Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 PM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times

Advertisements

Any plumbers here want to offer some advice my way?
Looking to switch out our soak tub for a jacuzzi tub in our master bath.
The mstr bth is located in the 2nd floor of our home.

How big of a job is this? I'm going to have plumbers do it but I'm more or less wondering if all goes well, how long does this job take? A few hours? Day or 2?

What should I take into consideration before I proceed with this switch?

More or less... what should I be expecting when it comes to cost?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 06:17 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
A jetted tub requires a dedicated electric circuit. A licensed plumber will need to be sure that circuit is either in place from a prior jetted tub or have an electrician install it.

The actual removal the soak tub is easy. If the jetted tub has the same / similar type location for drains, supply and supports the new install could be done in a couple of hours.

It all comes down to shopping. If you "fall in love" with a tub that is going to require a complete relocation of all the plumbing, rebuilding of the supporting structure and re-tiling of the whole bathroom that ain't the plumber's fault. It will take the better part of a week, and if you don't have the schedule hammered out ahead of time be prepared to find out the plumber has "fit in" other clients. That can add significantly to the schedule. Same for electrician and tile guy. In fact that is the "magic" of those HGTV shows where four or five different trades all swoop in with the host to "transform" some bathroom -- they are all "booked" weeks ahead of time.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:53 AM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times
Not looking for any fancy tub, just your run of the mill jacuzzi that is similar in size and shape of the current soak tub. Something that more or less could just be plopped in with very little change in surrounding structure.

So do I have an electrician come before hand for this circuit install or can they be done at the same time?

Also, is there an advantage between going with an air jet over water jacuzzi?

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 AM

74 posts, read 566,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Not looking for any fancy tub, just your run of the mill jacuzzi that is similar in size and shape of the current soak tub. Something that more or less could just be plopped in with very little change in surrounding structure.

So do I have an electrician come before hand for this circuit install or can they be done at the same time?

Also, is there an advantage between going with an air jet over water jacuzzi?

Thanks for the help!
If you have children that love a bubble bath, I would go with the air jet. The soap bubbles will give you a problem if water is run through the pump, as opposed to air jets. As far as the electrician and plumber being there at the same time, it all depends if they are willing to do that. I have done many of these jobs with electricians on the standby. Ideally, the electricians that I work with like me to pull the existing tub and leave. This allows them to run the wires they need to and keeps me out of their way while they are doing it. Once they run the receptacle, I come back in and finish up. This is all done in the same day.

Last edited by tumbleweed118; 09-17-2011 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House