Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM

510 posts, read 905,774 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I bought my first house a year ago. It is 90 years old but has been updated and well-maintained. Last night I flipped the switch for the basement lights (two overhead florescent tubes) and heard a sound. The basement stayed dark. I checked the circuit box but it hadn’t been tripped. I turned the breakers off and back on again just in case but nothing happened. The washer and dryer in the basement work but they are on a different circuitIt seems unlikely that all four florescent tubes have burned out, so I assume I need to call an electrician. Before I do I wanted to see if there is any other ‘obvious’ fix that isn’t known to me. I have never had those florescent tube lights—any chance that one burning out impacts all the others?
I have not had any other problems in any other part of the house.
Thanks in advance for any information or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 09:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
hopefully...
those fluorescent fixtures have a cord and plug on them which is in turn plugged into a receptacle
where the old ("keyless") incadescent lamp bases went. Then you could unplug the new(er) light fixtures and try any other 120V item there to confirm that the breaker and switch and wiring up to that point is all at it should be.

If this other appliance or whatever works then you have proper voltage there and the problem is limited to the light fixtures... maybe even just the lamps if you're real lucky.
---

If your basement light wiring isn't arranged for such easy troubleshooting... then *someone* will have to go deeper.
Maybe there's a handy neighbor you can ask to come over?

hth

Old 08-28-2011, 12:06 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Even though the breaker looks like it may not be tripped, it could be. Flip it to the off position and then back to on a couple times. If you still have problems and the lamps are hardwired, have an electrician inspect for mouse nibbled insulation and shorts caused by other problems.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:45 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Could be the ballast? I'm assuming two tubes in one fixture.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
If the breaker has in fact not tripped then it is more then likely the ballast went out. They can be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House