U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:28 PM

281 posts, read 733,660 times
Default Live Frogs/Toads inside House

I have now found 2 frog/toads (don't know which) inside my house. The first was on the toilet (second story bathroom) a few days ago and I just found the second in the hall outside the same bathroom. I have scooped them up in tupperware and taken them outside. Is anyone else having this happen? Is it the heat? I just can not figure out how they are getting in the house and upstairs. In all my years living all over the country I have never had this happen. I just pray it is good luck or something auspicious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 PM

7,362 posts, read 14,269,830 times
I've found a couple on my deck and I've never seen them there before.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:37 PM

579 posts, read 1,992,664 times
It happens to me a lot. Namely because when it's nice I leave the back door open for the dogs to go out and for fresh air. I just catch the little buggers and put them back outside. I think they are sooo cute, especially the tree frogs with the little red toes. so cute!

As an aside... last night for the first time one of my dogs decided to try to catch this toad that was a little jumpier than usual. Well, I thought she ate it becuase she started foaming at the mouth and I thought she was going to die. So I called the emergency animal clinic in Cary and they said that usually, the toad will secrete some nasty tasting stuff that makes the dog spit the toad out but the dog will foam because it's very bitter. So they're not poisonous but I guess they taste gross. I hope the little guy made a clean getaway! she's fine, of course. stupid dog...

Old 08-22-2007, 06:46 AM

576 posts, read 2,138,091 times
In Raleigh they use frogs at the sewage treatment plant to eat all the flies attracted by the stink. As a side effect they always swim into the sewer lines. That's why you find them in or near the bathroom usually. They just swim up into your house through the lines and POP! right up out of the toilet. Wait until it happens when you're actually SITTING ON THE TOILET! Quite a surprise I tell you! But they're harmless. As is my distorted sense of humor.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 AM

1,465 posts, read 2,230,192 times
we finally figured out how little critters we're getting inside our apartment; the culprit was our 4 legged feline. She has brought in a few cockroaches and a lizard. She brings them in alive and just likes to sit there and watch them never killing them. My husband took out one of the cockroaches and by george the cat retrived it and brought it back in moments later. We'll see if she brings in a frog. Ever time she comes back in the house we have to take a look and see if she's carrying anything . . never a dull moment!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Gastric...sense of humor?

Ok, so is you sense of humor telling me they come out of the toilet or are you for real?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:40 PM

2,246 posts, read 5,780,921 times
Have you Googled it? I did and found some ideas.

Based on this article, they probably did come out of the toilet, but not all the way from the sewer plant ...

newsobserver.com | ED THE PLUMBER: Squirrels go nuts for toilets, too (broken link)

Of course this one claims they just came in for water, but perhaps this story is in your area?

newsobserver.com | Now playing: Frogs in a toilet (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/durham/story/482501.html - broken link)

This one suggests you call the water/sewer department:

snopes.com: Frog in the toilet

Old 08-22-2007, 07:45 PM

836 posts, read 2,258,430 times
Frogs seek water where they can get it. We had one living next to our sump pump for a while....our own little ecosystem. I would guess with the incredible drought we are having, they are looking pretty hard for little wet areas!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 PM

997 posts, read 2,960,610 times
Are they the little peepers or tree frogs some call? There was a thread not too long ago about these in someones backyard. If you do a search you can probably find the old posts. I have seen them but never in the house....
My Golden Retreiver would probably run away from it. He is that dumb. He is even afraid of cats. He will hide behind me and put his head between my legs when he sees one.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Default thanks J Lurk

Ok, I guess I believe they are coming out of the toilet in some fashion. Down a pipe or up the sewer. There were puddles of water on the floor, now that I think of it. No more going to the bathroom in the dark.
My husband doesn't like frogs. We tease him about being scared, but he says they really just creep him out. Good thing I am the one collecting them and releasing them. We've just potty trained our twins so I am glad they aren't traumatized about going to the bathroom. I guess a thorough inspection of the bathroom on a regular basis is in order. Maybe once this heat wave is over those frogs will be happier out side!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House