U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 AM

16 posts, read 26,257 times
Default Neighbor spraying herbicides in front of our house

We have noticed that a neighbor who lives down the street frequently sprays herbicides (weed killers) in the street in front of the house that we own. We are concerned as we have small children as well as pets and we don't want to expose them to these potential toxins. That person who lives a few houses down just walks with his huge industrial size herbicide can with a long hose and sprays deliberately the grass on the street side of our house as well as around the trees that grow there. The weeds (if any) are minuscule and we, and also everybody else on the street, cut the grass regularly in front of our houses. Does anybody know if there are any laws that may curtail such behavior, are private persons allowed to use herbicides on public property (like street side of the lawns and trees growing there), especially in front of other people's houses? As we have heard, in some towns the public use of herbicides is prohibited altogether. We are about to contact the municipal authorities to get more information on that. Any suggestions what institutions or organizations might be good to contact in connection with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM

17,195 posts, read 21,839,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inct55 View Post
We have noticed that a neighbor who lives down the street frequently sprays herbicides (weed killers) in the street in front of the house that we own.
And you haven't thanked him for the courtesy?
Maybe offered or just took it upon yourself to do something reciprocal?
For him directly or perhaps "pay it forward" to someone else?

What is this world coming to?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
And you haven't thanked him for the courtesy?
Hopefully that was sarcasm. There is a reason why herbicides are prohibited in many public parks, school grounds, etc.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Status: "Only 1 puppies of 11 left to sell." (set 9 days ago)

8,867 posts, read 4,593,896 times
In my city you can't spray them, buy them, use them nohow. I really like that policy. If you get caught with them you will get in more trouble than if you were caught smoking some weed. That makes some sense eh? Weed smoking only hurts the smoker. Spreading poison throughout the environment hurts everyone. It makes me cringe when the vet tells you that your dog will get cancer if you let them on treated lawns but you see all kinds of children playing there.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 AM

3,116 posts, read 3,879,654 times
Quote:
We are about to contact the municipal authorities to get more information on that. Any suggestions what institutions or organizations might be good to contact in connection with this?
Have you talked to him about it and asked him to stop? That seems a lot easier - and a lot more neighborly - than going to the authorities. He probably thinks he's doing a good thing, so it may come as a surprise to him that you would prefer he not do it. I'd give him a chance at least!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM

17,195 posts, read 21,839,868 times
Quote:
Hopefully that was sarcasm.
Not so much actually.

On point:
Have you bothered to ask your neighbor what product he uses?
And what concentration he is using it at?

And if it (still?) really bothers you so much... to just not be so nice to you?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 AM

6,068 posts, read 8,679,086 times
in most towns its actually illegal to spray herbicides or pesticides on anything but your own property (unless hes a town worker)

personally id talk to him first, tell him you do not apreicate him spraying your property and if that doesnt solve the problem call your local public health, ect and ask what they suggest...

Mr.Rational, herbicides and pesticides are poisen, they are TOXINS and should not be used around childrens play areas or pets/animals, theres a reason your supposed to wear gloves and often masks and such when using the stuff, and your supposed to flag, not use neer water sources/run off areas, wash hands after use ect...
these are not things MOST people want around their kids play areas...

id be mightiliy annoyed if someone came along my yard spraying that junk and poisening my ground...ill pull them by hand thanks and i dont want to be crawling around on toxin soaked grass to do it.

op, talk to him first, explain your worries (mabe he just is clueless about pest/herbicide toxicity and thinks hes doing a nice thing) also find out from your local health/town/planning ect dept as to the legality of the use on public areas (and other peoples private property) and make sure ot bring it up if it is illegal in your area...
he probably just has no clue it bothers you...

once he knows however if it continues...then its time to get the higher authorities involved...
theres sales and use restrictions on those things for a reason.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Have you talked to him about it and asked him to stop?
Actually, the initial purpose of contacting environmental authorities is to gather more information about the legal ramifications of such actions, rather than reporting anybody personally. However, it wouldn't even occur to me, for example, to go spraying such highly controversial products on somebody's property without any prior agreement or consent.

Quote:
in most towns its actually illegal to spray herbicides or pesticides on anything but your own property (unless hes a town worker)
I thought something similar - thanks Foxywench, for your good advice!

Last edited by inct55; 08-31-2011 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:03 AM

11,490 posts, read 25,992,256 times
The real problem is not herbicides, it is people. People are dumber than a sack of rocks. ALL of us. If you are environmentally conscious and fear for the entire planet, the best thing you can do is go into a forest, stand under a decaying tree, and wait for it to fall. Each additional person adds to the load. At some point you have to make a decision that you have a right to live and a right to have an impact on the planet. You don't see any other plant or animal worrying about their impact. Ever see a field taken over by canadian thistle and wild asparagus? They don't care if they are invasive. Ever seen fire ants invade an area? They don't care what they kill or how they change the environment.

I have serious issues with atrazine, which is popular in suburbia, but not anywhere near as safe as round-up. However, atrazine is usually in weed-n-feed type products. Round-up is usually sprayed, like your neighbor is, but most people spray WAY too much. Farmers use about a pint of the concentrate to kill an entire ACRE of cotton field. (Yes, it has to be killed so it can be harvested. And yes, crops grow on the same filed after years and years of such spraying because the stuff neutralizes out once soil organisms and natural chemicals get to it.) Some homeowners use a pint of the stuff to clear their 15' x 40' driveway. People are stupid. Give 'em a hammer and they'll use it to fix a watch.

FWIW, you can spray vinegar or hot water to kill weeds or use a propane dragon. You might suggest the propane dragon to your neighbor, as it is pretty satisfying to use and won't leave any residue (vinegar is non-specific and changes the pH of the soil). However, your city probably has some law against open flames, so good luck. (People are stupid.)

BTW, your kids ain't goinna be harmed by weed killer in the street. Maybe if they run into the guy on their bikes, but otherwise, no.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 AM

5,128 posts, read 7,223,243 times
The neighbor may not have a clue. I mean, they sell the stuff at Home Depot... I did the same thing to the sidewalks around my building before I realized what I was doing. It was ignorance.

I would talk to the neighbor and let him/her know that the stuff may not be safe for children and pets, and to please not spray it near the house. You don't have to go into detail. He/she probably hasn't even really looked at the precautions on the bottle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House