U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:50 PM

90 posts, read 115,095 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm looking for tips or suggestions on cleaning wood cabinets and stainless steel appliances! Any store bought or home made product seem to work best and not harm the wood or appliances?! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
For stainless Shelia Shine.

For wood Murphy's is good but often not necessary. Lemon oil is also a good cleaner that treats the wood at the same time again really not necessary unless it is bare wood with no finish on it at all. Usually a warm damp sponge works fine.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 PM

19,893 posts, read 8,190,135 times
I use Orange Glo for my stainless steel appliances.

Orange Glo

Old 10-25-2011, 05:20 PM

21,724 posts, read 37,184,337 times
Bona makes a nice " spray cleaner" for kitchen cabinets. It will take off finger prints and and light kitchen "splatter" will leaving NO residue behind which is KEY to maintaining wood -- all the silicone and crap in other products will be a magnet for goo that builds up and ruins cabinets.

If you like a more "creme" style product I can recommend the "Parker & Bailey" product.

I do NOT recommend "Lemon Oil" or any citrus based products because they can and do attack finishes as well as eventually becoming "gummy"!

When it comes to Stainless Steel I also believe "simpler is better" and other use "el cheap" generic window cleaner . If the goo is too thick to be cut I get the product called "Dirtex" from Savogran and mix that up. It is "pre- paint" type cleaner like TSP and it too leaves no residue -- awesome for cleaner SS exhaust hoods and other grease magnet surfaces in kitchen.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,493,521 times
Stainless steel, get a foaming stainless spray... All I see companies use. Almost feels like it waxed it too.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
If you buy some of those products mentioned above you will not have your cabinets for long. You'll be calling me for new ones.

If you buy junk like that Lemon Pledge or that new fad orange junk (both having acid in the ingredients) the wood will become orange peel like in surface finish. Cherry wood will be ready for the junk heap in 2 years with Lemon Pledge or Orange goo frequent usage.

The best product on the market is CABINET MAGIC. There is a whole series of MAGIC products and I don't really know if they work. But the Cabinet Magic sure does. The Magic products come in color coded cans. Blue has always been Cabinet Magic but of late I see it combined with wood magic and has become orange.

There is Stainless Magic, Oven Magic, Granite Magic, Tile Magic and so on. I'm not even sure how well they work but there is no better product then Cabinet Magic for your wood furniture or cabinets. I have 3 decades of success to back up my words with this product.

Only the 2 dreaded big box stores, Lowes and Home Shidpo as well as woodworking supply stores carry it. It's about $5 per can. Spray the spray on the wood, use a 100% cotton T-shirt to wipe WITH the grain of the wood. You will be very happy.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 PM

2,304 posts, read 3,657,999 times
If you are just wanting to remove grease and dirt on kitchen cabinets, WD-40 works fabulous. It has great solvency for the grease and dirt and won't hurt the finish. If you are going to use a wiping urethane and need to clean them up first, plain ol' isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel works great but use it on a test area first. Some cabinets can have a lacquered stain and the alcohol will remove it.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 PM

10,561 posts, read 8,935,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I use Orange Glo for my stainless steel appliances.
Me too! I've been recommending ORANGE GLO for stainless steel (and wood) for years. I've bought every possible other specialty product for stainless steel and nothing works so well as ORANGE GLO! It's awesome!!!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 AM

11,005 posts, read 10,014,434 times
For stainless steel, any good degreaser or all purpose cleaner diluted to the proper ratios works great. I use the exact same APC I use for my car for years now.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 AM

5,269 posts, read 11,713,232 times
I have tried many different cleaners, polishes, etc. made for stainless steel. The thing is many of them leave a residue that picks up fingerprints like a magnet. About six months ago I started using water (in a spray bottle) and a micro-fiber cloth....this combination will instantly clean up fingerprints on stainless steel, not leave a residue and truly works better than anything I have tried - and it is free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House