U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 PM

310 posts, read 306,275 times
Default Selling a Chain-Link Fence

I plan on selling our chain link fence on craigslist. It is galvanized, about 220+ ft. worth and was in our backyard when we bought our house. However, our property line extends about 10 feet beyond the main part of the fence and we'd like to put a wooden one in next year.

A couple questions: what would be the best way to do this? It is embedded in concrete and I want to get as much $ as I possibly can for this fence. It's in pretty good shape. How should I go about removing the poles from the concrete? How should it be advertised on craigslist? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 03:20 PM

16,344 posts, read 18,905,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
How should it be advertised on craigslist?
"free to a good home"
How should I go about removing the poles from the concrete?
Give the concrete to them right along with the poles.
...I want to get as much $ as I possibly can for this fence.
relative to how much effort you put into that
It's in pretty good shape.
That'll make it easier to get rid of than a complete POS would be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
hth

Old 10-28-2011, 03:51 PM

15,820 posts, read 28,597,550 times
It will be hard to sell. It will be harder to remove. You might be better off offering free it to anyone who will remove it for you. I could see someone charging $1000 to remove that fence, poles, and concrete. It is a lot of work.

If you remove it, you will need to remove the clips holding the fence to the pole (there will be dozens, maybe hundreds). unless it is a bolted type of clip, I would just cut the clips, not try to preserve them. New clips cost nothing. If it is bolted, just unbolt them.

Then roll up the fence sections. You will need to separate the sections and roll them up individually. It must be fastened together somewhere because a single roll of 220' of fence would only be movable via a forklift. If it is welded, you will have to cut it. Cut it carefully so that it can be welded back together.

Removing the poles is the hard part. You cannot get the poles out of the concrete while in the ground. Saturate the ground around the poles (get it really really soaking wet) dig out as much as you can around the concrete. Fill the hole with water and let it sit overnight. Then rock the pole back and forth until you can wiggle it out. Then pull the whole thing out concrete and all. If you want to , you can then try to break the concrete away from the pole with a sledge hammer after the pole is out of the ground, but that would be kind of crazy. Better to just sell it with the concrete if anyone wants it. You may have to haul the poles and concrete to the dump.

Another option would be to rent a skid-steer and put a chain around the pole and just yank it out of the ground (ground still needs to be wet).

You might get lucky and find a buyer for the fence and poles other than a scrap yard. If you were in my town and it was spring, I would probably consider buying the fence, but most likely not the poles. It would be too much work to try to re-set them with the concrete on them and too much work to remove the concrete. I would just buy new poles.

You might want to consider cutting off the poles with a sawzall and just leave the concrete and bottoms of the poles in the ground and sell the tops of the poles to a scrap metal dealer. However those concrete bases may be in the way of new wooden fence posts later.

Another option might be to leave the metal poles and figure out a way to use them to support your wooden fence. You might want to cover them with one by fours or put the fence inside them so the ugly poles are on the outside.

If you have gates, remove them very carefully. Gates are very expensive, especially large (car sized) gates. If it works, you might want to leave large gates in place. Big wooden gates eventually sag. You can pull them up with turnbuckles, but eventually, you just need to replace them.

Good luck. This is a tough project.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,561,569 times
Keep the current fence, build a new one 10 feet out from it, put your guard dogs to work in the buffer zone between the 2...

Yeah, seriously, I am not sure the fence itself is worth much "on the hoof". If you wanted to sell just the chain link "fabric" and keep the poles, I would suggest the usual junkyard rule of thumb on pricing - half off of what it would be new. But the poles are a liability, way better deal to buy new poles than to take yours for free, particularly if you want the holes where the concrete was filled in.

I like CJ's idea of sawing the poles off flush and selling them for scrap, leaving the concrete alone in the ground. Although it might be easier to flame-cut them off flush, most sawzalls I have seen you would leave a nub at least an inch high.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Keep the current fence, build a new one 10 feet out from it, put your guard dogs to work in the buffer zone between the 2...

Yeah, seriously, I am not sure the fence itself is worth much "on the hoof". If you wanted to sell just the chain link "fabric" and keep the poles, I would suggest the usual junkyard rule of thumb on pricing - half off of what it would be new. But the poles are a liability, way better deal to buy new poles than to take yours for free, particularly if you want the holes where the concrete was filled in.

I like CJ's idea of sawing the poles off flush and selling them for scrap, leaving the concrete alone in the ground. Although it might be easier to flame-cut them off flush, most sawzalls I have seen you would leave a nub at least an inch high.
I do not have a cutting torch. I do have a big sawzall with a long blade. I could cut them about 1/4" up and then just bury them. A torch would be better.

Would it be possible to heat the concrete enough to crack it?

Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Mitch; you are in the wrong forum. I am waiting for your input into dealing with my Son damaged car.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:56 PM

5,019 posts, read 8,588,697 times
LOL

What Mr. Rational and coldjens said
Quote:
You might be better off offering free it to anyone who will remove it for you
That's what we did with ours. Freecycle baby!!! You come and dig it out and take it away!

We gave a smaller section to one of the nice subs who worked on our remodeling project.

I would like to think they re-used it (hate waste) but if they sold it for scrap, hey, they earned that money!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 PM

7,018 posts, read 6,341,471 times
I have several rolls of 6' chain-link fencing that I removed from around a large vegetable garden when I bought my small Texas farm. I plan to just sell the rolls as scrap metal although used 6' chainlink sells around here for anywhere between $.50 to $1.00 per linear foot. Scrap iron is going for about $.08 a pound but we're not talking about a large amount of money either way.

The way I've removed posts set in concrete is to dig around them so as to allow water to set around the base of the post. After a good soaking with a water hose, I use a small tractor with a boom pole to slowly yank the post out of the ground.

About the only way to get rid of the concrete anchor that remains on the base of the post once its been pulled is a good 8-pound sledge. It's not easy work cleaning the posts.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:42 PM

5,101 posts, read 7,915,343 times
If you plan on giving it away, contact some local rescues, humane societies, etc. Fencing is always needed for the fosters they take in!

Old 10-29-2011, 07:52 PM

310 posts, read 306,275 times
Thanks everyone for the responses!! You all have given me much to consider, and I thank you for the time you took in responding. Excellent input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House