Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:43 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yes, but we are all assuming a LOT, aren't we? ...
Once more...
it is a very rare thread where the issues aren't outed and resolved...
before the 10th post (most by the 5th).

everything after that is just piling on and hair splitting at best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 PM

885 posts, read 1,521,697 times
Oh, I don't know... it's been a lively discussion, I've enjoyed it!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:52 PM

12 posts, read 15,061 times
Quote:
Yes, but we are all assuming a LOT, aren't we?
I am sure we don't know all the circumstances. But the way the facts are presented here, somebody just marching past other people's houses with a toxic spray gun doesn't seem like a very friendly act. What motivates such antisocial behavior that seems odd to us? Surely a psychologist could tell us better, but the question here is how to deal with it in everyday life.

Last edited by cacti; 09-01-2011 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 PM

445 posts, read 1,605,014 times
It may well be liquid ferterlizer... to ensure the beauty of the neighborhood... I am sure there will be some who object to that...
Some people really do not like anyone else making any kind of comments about what they do / don't do / want to do /could give a sht about/ yada yada yada.... and they will be real a-holes for all your good intentions ... I spoke to our local "round up guy" and he told me a couple of stories that started off nicely but came out bad... so now he just does what he thinks is required I guess I can see his point... I know if someone was dropping poo-bombs on my porch, I would (deleted - it might be used in court against me)

Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yes, but we are all assuming a LOT, aren't we? Why are some people assuming that this herbicide guy is doing it out of maliciousness? Did he plant those trees? Is he doing it to do a good thing or a bad thing? You see, we DON'T know what has happened here. I find it quite odd that this "maniac" from a few doors down, simply developed an obsession with these people's weeds and therefore just randomly heads down the block to do a drive-by squirting.
It doesn't matter whether he's doing it out of maliciousness or some misguided idea about who knows what. You can't go around spraying things on other people's property. I'm really surprised so many people here don't see it like that.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 PM

885 posts, read 1,521,697 times
Sure you can.

My parents' neighbor was right - he's still trespassing and they moved out

Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
It doesn't matter whether he's doing it out of maliciousness or some misguided idea about who knows what. You can't go around spraying things on other people's property. I'm really surprised so many people here don't see it like that.

Please re-read, very carefully, the OP's words. I'll even highlight a few for you to make this simple. The "sprayer" is not spraying herbicide on these people's personal property. The issue would be between the city and the sprayer.

"We have noticed that a neighbor who lives down the street frequently sprays herbicides (weed killers) in the street in front of the house that we own. We are concerned as we have small children as well as pets and we don't want to expose them to these potential toxins. That person who lives a few houses down just walks with his huge industrial size herbicide can with a long hose and sprays deliberately the grass on the street side of our house as well as around the trees that grow there. The weeds (if any) are minuscule and we, and also everybody else on the street, cut the grass regularly in front of our houses. Does anybody know if there are any laws that may curtail such behavior, are private persons allowed to use herbicides on public property (like street side of the lawns and trees growing there), especially in front of other people's houses? As we have heard, in some towns the public use of herbicides is prohibited altogether. We are about to contact the municipal authorities to get more information on that. Any suggestions what institutions or organizations might be good to contact in connection with this?"

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Further discussion, I believe, showed that it was the grass between the sidewalk and the street that is being sprayed (which makes more sense, when you think about it), the sidewalk being an easement across the property. So, yes, the neighbor is, in a way, spraying on the OP's property.

And if he's not, then he's spraying poisons on public property, which might even be MORE wrong!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Further discussion, I believe, showed that it was the grass between the sidewalk and the street that is being sprayed (which makes more sense, when you think about it), the sidewalk being an easement across the property. So, yes, the neighbor is, in a way, spraying on the OP's property.

And if he's not, then he's spraying poisons on public property, which might even be MORE wrong!
Well this whole situation can easily be resolved with a simple call to County Ag Department . they have one in all states and this type of spraying comes under their control and it is Illegal. End of story , the spraying will stop really fast and the name of the complainant will not be mentioned . problem solved !

Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
There must be limits, of course. However, one neighbor vandalized my parents' car for reporting the trespassing to the police after they asked him not to and he laughed at them and told them to f*ck off...

I have a friend who had to move because they asked the neighbors not to let the dog loose in the neighborhood (no fences) and they got regular 'dog-bombs' on their porch afterward...

Or the man who screamed 3 inches from my college roommate's face because she asked him not to park in our parking spot...

Where DOES it end? When the OP is afraid to let the kids play out front because of Hater down the street?

This is a universal problem - only two of these incidents happened in PA - but it doesn't have to be my personal problem at every turn. I've just learned to shrug off a lot.
No idea. I hooked a tow chain to a neighbor who parked in my spot (for two days) and dragged his Camaro out in the middle of the fire lane. It sat there for a day and half before he moved it. I never heard from him, and he kept on doing what he was doing. A few weeks later, he parked in front of another neighbor's garage. I don't know what the neighbor said to the too lazy to care property management who completely blew me off, but I never saw the Camaro inside the apartment again after that.

I'll admit, it's a lot easier when you're renting to really not give a darn. What's the guy going to do? Vandalize my car? That's not that likely, and even if he were to do it, I have insurance that will cover most of the damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House