Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,748 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Tapachula, Mexico, plan on taking our front load Maytag, but do not seem to find he washing powder. Any suggestions?
Margarita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
Yeah, leave the Maytag here and buy a washer in Mexico. You won't find HE detergent in Mexico or in any other country. It's a US stupid thing. The issue is with phosphates in the detergent. The morons in the US claim it promotes oxygen destroying algae in water when on fact the phosphates that are promoting these algae are found in fertilizers, not the type found in detergents. We're the only people on the face of the earth stupid enough to believe researchers who have an agenda. But really, leave the washer here and buy a decent one in Mexico. The probabilities are high that while the electricity is the same 120V, the plugs most likely won't work with your machine and it would have to be rewired. If the house comes with a laundry room, probabilities are even higher there is no 120V electricity there but 220V. They use 220V for most anything over light bulbs. Ariel is a very popular brand there and is available in the States....well, in Texas anyway.
But, should you decide to keep that washer, you can make your own HE detergent. Take a bar of Ivory soap and shave it. Take one box of washing soda. Dissolve both in 3 gallons of water- takes a day or so. Use one cup per load. Works great on grease stains too. I use this on my work clothes in my HE Maytag.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:24 AM

20,291 posts, read 37,153,276 times
HE detergents are quite common, and found on the shelves near other detergents. The easiest way to identify HE detergents is by looking at the attention calling He or HE symbols on the front label
http://www.google.com/search?q=photo...w=1180&bih=593

Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Grated Fels Naptha soap works wonders on grease in hot water wash. Use it with washing soda and borax for a great laundry soap.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 AM

30 posts, read 139,338 times
Yeah, I didn't have a clue about the whole HE detergent thing until I bought my high tech LG front loader washer for my new house. On the other hand, this washer took out some stains that the local public laundramat couldn't using regular detergent. The wash time cycle is well over an hour but it did the trick. It also removes so much water during the spin cycle that drying time is only about 15-20 minutes now, so it all balances out.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,818,606 times
I also have an LG frontloader and we had longterm houseguests who were buying their own laundry detergent. It turns out, they were buying regular stuff. The front door gasket started leaking. The repair guy fixed it under warranty, but he said it was from the use of non-HE detergent. That's how I found out they were using non-HE. YMMV.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 AM

22,555 posts, read 47,605,466 times
I have been using regular liquid detergent in my front loader for many years. No problems or repercussions...

Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,529,053 times
I use HE detergent (Tide) in my front loader but less than the recommended amount. When I use fabric softener only use about a tablespoon and that seems to be enough. My dryer manual says don't use dryer sheets.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,899,762 times
Make your own?
Make A Year’s Worth of Laundry Soap for $30.00! | One Good Thing by Jillee

Old 12-07-2014, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,118 times
The only HE detergents I find in supermarkets are for washing machines for clothes. I find no such detergents specified for dishwashers. When I have used two different brands of these HE washing machine detergents, my dishwasher has flooded my kitchen floor, which consists of high-quality wood. Now I will have to replace a great deal of flooring. I have been around a long time but never heard of a dishwasher leaking out of its front door. Why does Maytag produce such a defective dishwasher that is so particular? -- Steven M. Stanley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House