Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 10:39 PM

114 posts, read 535,272 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We just bought a 2-story house with an open staircase and open second floor landing (like a second story bridge), and need ideas on how to make it safe for our 19-year old severely mentally-disabled son. The house works in all other ways, enabling us to sleep on the lower level with our son (two bedrooms and a full bath downstairs). We intend to block the lower level staircase with a tall gate, preventing him from going upstairs, only using the upstairs for guests. I'm just worried that if this gate is ever left open, and he gets up the stairs, that he will hang over the upstairs railing and fall.

Any ideas on how to safely close up the upstairs bridge railing, without closing it off totally (it provides light to the living space below). In every house we have to get creative to make it safe for our son, and this house works in all other ways, just not the open staircase and the upstairs bridge-railing.

Thank you for any ideas!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:12 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnorcm3 View Post
Hi,

We just bought a 2-story house with an open staircase and open second floor landing (like a second story bridge), and need ideas on how to make it safe for our 19-year old severely mentally-disabled son. The house works in all other ways, enabling us to sleep on the lower level with our son (two bedrooms and a full bath downstairs). We intend to block the lower level staircase with a tall gate, preventing him from going upstairs, only using the upstairs for guests. I'm just worried that if this gate is ever left open, and he gets up the stairs, that he will hang over the upstairs railing and fall.

Any ideas on how to safely close up the upstairs bridge railing, without closing it off totally (it provides light to the living space below). In every house we have to get creative to make it safe for our son, and this house works in all other ways, just not the open staircase and the upstairs bridge-railing.

Thank you for any ideas!
How large is the opening on the second floor? What are the materials for the railing across the opening? Would a wrought iron panel work in the opening? Here is a picture of what I'm thinking of. Only difference would be that it would be hung ABOVE the railing. That way light could get in but your son would not be able to lean over. You could get a swing gate in the same design to close off the stairs at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Staircase and second floor landing-bridge safety ideas??-wrought-iron.jpg  

Last edited by Va-Cat; 09-17-2011 at 11:21 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 PM

114 posts, read 535,272 times
Oh, I like that wrought iron panel idea. I want to keep the light going, no blockage.

One of the openings is large, about 6 feet long, perhaps 5 feet high. The other side of the 'bridge' of the second floor has bricked fireplace columns splitting the 6 feet long space, making them smaller open spaces, more manageable. The railing is a normal oak railing, normal height (3-1/2 feet, perhaps?).

Are the wrought iron panels heavy? I wonder if they could be hung to fill in the spaces above the railing? Basically hanging from the ceiling above the railing, with wire fastening them to the railing, to fill in any space that would be present.

My son is the 'King of Climbing' so whatever goes up in that spot has to be strong, and durable. In past homes we have had to build floor to ceiling railings, making the area look like a jail. I'm hoping to avoid that in this house but still need it to be safe.

Thanks for the idea, Va-Cat!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,883,712 times
How abour replacing the wood rail that is there with a tall(8ft) wrought iron rail that does not have a climbable design? that way it will be one material and not look patched on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House