U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Boston Suburb
1,358 posts, read 1,980,978 times
Reputation: 839

Advertisements

Hi, I think a cricket got into my house, so I hear the loud and sharp chirping all the time now. Since I work a lot at home, it's driving me crazy. I think it's inside because everytime I stand up and move around, the noise will stop. I can't see where it is, so I can't catch it.

What Can I do?? I can't wear earplugs or play the stereo loud all the time since I'd be on the phone.

How long does the cricket live (will it just die on it's own)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,376 posts, read 11,791,623 times
Reputation: 4974
Check your smoke alarm batteries..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,362 posts, read 55,197,591 times
Reputation: 16365
Maybe you are going crazy and there are no crickets?

What can you do? How much do you want to spend? You can hire an exterminator. You can continue to hunt for it. You can bug bomb the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Boston Suburb
1,358 posts, read 1,980,978 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Check your smoke alarm batteries..............
I know mine is overdue for changing but it's not the batteries... The noise is definitely from a cricket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
 
8,604 posts, read 12,203,810 times
Reputation: 6121
isolate one room at a time and when you find it, spray the room and close it up. Crickets don't survive insect spray very well. Don't spray the cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
 
2,460 posts, read 5,626,846 times
Reputation: 3014
It'll die in a few days if it doesn't have a food source (other bugs) or water/moisture (consdensation from AC coil, etc..).

We get them in our basement from time to time. No big deal, except I feel bad when i find their dead little corpses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Boston Suburb
1,358 posts, read 1,980,978 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
isolate one room at a time and when you find it, spray the room and close it up. Crickets don't survive insect spray very well. Don't spray the cat.
Thanks. I'll spray a little around the wall perimeter tonight since I know it's in the living room.
Quote:
It'll die in a few days if it doesn't have a food source (other bugs) or water/moisture (consdensation from AC coil, etc..).
Great. There shouldn't be any water so hopefully it'll die soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
 
10,505 posts, read 8,739,504 times
Reputation: 11605
Omygoodness, this same thing happened to me late last night. I walked into the kitchen and heard a chirping coming from the oven area. Whenever I approached the oven, the chirping stopped -- but always resumed as I backed away.

So I got out my trusty BENGAL GOLD DRY ROACH SPRAY, which is guaranteed to kill roaches, crickets, ants and anything else that flies or crawls. One spray and the chirping stopped immediately. (I need to move the oven today to find and sweep out the dead cricket.)

I like BENGAL GOLD because it sprays dry and doesnt have the noxious odor that so many insecticides have. I spray the exterior doors and garage once or twice a year and this cricket is the first bug I've had in my house in years. In Houston, that's saying a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Boston Suburb
1,358 posts, read 1,980,978 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Omygoodness, this same thing happened to me late last night. I walked into the kitchen and heard a chirping coming from the oven area. Whenever I approached the oven, the chirping stopped -- but always resumed as I backed away.

So I got out my trusty BENGAL GOLD DRY ROACH SPRAY, which is guaranteed to kill roaches, crickets, ants and anything else that flies or crawls. One spray and the chirping stopped immediately. (I need to move the oven today to find and sweep out the dead cricket.)

I like BENGAL GOLD because it sprays dry and doesnt have the noxious odor that so many insecticides have. I spray the exterior doors and garage once or twice a year and this cricket is the first bug I've had in my house in years. In Houston, that's saying a lot.
Hi Texasfirewheel... that's great. Yeah I hated all the bugs in Hou.... roaches especially.

I've a liquid (non-aerosol) spray sitting around so I'll try that tonight. I need to spray the outside anyway after the rain (from Irene) so that the big black ants won't come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 PM
 
10,653 posts, read 6,430,887 times
Reputation: 4665
Is a chirping like a cricket or more almost like a bird? If like a bird it could be chipmunks. They love to burrow around houses and occasionally can get inside the walls/house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top