Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:55 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times

Advertisements

Here is a picture of a house we bought in January. Since then we have removed all trees, bushes and plants around the house. What can we replace them with that would look nice? We are going to have flowers, trees etc... around the yard but we don't want then near the house due to the bug issue I have. (that's on another thread) Thanks for your ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-house.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
How about a big, wide curvy brick walkway from the foundation out, up to your porch with some low flowerbeds in front of that ( I mean on the streetside). Can you have mulch up to the foundation elsewhere, or not? Maybe stones?
A couple of proportional trees for shade at the corners of the house, and maybe a window box on the window in the front brick wall.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:23 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
OH a weeping cherry would be perfect for starters! It would be attractive but not so dense that it would hide your beautiful home. Gentle has some great ideas with the brick and window boxes which are traditional but SO charming.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
we used shingle(small stones) near the house and just the odd plant here and there looks lovely and easy to maintain

Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
How about a big, wide curvy brick walkway from the foundation out, up to your porch with some low flowerbeds in front of that ( I mean on the streetside). Can you have mulch up to the foundation elsewhere, or not? Maybe stones?
A couple of proportional trees for shade at the corners of the house, and maybe a window box on the window in the front brick wall.
We had two trees on the corners and bushes but just took them all out. I have a big issue with bugs and they were all atrracting a lot of bugs. We have pest control in place but it's not enough where I live. I don't want to get into the bug thing too much except to say, I don't want anything around the house that can attract them. If there are some nice flowers or plants that actually repel them I would like to know about it. I thought of putting a nice stone design around the house but there's a high crawl space that's a lot more visible since removing the bushes and I don't know what to put in front of it.. I'm not into statues and things like that, so I need some creative minds to help. I can add mulch but I need more then that too.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:44 PM

The picture is of the house before we removed all the trees and bushes.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Foundation plants are really important - it appears that you had nice ones...did you try to spray for the bugs.....the evergreens anchoring the corners of your home were especially attractive - they needed to be pruned and thinned is all. Did you remove the large tree that is in the foreground of your picture? What do you envision your landscaping looking like?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:07 PM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
Would you happen to have a current photo of the house without plants/greenery?

I was kind of thinking maybe a 4-foot long concrete/stone bench with flower boxes on them. Might hide some of the crawl space from view.

You're de-landscaping, and my mind is flooded with pictures from HGTV's Curb Appeal and Landscaper's Challenge Programs, so that's not going to help. In my mind's eye, I'm also seeing lots of Arizona landscaping for arid/desert climates, but their low-lying shrubs, white stones, cacti/succulents, etc., won't give you any height for camouflaging the crawl space. Gosh, I'm stumped. Sorry!

Any chance your local nursery might have some good tips for the type of yard you're trying to create? Good luck to you!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Foundation plants are really important - it appears that you had nice ones...did you try to spray for the bugs.....the evergreens anchoring the corners of your home were especially attractive - they needed to be pruned and thinned is all. Did you remove the large tree that is in the foreground of your picture? What do you envision your landscaping looking like?
Yes we sprayed, many times. Everytime I walk outside there's bugs all around and the pest control guy even said the trees makes it worse. Since we removed them (not finished yet) there are a lot less bugs. The large tree is staying but we cut back the branches that were going towards the house. That also allowed for more sun to reach the house. Originally I would have liked some nice plants and flowers around the house, I especially like tropical plants. When I moved here I didn't realize how many bugs there were or how big they are. I have a hugh fear of bugs. Now I can't even enjoy my yard and we have over an acre. We use tons of bug spray and have a guy coming every three months but I guess you can't beat mother nature. The bugs are here to stay, I'm just trying to do things to make them less interested in being near the house. I would like to do maybe a stone design around the house but that won't help the crawl space issue.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Would you happen to have a current photo of the house without plants/greenery?

I was kind of thinking maybe a 4-foot long concrete/stone bench with flower boxes on them. Might hide some of the crawl space from view.

You're de-landscaping, and my mind is flooded with pictures from HGTV's Curb Appeal and Landscaper's Challenge Programs, so that's not going to help. In my mind's eye, I'm also seeing lots of Arizona landscaping for arid/desert climates, but their low-lying shrubs, white stones, cacti/succulents, etc., won't give you any height for camouflaging the crawl space. Gosh, I'm stumped. Sorry!

Any chance your local nursery might have some good tips for the type of yard you're trying to create? Good luck to you!
Thanks. I will try to get a pic up by tomorrow. I was also thinking a bench or something like that. I wish I could get HGTV in here to fix this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House