write them.. I am awaiting action on three complaints right now When I get ready to sell my house, I guess I will have to take the county to court to force them to do what is spelled out in the ordinances...

Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
1. narrow steep stairs
2. huge yard, long driveway
3. right next to major road, RR tracks or highway
4. tiny kitchen.
5. water problems (like wet basement, siding too close to the ground, etc.)
6. Lack of closet/storage
7. All the bedrooms are small and some have sloped in ceilings.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:18 AM

58 posts, read 83,447 times
The cost of maintenance and the high prices, plus if you don't like the neighborhood......it's tough to sell. All these are among other things that would dissuade me.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I voted for "cat pee." It's extremely hard to remove and I actually DID pass on a house that was otherwise great because it smelled like cat pee. I don't mind houses that require a bit of work, but in my case, I needed something in relatively move-in condition. I wasn't comfortable with spending the money to tear out carpets and possibly replace the subfloor immediately after closing.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
I got a good deal on my house becuz of 'dog pee' stains all over the carpets (one of the reasons).

What we had to do was tear them all out, and my b/f rented a power sander and sanded all the sub-flooring. Then he put i forget HOW many coats of sealant on it, let it all dry thoroughly before we got more carpet put down.

It's been fine, but we worked on the house about a month before moving in. I cant do that now - i need something move-in condition.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:29 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I voted for "cat pee." It's extremely hard to remove and I actually DID pass on a house that was otherwise great because it smelled like cat pee. I don't mind houses that require a bit of work, but in my case, I needed something in relatively move-in condition. I wasn't comfortable with spending the money to tear out carpets and possibly replace the subfloor immediately after closing.
When we adopted our male cat he sprayed in a corner of our sunroom before we got him fixed. We tore out the carpet and the concrete underneath was saturated. We used every product known to man to clean it. We then replaced the carpet. The sunroom would get very humid in the summers and that smell would come back. It was horrible and embarrassing. I agree with you, cat pee is a horror!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:54 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,776 times
Aside from the obvious, like a bad neighborhood, the #1 aspect would be if the master bedroom's windows face the east. I've been fighting with the sun in my current home for 24 years.

Also, gas heat, granite, recessed lighting, a deck, a pool, no garage, soaring ceilings, stainless appliances, a hot tub, gigantic bathrooms, whirlpool bathtubs, windows in closets, washer and dryer hookup on the upper level near the bedrooms, cul-du-sac or pipestem, & lots and lots of windows would all be deal-breakers.

Last edited by Kembek; 08-29-2011 at 02:43 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 01:57 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Really, what don't people like about gas appliances? I prefer them, at least for the cooktop. For the oven I don't care one way or the other.
When I was a child, I saw the house behind my aunt's house blow up due to a gas leak. I'm terrified of gas and therefore have never lived in a house that had it.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:47 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
Aside from the obvious, like a bad neighborhood, the #1 aspect would be if the master bedroom's windows face the east. I've been fighting with the sun in my current home for 24 years.

Also, gas heat, granite, recessed lighting, a deck, a pool, no garage, soaring ceilings, stainless appliances, a hot tub, gigantic bathrooms, whirlpool bathtubs, windows in closets, washer and dryer hookup on the upper level near the bedrooms, cul-du-sac or pipestem, & lots and lots of windows would all be deal-breakers.
Really? A cul-de-sac is a dealbreaker? I don't believe I've heard of anyone with that dealbreaker before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House