U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2011, 04:43 PM

2,152 posts, read 7,159,346 times

Advertisements

What is the best and most reasonably priced mattress for a sensitive low back? I have tried a memory foam mattress from Costco and it has caused me all sorts of back problems. When I wake up in the morning my low back feels like I have slept in a rock quarry. Therefore I am somewhat hesitant to consider a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress.

and What is the best mattress dealer in the greater Indianapolis area who stands behind his product?

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 08-31-2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 PM

16 posts, read 27,326 times
Memory foam alone is probably not enough support for a sensitive back. A solution could be to go with a firmer spring mattress and cover that with a thick memory foam pad (at least 3-4 inches). Ikea, for example, sells some fairly good all natural spring mattresses and a selection of foam pads of different thickness. Good value and more comfortable than many more expensive options.

Last edited by inct55; 08-31-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM

Thanks. I'll check that out. This weekend a lot of retailers are having big holiday sales.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
Latex Foam rubber mattress. Find a local manufacturer and you will get better quality and price than a place that sells the big brand names like Sealey.

Latex foam rubber, is expensive, it is difficult to move, but it is generally the most comfortable and long lasting mattress that you can get. It is nice too becuase when one person moves it does not tend the jiggle the bed so much as spring type mattresses.

Latex foam rubber is nothing like memory foam. It is a big dense pad of sturdy foam. It is hard to describe, but if you try one, you will want to buy one. The problem is affording it. We had to finance ours when we bought it. However we have had it for 10 - 15 years and it is same as new. If I ever have to replace it, I will buy the same thing.

It cost just under $3000 for a California King. That included delivery, set up, and removal and disposal of the old mattress. We also bought a nice mattress cover and some pillows. I thnk that the mattress was around $2200 or $2300 however taxes, delivery, cover, pillows etc added up to $400 - $600 more (cannot remember). Do nto be fooled by places that offer "free delivery and set up, or free pillows or mattress cover etc. Nothing is free. You are paying for it one way or another. When I pointed out free delivery ads, the mattress guy said he would provide free delivery just like they do, but the price would be $150 more just like theirs was. Good point.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inct55 View Post
Memory foam alone is probably not enough support for a sensitive back. A solution could be to go with a firmer spring mattress and cover that with a thick memory foam pad (at least 3-4 inches). Ikea, for example, sells some fairly good all natural spring mattresses and a selection of foam pads of different thickness. Good value and more comfortable than many more expensive options.
THis is lousy but there is not an IKEA in Indianapolis.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 AM

16 posts, read 27,326 times
If that might help, Ikea also seems to have online purchase option. Here is the type of 2 3/8" pillowtop memory foam mattress pad that I mentioned:
SULTAN TAFJORD Pillowtop - Twin - IKEA
Its cover can also be removed which makes it even softer (zips right off). For some reason, memory foam tops from Ikea tend to smell less than those from other places... And that pillowtop can sit on top of any good sturdy coil mattress (the higher the number of coils, the better the support). I have noticed that this combination is the best for back problems, while still providing some comfort and softness. We haven't had good experience with latex mattress, had to return a really high end one as it didn't provide enough support, at the same time being really hard and uncomfortable (and they are very heavy too, difficult to handle). So I would go for a coil (spring) mattress, vs. latex or memory foam (Simmons may have some relatively decent higher end ones). Ask around in the store and try them out, at least for 15-20 minutes, that should give some idea. Return policy is also very important.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 AM

7,141 posts, read 3,305,201 times
Macy's usually has some good sales. I use to like a very firm mattress but now they seem way to hard so I ended up with a plush that is firm but does have some softness to it.

Big Lots carries Serta and they are nice and at times they have a sale with the box spring free or $10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House