Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,637 times

Advertisements

Need some advice here please...

My wife and I recently bought a house in the middle of town. We've noticed that heavy rains result in a few large puddles in low spots in our yard. After scoping it out, I decided that bringing in some dirt and soil is the best way to fix the problem.

However, upon closer analysis tonight, I found some gravel out there. I started digging more and soon came across 6-10 inches of gravel just underneath the topsoil in the low spots! This gravel section is about 20'X20'.

What would be the best course of action? Should I dump 5 inches of dirt on top of the gravel and re-seed? Or is it best to rent a skidsteer and take out all the gravel? I really want a nice looking lawn, but this recent gravel discovery has got me wondering where to go from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 05:38 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I'd be less worried about "a nice lawn" than WHY there is ten inches of gravel covering 400 sq ft of your lawn -- Septic tank? Oil tank? Site was a gas station? Previous parking pad? Former garage foundation?

Find out what was there before from neighbors , the town, specialized firms that do underground tank removal, etc. If there was a fuel tank you might have an EPA type nightmare to deal with...

Old 08-16-2011, 06:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Have any stormwater drain pipes nearby? If that gravel is in a depression where water may run off it may be there for drainage.

French drain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-16-2011, 06:34 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I'd be less worried about "a nice lawn" than WHY there is ten inches of gravel covering 400 sq ft of your lawn -- Septic tank? Oil tank? Site was a gas station? Previous parking pad? Former garage foundation?

Find out what was there before from neighbors , the town, specialized firms that do underground tank removal, etc. If there was a fuel tank you might have an EPA type nightmare to deal with...[/quote]
If I found myself in this situation, I would keep my mouth shut and just deal with it myself. Fill it with sand and cover it up.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,150 times
My first thought was septic as well. What kind of waste removal system do you have in your home? If you have sewer is there a chance that at some point in time the house was septic and they did not remove the leech field after they hooked up to the sewer?

Another thought I had is this is it possible that this spot has always had drainage issues and at some point a previous owner installed the gravel to help with drainage?

Also is this actual gravel or is it bits of broken up concrete and rocks? Could be possible that either during the construction of the home or some time during it's history a builder back filled the area with old construction debris?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:32 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Find out what was there before from neighbors , the town, specialized firms that do underground tank removal, etc. If there was a fuel tank you might have an EPA type nightmare to deal with...
This what I was thinking. Sounds like something was dug up.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,399,101 times
my first thought was a french drain for drainage, but i've never heard of one that large. i would also say start asking your neighbors.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
I'd definitely leave the gravel there! That gravel is there for a reason. Since it's puddling, I suspect there is a water problem in your yard, especially since the gravel is located in the low spots. Why do I think that? With that much gravel, the water should be draining. Since it's not draining, you'll have bigger problems if you remove the gravel. If anything, it sounds like you might need to grade this area for better drainage or dig a trench to add some french drain pipes to move the water off your property better.

Or you could plant a weeping willow tree. That's what I would do. I'd bring in top soil to put over the gravel and regrade the area. Then I'd plant a weeping willow tree right in the middle of it all. Weeping willows suck up a lot of water and help curb soil errosion.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:30 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Is it compacted gravel (mixed with gravel powder) or pure rocks about a inch long? Where is it in relation of the home? How old is the home?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
It may be that your house simply had a swampy front lawn. There are two ways to deal with that. Re-grade to make the water run elsewhere (not always possible); or put in a blanket of gravel topped by sand then dirt. The water will drain into the gravel bed and the lawn will grow on top of the gravel and you will not have a swamp. I am considering doing that in the back yard. The entire island where we live is made of thick heavy clay and when it gets wet, tires, feet, paws and hooves sink out of site.

Another possibility is that they wanted to put something heavy on the lawn like parked cars, or they wanted to be able to drive on it. You can use turf-block for this, or you can put in a thick blanket of gravel. I am considering doing that for a driveway in our front yard. Cut the crive, fill it with a couple of feet of gravel topped by 6-8 inches of soil. Viola, a hidden driveway that you can park or drive on, but still play Frisbee of football in the front yard, and still have a nice looking lawn instead of an ugly driveway. I am not sure what this will cost however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House