U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2007, 07:50 PM

13,517 posts, read 22,139,947 times
Default Central A/C pipe freezing up

The pipe from the unit outside is freezing up. The pipe goes under the house into whatever is under the house, not like the one I had in FL where part of the unit was in the garage. I tried to see how old the unit is and I think it had 00 but it could be 90 as the print is hard to read at night.

I changed the filter when it happened a week ago and it worked fine. Now tonight it is frozen up again and it is HOT in the house. I didn't see a drain on the outside,
Of course it has been in the 100s here everyday for almost 2 weeks and it is running a lot due to the extreme heat. I keep thermostat on 80 during the day just to save on the electric bill.

Is there anything else I can check since I probably won't be able to get anyone out here tonight?

I live in a VERY small town and getting service could be a problem tomorrow.

Thanks

Post link not copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:40 PM

12,461 posts, read 17,679,887 times
Keeper,

The reason that it is blowing hot is because the unit is frozen. You need to turn the unit off and allow it to thaw; and then in about 45 minutes or so you can turn ONLY the fan (blower) back on. After you get good air coming through the vents you can turn the unit back on. Call your service person on Monday because your unit is probably low on freon. They can also check to check for leaks at the service call.

Sorry; hope this helps a little.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:10 AM

Thanks.. I do think the freon might be low as it ran all day yesterday on 80 and temp was still 82 when I posted last night. I turned on the attic fan (thank goodness I have that) to cool the house off last night.
In FL most people had their units serviced every year but here I don't think they want to crawl under the house because of the brown recluse spiders, can't say I blame them.
Thanks again...

Old 08-19-2007, 07:52 AM

8,192 posts, read 19,069,847 times
Have you cleaned the coils lately? They should be cleaned at least once a year. If the coils are dirty the unit will freeze up.

You don't need any chemicals to clean the coils, just water. You can clean the outdoor portion with your garden hose and the indoor portion with a rag & a bucket of water.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:15 AM

5,404 posts, read 7,398,942 times
Time to be nice to the AC technician. Best scenario - you are running your unit over capacity because of our heat wave, may have a leak or are short on gas. Especially in your area an initial visit should be a matter or courtesy. Probably at an unusual hour.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Time to be nice to the AC technician. Best scenario - you are running your unit over capacity because of our heat wave, may have a leak or are short on gas. Especially in your area an initial visit should be a matter or courtesy. Probably at an unusual hour.

Imagine my surprise when I removed an air freshner for A/C from the filter and my problem cleared up!!!!

I am going to call my A/C guy and have him come check the freon since I bought the house and am not sure how old the unit is.
Threestep.. u know I am always nice..

Old 08-20-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Have you cleaned the coils lately? They should be cleaned at least once a year. If the coils are dirty the unit will freeze up.

You don't need any chemicals to clean the coils, just water. You can clean the outdoor portion with your garden hose and the indoor portion with a rag & a bucket of water.
Thanks but there is NO WAY I am getting under the house to clean anything. Not with the brown recluse spiders under there

You are right when it comes to FL.
I know in FL the coils present a problem (lived there for 30 year) and saw the buildup on the coils but that part of the A/C was in the garage unlike here where it is under the house..
The coils get a build up and you will eventually have to use something stronger than water at least we had to after several years. Of course the A/C people try to get you to have them out every year and eventually try to get you to pay them the big bucks to clean the coils when they don't always need it.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 AM

14,874 posts, read 22,626,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Keeper,

The reason that it is blowing hot is because the unit is frozen. You need to turn the unit off and allow it to thaw; and then in about 45 minutes or so you can turn ONLY the fan (blower) back on. After you get good air coming through the vents you can turn the unit back on. Call your service person on Monday because your unit is probably low on freon. They can also check to check for leaks at the service call.

Sorry; hope this helps a little.
You say you keep it on 80 during the day, is this while your away from home? If so then what do you put it on when you come in for it to cool down? This can also be the problem and will do exactly as what Keeper said. If you put the thermostat TOO LOW then the temp of what is going thru it is too cold and will freeze it up. This used to happen ALL THE TIME when I worked at this one place. The guys that worked outside would come in and be "hot" and throw the thermostat down and then it would freeze up and shut off. It took me FOREVER to finally convince them they were the ones that needed to cool down and not the a/c as they were causing it to go out. Of course they did not believe a girl but when I would watch to see if someone had touched it I would put it back and then it would not freeze up. They just did not understand that they were actually making it work too hard and causing the problems. It is best to leave your a/c set to a pretty constant temp all day and not try to cool off the house when you come in. It just makes it work harder. Granted when it is a certain temp outside it don't matter and it will run nonstop you just can't put it down too low then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House