Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 PM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times

Advertisements

Got a draft coming in from our main floor bathroom (powder room?).
I want to fix or try to fix it just don't know what I'm looking for.
I take the cover off the vent, then what? Is there a damper that will be in plain view or do I need to take whole vent down?

Bathroom is always cold and I hear the damper just flap... flap... flap...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Depends where the exhaust is vented to.

The "old right way" is to run a section of duct horizontally for a few feet then have an elbow and have the duct terminate with a roof cap or eave exhaust. If you have that and it is flapping around you need to replace the damper at the exhaust end.

If you don't have that you could go the old route (and fix whatever duct / damper is missing / broken) but it would be better protection against future drafts to use a more modern "inline fan" that would be installed up in the attic. You then run the power from the switch in the bathroom to remotely power the fan, you can even have multiple bathrooms vented with just a single inline fan and proper wiring. Better for indoor air quality, fewer holes in the roof, much quieter and ultimately just a nicer setup...

Old 10-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Depends where the exhaust is vented to.

The "old right way" is to run a section of duct horizontally for a few feet then have an elbow and have the duct terminate with a roof cap or eave exhaust. If you have that and it is flapping around you need to replace the damper at the exhaust end.
I just checked really quick and it seems like this is how the bathroom is vented.
There is an exhaust at the eave.

From the outside, I looked up at the eave and didn't see a damper.
Before I get up on the ladder and start to take things apart, should the damper be visible or do I have to remove the cover which looked like this to get to the damper:

Old 10-27-2011, 02:06 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
From the outside, I looked up at the eave and didn't see a damper.
Before I get up on the ladder and start to take things apart, should the damper be visible
They're designed to be unobtrusive... but they aren't invisible.

Quote:
or do I have to remove the cover which looked like this to get to the damper
Your picture looks like the heat vent louvre in my RV.
If that is what you have then the problem is that there is no damper in it.

take a look through some of these

hth

Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
If the picture posted is accurate, and the cap does not have an integrated damper, you need an inline damper: Bathroom Exhaust Fan Draft Blocker

Old 10-27-2011, 03:09 PM

The picture is accurate, that's what I have.

Just to confirm then, there is NO damper at the housing unit in the bathroom, right?
So if there is no damper in the housing unit and no damper on the outside exhaust, then what the heck is flapping?

thanks for the link chet... i'll have to look into that now.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Just to confirm then, there is NO damper at the housing unit in the bathroom, right?
There should be one... but that (as much as anything) is about the odors from the
adjacent bathroom that is often piped to the same exit point.

Anyway... regardless of what is at the the fan (or not) at the outside of the house
there should be a damper to prevent that outside air from coming in.

Quote:
So if there is no damper in the housing unit and no damper on the outside exhaust,
then what the heck is flapping?
At the fan? probably the broken pieces of the old damper.
That might be repairable btw but is still only half the fix; maybe only 1/3.

hth

Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

At the fan? probably the broken pieces of the old damper.

hth

LOL... damn you just made me laugh.... best laugh I've had today.... LOL

Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
If you have the typical fart fan like a Broan, the backdraft damper is built in to the exhaust port where the pipe is connected. The illustration in the spec sheet is non-descript but, in the spec's it clearly states "backdraft damper".
That's what you're hearing.

http://www.broan.com/ImageLibrary/broan/pdf/Specifications/Broan_770_784_Specification_Sheet_99044576C.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-27-2014, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 13,354 times
Default There is a solution to drafty bathroom fans

The back draft preventer commonly call the flap, does not seal very well. The flap on Broan and NuTone models can easily be broken. The flap on Panasonic models does not seal at all, and leaves gaps in the exhaust line when closed. You may want to look at the damper fan offered by the Larson Fan Company if you want to eliminate the cold draft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House