Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
It's designed by my favorite architect, Richard Meier, who did the Getty Museum. White is sort of his trademark.
Oh, wow. And I figured that home would be located in CA. California has a nice selection of custom designed homes, even the Spanish style homes are beautiful, unlike the boring row homes that over run the East coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
I remember someone in that thread about McMansions a while ago, talking about how he viewed one he was interested in possibly purchasing. They said that the walls were all still the basic builder white. I think a lot of people buy more home than they could afford (or at least, they used to), and couldn't afford to do any upgrades like new paint, etc.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I remember someone in that thread about McMansions a while ago, talking about how he viewed one he was interested in possibly purchasing. They said that the walls were all still the basic builder white. I think a lot of people buy more home than they could afford (or at least, they used to), and couldn't afford to do any upgrades like new paint, etc.
I agree with you! Personally, I'd rather purchase a house that's under my "budget", and do the repairs and updates over time. Obviously that is not feasible for everyone, as many don't even know how to fire up a table saw. LOL

Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We went with flat Navajo White (the color that's in thousands and thousands of houses in the Southwest) for a reason: We have a lot of art, framed photos, decorations. A ton of books and bookcases. Didn't want anything competing with that. The rooms don't need any extra color. We just re-decorated our living room and it's "us". I love it. Very homey. Happy memories.

Plus we have outside views that vary from room to room. The white frames what is outside the windows and allows those colors to speak for themselves. The colors outside change according to the time of day, the season, the weather. The white is the constant that allows us to appreciate Mother Nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I love Navajo white! It's so warm. Also, I've found that it too, changes just a bit throughout the day, with the changing light.
Another vote for Navaho White. It's been on my walls since the house was built in 1986, and I still like it.

My window frames are a dark stain, and I have very little wall space that is not covered by a tall piece of furniture or built-in bookcases. There is little art on the walls and there are no drapes or curtains. Each window frames a view. DewDrop, you and I think alike!

I do have the Pella windows with built-in shades, so I can close those to help with heat gain.

There are two small areas in the kitchen that are painted an accent color. Otherwise the entire space, including cathedral ceiling, is all Navaho White. That means living area, kitchen (open to the living area) and master suite, powder room, and laundry.

Downstairs there are two bedrooms, two baths, den, and multipurpose room. One bedroom, the den, and multipurpose room are a silver gray. One bath has wallpaper, one has a textured gray paint, and one bedroom has a textured light tan paint. That one bedroom I had bedding I wanted to use and the gray did not work with it.

To me, having every room a different bright color is jarring and not very conducive to relaxation. And it does limit upholstery and bedding choices.

By the way, most of the walls in my great room have been repainted once in 25 years. I used Sherwin Williams eggshell, which cleans easily (especially with a magic scrubber!). The areas that have been repainted twice were places that had to be repaired --- one ceiling and one wall.

A color does not have to be "bright" or "pop" for someone to like it. I agree that the upholstery and accessories can provide plenty of color. You do not have to put it on the walls.

And about decorators. I did attempt to use one once. She helped me find a couch and love seat that I still have and a rug for the foyer. We parted company on chairs, however. All her houses have wing back chairs, and they just did not fit my contemporary space. I may not be a trained decorator, but sometimes you just have to go with your gut!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I thnk this post is funny becuase my beef with interior decorators and why I will nto hire one is that they tell you to paint everything white or "neutral" (Yawn). Why would I want my house painted in their favorite colors instead of mine? I m perfectly capable of picking out capreting and paint that compliments my furniture.

One suggestion. Ignore the standard "right way" to choolse colors. No you do NOT need a white cieling. In fact, one of our prettiest rooms has a cieling that is darker than the walls (not the best idea with a small room, unless you are going for cozy). Speaking of that, not every room needs to be spacious or grand. Some rooms should be cozy and seem small. It is what they are for. Some large rooms can be made nicer by making them seem smaller.

Do waht you like. You are going to live in the house, not your Realtor, decorator, neighbor or mother in law. Just becuase someone announces "I am a decorator" does not mean that they know what you will like better than you do. I have seen some really heinous butcher jobs by decorators, especially in old houses.

And if you are into the hospital look, ignore the color buffs on CD, paint the whole thing white, but in white carpeting and buy white furniture. Just don't expect any of us (color buffs) to say it looks nice.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,154 times
I am the anti-stylist. I have no idea what is in style or what is considered attractive by most people. Still, I know what I like.

I feel that as you move up from the basement to the upstairs, the colors should get darker, as the sunlight comes in at a lower angle and illuminates the walls more. In the basement, there is much less natural light so a cream or white color makes the room seem brighter. On the first floor, I painted the various rooms different colors, although they are all light shades. My upstairs is all vivid colors and dark wood. I get compliments on the look of the house, but some of them could just be people trying not to hurt my feelings.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:25 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
I guess one of the reasons I am so drawn to light colors is that I am an outdoor person. I don't like a lot of artificial lighting and prefer not having to power electric lighting during the day. During the evening, I don't like to have a lot of lights burning in order to be able to see. Light colors decrease the light bill as well...and that's always a good thing.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
except that some people are not into interior design. They are quite happy with a few things on the wall and they don't need every corner filled. It is what you put your focus on and for some interior design is not it.

Some people enjoy their home even if it isn't up to the interior designers idea of a great room. What is the most important thing is that the home owner is happy with their home where it matches with the other room or not.
Some people aren't into design, some people aren't into decorating. It goes with some people aren't into art and have dogs playing poker on their wall, and some people aren't into cooking and eat take out and pork and beans, and some people aren't into _________.

I guess my point is, you can say well they're just not into it.......

well we're on a house board, discussing homes, home improvements, decorating and the like....

it goes along with people in ugly sweaters, mismatched pants and shirts, and socks with sandles on. it makes you go HUH?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Good post about McMansions.
Read more on the construction quality of more townhomes & McMansions here:
Housing Bottom Dictionary - HousingBottom.com - poor housing construction (http://www.housingbottom.com/poor_housing_construction.shtml - broken link)

During the early years of the housing boom and since I was working in the housing (thus had the luck to witness from the inside what is going on) industry and was totally against buying an overpriced house, I rented a town home in an upscale development in a great location close to DC....
I basically got turned off by how flimsy they are built (drywall, cement footer, deck etc.. and all).
Why? The walls are so thin I felt like living in a cardboard box especially evident during windy weathers... not to mention the nosy neighbors and especially the HOA people!

My landlord kept trying to "sell" me that town home. Errr no thanks!

I also remembered when the troubles of "chinese" drywall started (eroding wires, pipes...) I knew never to buy a brand new house unless building a new house yourself like my father-in-law do and dictating what is put into that house yourself.

That is why "older" or even "ancient" homes rule in my books. For at least they were mostly "made in america" and most of the time by the home builders themselves to enjoy with their family. Many a times, with passion since they really want nothing but the best for their family to enjoy throiugh their lifetime and more.... like a good home cooked meal.

I like my house to be able to "outlive" me and to be passed down to my children... not buy what "looks good" and have a limited "shelf life" (thus the saying, lasting beauty is in the heart not just on the surface).

Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
It's designed by my favorite architect, Richard Meier, who did the Getty Museum. White is sort of his trademark.
My Girlfriend (who works in MOMA), her husband works for Richard Meier in NY.
Lovely home.

Talking about modern designs, Karim Rashid is my fav. modern product designer, a big fan of Andy Warhol (been to many of his exhibits) and I worship Frank Llyod Wright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House