U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 AM

482 posts, read 1,620,200 times

Advertisements

My husband and I spent many grueling hours removing vinyl flooring in our garage here in SoFL. The flooring was torn in many spots and an eyesore. We could see that the original flooring underneath was terrazzo so decided to try bringing it back.

With the vinyl now gone we're left with a mostly intact terrazzo floor that is quite stained from the adhesive in the vinyl. It's an overall yellowish stain. Even with the stains, this floor is smooth and tons better than the one the former owners opted to cover it up with, so we're ok with it as is but would love it even more if it was white and clean-looking again.

How is this done? Do we have to have it diamond grinded? Is this best done by professionals and would the cost be worthwhile for a garage? I see ads in the Clipper magazine placed by carpet and grout cleaning services that state they restore terrazzo, but not sure if they are legit.

Any insight on this subject is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:40 PM

2,833 posts, read 8,955,262 times
My understanding is, you never want to tackle terrazzo floors yourself unless you have experience doing so.

Take a look at companies that restore terrazzo floors - even in Florida they are now far and few between. I don't know where you live. Terrazzo floors are beautiful when properly restored.

Good luck to you!!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:24 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 11,072,885 times
Oh I've seen some of those terrazo floors in older homes here in Miami and when they are polished they look absolutely beautiful.

Yes, you're probably better off finding a real company to do this.

Don't we have the miamidade.gov site that has listings and ratings for contractors for different things? Or check with the BBB? Get some estimates and have everything in writing, with official contract and terms.

Those floors are like $22/sq.ft. here now.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:23 PM

8,322 posts, read 22,481,894 times
If the floor is still smooth, try bleaching out the stains.

Then re-seal with an acrylic sealer.

If you cannot get the stains out, it's unlikely that grinding the floor will remove the stains unless it's simply surface discoloration. Best to have the surface ground by a professional, it's a tricky business even for those folks in the trade. The floor could then be re-grouted, finish ground, then re-sealed.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 9,729 times
Default terrazo

Hi,

I read your old post and I am wondering if you ever got your floors in shape. If so, how did you do it?

We just purchased a home in Englewood and it has terrazo under the carpet and other tile. We would like to bring it back if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,003,107 times
When I bought my house a little over a year ago I had the carpet pulled and the terrazzo restored. I am glad I paid a company. I have about a 1600 sf house with terrazzo throughout. The company measured the floor and it came out to 1125 square feet. It took them over a week with diamond grinders and other specialized equipment. The results were amazing. They even filled in a few small cracks and made them not that noticeable. It only cost me $2700. I agree wit hthe earlier posters - this is one job you're probably better off hiring someone to do.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,577,126 times
I supervised the construction of my 3000 sq ft home and I learned that which you aren't sure about doing correctly, spend your time earning the money to pay a professional to do it. It's a good tradeoff.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:38 AM

635 posts, read 1,877,682 times
Wow, you are lucky.

We don't have any terrazo in our home, but it would have been an appropriate floor treatment in bathrooms of the era. One of our bathrooms was gutted some years back by a previous owner, and cheap contemporary tile was installed. I've thought about going back with a typical basket-weave or small hex tile as was the norm in many residential baths of the 1920-30s, but have often thought a nice terrazo floor would be awesome and low maintenance.

Good luck!
Al

Old 07-03-2010, 11:17 PM

482 posts, read 1,620,200 times
It's been awhile but we did hire a professional company to restore our floor. Overall it was a success; the only problem being the swirly residue of old carpet glue. We were upset about it but there was nothing that could be done once the floor was sealed so we have just adapted to it.
What they did was cut off the old carpet tacking, use a diamond grinder, clean the surface and seal it. It's impossible to have anything stain it now!
It is shiny and very cool on your feet in the summer. If we had the resources we would restore the whole house. I believe for a room 24' x 14' the cost was around $800.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 9,522 times
Default Terazzo experience

Hi CrowGirl I saw your post and I wanted to know if they bleached it. My issue is a had a company come in. there was carpet but many stains. They took 2 days for 1200 Sq ft and when done it removed about 25% of the stains. Looked cleaner and glossy but I can't image that there isn't a way to get the stains out (what they told me.) I spilled some bleach by accident on the floor and it removed a stain! I'm afraid to just break out a mop and go crazy, What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
When I bought my house a little over a year ago I had the carpet pulled and the terrazzo restored. I am glad I paid a company. I have about a 1600 sf house with terrazzo throughout. The company measured the floor and it came out to 1125 square feet. It took them over a week with diamond grinders and other specialized equipment. The results were amazing. They even filled in a few small cracks and made them not that noticeable. It only cost me $2700. I agree wit hthe earlier posters - this is one job you're probably better off hiring someone to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House