Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM

675 posts, read 1,815,872 times

Advertisements

I found the cricket in the basement, tried to gently catch it alive in my palm, brought it outside then released it, phew ... poor insect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 05:39 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Crickets start to breed in the late suumer or early fall months. When they do you can get hundreds of them living in the wall. I'd take preventive measures ASAP.

How to Get Rid of Crickets

PS: A few years ago a neighborhood home in our area had them so bad in one of her walls that they had to open up an 8 ft section of the wall to get rid of them. They estimated about 10,000 crickets were breeding in the wall. A professional exterminator was called to eradicate them.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
wow. That would be pretty bad. And I don't even mind bugs. But in the thousands - yeah - that calls for professional help.

We've never had more than one, maybe two at a time. When we can catch them and release them - we do. But inevitably they hop under things and are irretrievable.. so - they die. sad for them.

but I don't think the world's cricket population is in any danger... so probably okay.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Want to update you guys on what happened. The cricket came out and was sitting a few inches away from me. I was afraid that if I swat at it and it hops off, I'll end up with the same noise problem again. So I got my vacuum cleaner and sucked it up... Bingo..... No more Chirping noise this morning.

It may still be living inside my vacuum's reservoir, but I don't think the world will miss 1 cricket.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Want to update you guys on what happened. The cricket came out and was sitting a few inches away from me. I was afraid that if I swat at it and it hops off, I'll end up with the same noise problem again. So I got my vacuum cleaner and sucked it up... Bingo..... No more Chirping noise this morning.

It may still be living inside my vacuum's reservoir, but I don't think the world will miss 1 cricket.
Clean out that vacumn bag! They may have to re-instate the TWILIGHT ZONE" just to write an episode about this! LOL!

We used to get them in the house in NY state. They invariable wound up under the radiator in the diningroom. They used to talk to each other too. It drove me crazy some nights.
We were told they liked to chew carpet, which we only had in the livingroom/diningroom. I vacumned them when I could find them. But always emptied the cup. It freaked me out thinking they would live and breed in there and come out in a marchng hoard some night and GET ME!

Glad your problem is solved. Boy, did you bring back some freaky memories!
If I have nightmares tonight, I'm coming back to haunt you! LOL!

Twilight Zone Opening THEME MUSIC 1962 Rod Serling - YouTube

Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
No, but its mommy might.

Crickets in the house are good luck! They don't hurt anything. What's the big deal?

Yes, they can be noisy. I had them in my basement every fall. I just left a light on down there all night, and they quieted down. And eventually they died, because there was nothing for them to eat down there.

Live and let live!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:52 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
I heard the good luck thing too. If so, send em over to China. After the year they have had, maybe they could use some too!

Why Is a Cricket a Sign of Good Luck? | eHow.com

Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Where I worked we had a field office that had crickets infest the inside of the walls. Never heard them in daytime with activity but in evenig when it reduced it was apparent. Had the building treated ;so don;'t know how long they would have lasted tho.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I actually like having crickets in the basement. I had the garage door opened and saw one run inside from under the gragae door when I opened it. Its the sound of waning summer and early falla nd they are supposed to be good luck.
Okay, sometimes when you see them you might mistake them for huge wolf spiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House