Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Some breakers trip and they don't flip all the way over. They sort of just slightly move. Turn the breakers completely to off and then back to on. You can also simply have a few bad breakers. They do go bad. You should never have a outlet and a light on the same circuit unless whoever wired it just half azzed it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Does the "fourth" GFI outlet now work, and other 3 still dead ?? Or are all 4 dead ??

If all 4, try flipping the panel breaker off then on anyway. Sometimes they don't show tripped properly.

If 4th is OK, but others dead, then the GFI may have gone bad. Or some other wiring problem ( loose, burned, etc)

Old 08-03-2014, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 8,273 times
I have a ceiling fan and two lights that are on the same breaker and have stopped working. The strange thing is that both the ceiling fan and both light have electricity running to them. I replaced both light switches, which did not fix the problem.

Does anyone have any idea about how to fix this issue?

Old 08-03-2014, 11:24 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
How do you know they have electricity running to them? Did you use a multimeter?

If you do not know how to use a multimeter, search google.com for the words...

How to use a multimeter

(Or if you do not want to learn, might want to call an electrician.)

Old 08-03-2014, 01:47 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Some breakers trip and they don't flip all the way over. They sort of just slightly move. Turn the breakers completely to off and then back to on. You can also simply have a few bad breakers. They do go bad. You should never have a outlet and a light on the same circuit unless whoever wired it just half azzed it
Yep, just what I was thinking too, seen that many times. Its a classic gotcha that never stops getting you

I've had houses where the lights and outlets shared a circuit. Sloppy work and a pain in the neck if you have to work on that circuit, but I've seen it done.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Well, if all the outlets, including the GFIs don't have power when the circuit breaker is on, then there has to be a loose connection somewhere. A loose connection will still show voltage on a multimeter, but no current will flow.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:25 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
More than likely the GFI tripped and the OP doesn't know how to reset it. In the bathroom we've had the GFI trip a few times when the humidity was high from taking a long shower.
OP did you push the GFI reset button in and hold it for a few secs.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:51 AM

24 posts, read 149,500 times
I want to give you the best idea and that is to replace your electric light bulb to vocca light. You can use this bulb without any wire. It has chargeable battery and the battery is very long lasting. You can switch it by saying vocca switch light. It is the best example of smart bulb.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Putting a bathroom light and bathroom outlets on the same circuit is done all the time and nothing "half azz" about it. All you do is put the light such as a vanity light on the line side of the GFI so if the GFI trips the light still operates.

Running a dedicated circuit from the panel just to power about 60 watts for a bathroom light is a waste of money and time.

Are you really an electrician?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,130 times
The lights in my garage are on 3 breakers and there's nothing else on those breakers. My receptacles are on separate breakers. My lights on all 3 breakers have gone out, none of them are working no tripped breakers. I have flipped them on and off but stir no lights. My receptacles are on and still working. I have a 100amp breaker box in the garage. Any idea as to why they are not working and what to look for to fix them. They were working yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House