U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2007, 06:02 PM

13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times

Advertisements

I have 2 bedrooms that no one uses. If I close the vent and shut the door is that going to help my A/C not run so much or does it make a difference.

I know it is going to run a lot right now since we have had temps in 100s for the last 2 weeks.

Post link not copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:07 PM

20,495 posts, read 16,828,337 times
It wont really make much difference but out here, there are many who just dont use their hot water heaters, and turn the breaker off. That might help in the 'electricity usage' part. They have it run maybe a couple of hours in the morning, and because the water lines go through the attics, it comes out hot all day long. Sometimes the hot water in the cold water lines could be a problem though, if you need to use cold water for laundry, lol.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 PM

8,415 posts, read 14,337,714 times
I don't think it makes a lot of difference. But beware that the humidity doesn't get too high in those rooms or you could encourage mold growth. Mold abatement is a lot more expensive than electricity!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 PM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,457,266 times
When the electrician put in our heat pump/central air, he told me not to close off too many doors. It ruins the efficiency of the unit? Our children like their bedroom doors closed when they come to visit. They complain that their rooms are too hot/cold according to the season. I tell them if they want to be more comfortable to open the doors. You can probably test to see if you save electricity. Check with the manufacturer or the electric company. They really know about these things.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:52 PM

6,978 posts, read 16,628,511 times
Thermostats are usually located to get the best air flow. When you close off vents, this forces that extra air into the other vents. This will make those rooms too cool before the air flows to the thermostat. It may be that your house is arranged so that it would work OK, but chances are that it won't.

The mold problem could be a real pain if it got started.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:05 PM

61 posts, read 127,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Thermostats are usually located to get the best air flow. When you close off vents, this forces that extra air into the other vents. This will make those rooms too cool before the air flows to the thermostat. It may be that your house is arranged so that it would work OK, but chances are that it won't.

The mold problem could be a real pain if it got started.
If I may elaborate on your very good point, I would like to point out that A/C units are installed and callibrated for the size of house. Closing off certain rooms probably would not have an adverse effect and closing off just the vents (as long as some air comes through) may not be a bad thing. Additions to a homes size could be bad since the A/C would have to work harder. But anyway, I had to shut vents to a room that was the closest to the air handler closet, it was mighty chilly in there; the room farthest away didn't get enough air - so this way it seemed to even out and it's been at least two years and no A/C problems. But doing it to save money I'm not sure about. Lowering the temperature is the only way I know of saving money on the A/C. Also, here in Fla our A/Cs have dehumidifiers working in unison, taking that moisture out is key to comfort and efficiency. Also - if your A/C unit is older it may not be as efficient as the newer ones. It does cost a lot to upgrade though.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 PM

61 posts, read 127,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I have 2 bedrooms that no one uses. If I close the vent and shut the door is that going to help my A/C not run so much or does it make a difference.

I know it is going to run a lot right now since we have had temps in 100s for the last 2 weeks.

Keeper - Adding more rooms to a homes cooling system is bad, A/C units are designed for the size of the home. Closing off rooms should do nothing to it's efficiency but just might save you some money. The reason your A/C might be running so much could also be the moisture in the air. Some A/Cs are more efficient than others at removing the moisture. Also, check for any areas that could be letting that hot air in, like door frames, windows, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House