Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 04:36 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times

Advertisements

I posted a while ago about a problem I'm finally wrestling with, a frozen shower diverter. I got as far as deducing that it's probably a "slip fit" spout, and that although my model is no longer made, another should work fine. Just trying to find a similar finish.

But then, on top of the fact that plumbers are puzzlingly avoiding returning calls (which is weird, you must admit, since they're dependant on new business), I'm getting different answers about insurance. It occurred to me to ask, since I worry about the possibility of damage, like to tiles, if their insurance covers it, and answers have included "Of course," "No way," and "I'd assume so."

Have you run into this difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:00 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
It's called General Liability Insurance.

It's covered- getting it actually fixed, well...

In your scenario, I see no correlation unless the plumber is a bumbling fool, or the walls are completed rotted on the inside and a mere sneeze would make them collapse.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
If I was a plumber and you called, then you asked about filing insurance claims for any damage I might do, I would run for the hills!

Some customers are a royal pain - they complain about any little picky thing. They are to be avoided at all costs because they are nothing but a headache. You are telling them from the get go that you are that type of customer.

Other customers are nice. Will offer you a glass of water and a cookie. Will let small things slide (no big deal).

Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
When it comes to insurance, I would merely ask that they have generally liability insurance, and ask them to document it before starting work. I would then let it go.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:32 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default My plumber is competent

After 15+ years of using the same plumber, I would never even think to ask about insurance.
He comes and "does stuff". It looks excellent to me.
He leaves and I send him money.
Win. Win.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:26 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times
Thanks, guys. Dave, I never worried about it either, but I was suddenly faced with something where I was worried that the titles might be wrecked. Because I was using a new guy. I even called the local state contractor oversight office, and got an unhelpful guy who wouldn't give me a straight answer. Apparently they require that a plumber have insurance, but don't care what it covers.

Billy, I don't think being a "nice" customer has anything to do with being lax about letting things slide. I don't just offer water - I usually offer a choice of drinks. But I'm still the client and am looking for someone to do a good job. And I don't think a competent company would be fazed by the questions. When I'm thinking of starting with a new place, one of the things I judge by is how well they answer questions over the telephone.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
When I get calls and someone starts asking me about insurance, I am suddenly too busy to do their inspection.
That said, I have been in business for 24 years, and carry all of the required insurance. I'm ethical and responsible. However, their question raises red flags to me, and I don't need the potential problems from them. I just assume they have another agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House