Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:20 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by podboq View Post
Actually, I was the first one in more than 4 years to add a comment - and I didn't personally attack the OP. 'Nothing about the issue...' Alrighty!
Ok, you started out ok but look at some of the follow-ons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 1,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok, you started out ok but look at some of the follow-ons.
If the host doesn't like other comments it is free to delete them - I'm not responsible for the comments others make... closing the thread to further comment would prevent both helpful and unhelpful comments, resulting in a net loss.

That said, the OP did sound rather immature and selfish; more interested in her wants than in compromising with nearby community residents.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
How does shining your light in her bedroom keep you safe?

Angle the light to be on YOUR property.
Exactly ! I have the same problem with the blinding flood light at the Texaco corner store, 2 blocks away, across the street, shining in to all of our apartment complex windows. I would like to enjoy the night & sunrise without a glaring light blinding me every time I look out the window. Why should people have to cover their windows with dark heavy curtains because inconsiderate people dont know how to angle their security lights on THEIR own property? I like having my blinds up & open. I would like to be able to enjoy looking out my windows without a piercing bright light shining in my eyes each time.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:35 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
8 year old thread? Really?

Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

I never have understood people who get in a snit because other people do EXACTLY what City-Data encourages them to do on the bottom of every open thread however old.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:05 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
I have a light shining in my bedroom window. I tracked it down. Over a third of a mile away. But I couldn't see from what source with inclines and twists and turns. It took a while. Right in my window, that thing. Never saw it till a few months ago. Someone new? Light new? I looked in the direction of the light now and then whenever I remembered. I realized I couldn't figure it out during the daylight, of course, because it wasn't lit. But I couldn't at night either. Then thought I got it....but no, I was surprised where it came from eventually.

Eventually, yes, I got it down to a science. If I could just take a picture and use my gis map and aerial view. So I had to get the photo when the light was on. Meaning sort of dark. But not so dark that the area around the light was murky and location not able to be made out. There was
a problem with that plan, though. I forgot. Kept getting caught up in other things with work, hobbies, at home...and just forgot to get there in time for that pic. And, of course, meantime there was the daylight period lengthening.

But finally I took the picture. Funny thing is the picture itself turned out to be beautiful. Just the time of night when you could make out things...trees, even a couple walking, a few birds flying.

The light was still there, mixed in with angled roofs. But I found it. Not belonging to a person I could talk with but to the municipality. Right in that area they thought few quaint street lights on posts would look good. But it's just one. Houses cover the others. And I now take the occasional evening romantic photo.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:18 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I never have understood people who get in a snit because other people do EXACTLY what City-Data encourages them to do on the bottom of every open thread however old.

City-Data is encouraging a bad idea.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:07 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
City-Data is encouraging a bad idea.
Yes, really and it isn't a bad idea.

There are people who missed the thread the first time around and there are new members who were not here the first time around and they might want to discuss the subject.

If someone doesn't want to revisit an old thread there is a simple solution, don't engage.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:13 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Having seen it in action, new questions posted at the end of old threads result in a bunch of new people answering the old original question again even though that poster is long gone, and the new question is ignored or has their replies mixed in with a bunch of conflicting noise.

But if you think that's a success.... OK

Old 05-06-2019, 04:14 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
You don't seem to comprehend that though the lights, per se, are in your yard, the light emanating from them is in her yard/house/whatever.

There is no reason you could not accommodate her, if you wanted to be a good neighbor. The way to do it would be to hire a handyman to angle them so that they are flooding light into YOUR yard, and not hers, put them on motion sensor, or change the bulbs to lower wattage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House