U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:01 AM

201 posts, read 355,690 times
Default Anyone done a detached garage with upstairs living area?

We found a house that we like but afraid it's a bit small. Home is 4br and we really need 6 (5br+office), and there is no room to expand the main home. So, we thought of adding a bedroom, bath and office above the detached garage. Just curious if anyone here has done this?

The home has a newer detached 2 car garage, can we build a living area above that or would the garage not be likely to support the addition of water, heat, ac, weight, etc of a living area?

If we did this from the ground up, with a 3 car garage, any guess on price?

Home is in central Ohio to get an idea of cost

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 AM

20,798 posts, read 31,338,303 times
Would the bedroom above the garage be an office?? Why do you NEED 5 bedrooms?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:50 AM

17,190 posts, read 21,839,868 times
with common and simple finishing materials...
no less than $30,000 but easily up to $60,000.

the larger issue (in most areas) will be zoning.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:49 PM

Zoning should be okay, per my realtor. Just realized a major expense, sewage! That won't come cheap I'm sure. As for why we need 5 bedrooms, we plan to have 3 kids and want them in their own rooms, and being away from our families (relocating) would like a guest room. Office would be separate, but hopefully would have a sleeper sofa as to serve as a 2nd guest room.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:07 PM

17,190 posts, read 21,839,868 times
My comment about zoning is because I did allow for the septic (and water and electric sub panel etc)...
and that regardless of the intended use for the space currently the project will include a full bathroom,
separate room areas presumably with doors (and closets) and at least have mechanical capacity for a second full kitchen.

When you submit building plans for approvals and permits that person at the county office will make these observations as well and then point out the other current construction (building code) minimums for living space in your area.

With all due respect to your RE sales person...
whatever the rules in your area are (or aren't) for complete "granny unit" apartments in detached buildings I highly recommend you get that in writing from an official source and ideally an architect or local contractor as well before wading too far into expensive choices based on anything less that.

Have fun designing and building your project.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-13-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
My comment about zoning is because I did allow for the septic (and water and electric sub panel etc)...
and that regardless of the intended use for the space currently the project will include a full bathroom,
separate room areas presumably with doors (and closets) and at least have mechanical capacity for a second full kitchen.

When you submit building plans for approvals and permits that person at the county office will make these observations as well and then point out the other current construction (building code) minimums for living space in your area.

With all due respect to your RE sales person...
whatever the rules in your area are (or aren't) for complete "granny unit" apartments in detached buildings I highly recommend you get that in writing from an official source and ideally an architect or local contractor as well before wading too far into expensive choices based on anything less that.

Have fun designing and building your project.
thanks for the info. I have a feeling when all is said and done, we'll just find the house that has adequate space, and avoid this project all together. we just love the house, was recently redone, turn key place.

but if we did do this project, can you give me a rough sketch on price for a
3 car garage, office, bedroom, and bath upstairs....ballpark?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:45 PM

5,128 posts, read 7,223,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
Zoning should be okay, per my realtor. Just realized a major expense, sewage! That won't come cheap I'm sure. As for why we need 5 bedrooms, we plan to have 3 kids and want them in their own rooms, and being away from our families (relocating) would like a guest room. Office would be separate, but hopefully would have a sleeper sofa as to serve as a 2nd guest room.
LOL I had my own room growing up, but even rich people make their kids share bedrooms. If you want to go through with it, and the foundation is ok per zoning...you may pay ~50 K, I would think. You'll need an architect/engineer to draw up the plans to make sure the structure can support the weight. If you can afford it, go for it.

Otherwise, look for another house or consider an attachment to the back of the house, which should be possibly cheaper since you may not need an architect.

I love the following example in Elle Decor. The woman bought a big house and paid a lot (I assume) to have it decorated...and then set aside a small hideously decorated room for her kids.

LOL Sorry, I thought this was funny. I wonder why the kids are sharing a room? I don't like the way she decorated the house, but who am I?
Here's the slideshow from the house:
A Contemporary Home in London Designed by Steven Volpe

Aside from this, I've been seeing a lot of twin-bed getups in design magazines lately. They're awesome. The children won't die if they share a room...

Old 08-14-2011, 07:30 PM

6,536 posts, read 14,478,128 times
I built a 25" x 32" home on top of my garage back in 1980. Cost me about $18,000 in permits and material then. The garage entry will have to be engineered for strength. I had to dig a 4 foot by 4 foot by 6 foot trench on each side under the driveway to pour full of concrete and steel. And similar footings around the garage below sheer walls.

Today I think it would have been easier to tear down the garage and build it ground up.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM

16,542 posts, read 19,145,661 times
Think how many hotel rooms you could pay for for guests instead of this undertaking.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,869,110 times
Depends on where your sewer line is. Ours happened to run right alongside the carriage house. Cost abut $150 to connect. Running the power,cable, phone and water was cheap. Gas line was costly.

We keep changing what we use the upstairs area for. However there are periods where we hardly use it al all except for storage. On the rare occasion that we have a car in the garage, we only run it for a few seconds - enough to drive out of the olready open door. this helps avoid getting exhaust up there.

You are going to put your kids in a separate building? I cannot think of an age when that seems like a good idea (maybe 25 and older, not there yet). If you do, you should have an alarm system, and possibly video and audio monitoring.

A few other things to think about. If it is above the garage, you need to completely seal it and have it ventilated with a fan. Otherwise you will get fumes from cars and solvents stored in the garage. You will want to put in motion sensor light switches. Otherwise the lights will get left on for weeks and you will not notice it. When you are not using it regularly, the mice will love it.

Cleaning can be a pain. You or your cleaning person will have to go downstairs, outside, upstairs while lugging their bedroom and bathroom cleaning supplies.

After the cost of putting it in, then you have to heat (and cool) it, deal with security, maintain it.

However sometimes it is really nice to have. We also find it very easy to change the use of it. Bedroom, office, weight room/work out room, storage. If you build it out as a bit space and add the walls later, you can make it very east to re-configure. USe lag bolts in leiu of nails (or even carriage bolts) and it will be very easy to move or re-move walls and change the use. Put your flooring in before the walls. That way, it you move or remove the walls, you do not have to re-floor.

OUr "garage" was a carriage house and was built with a hay loft. However many garages do not have large enough footings or strong enough structure to support a second floor. If you have a one story garage, adding a second floor would probably cost more than tearing it down and building a two story garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House