U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:07 AM

4,202 posts, read 6,716,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

The real issue w/r/t how much time gets spent...
is the level of persnicketyness that is expected.

hth
I am not OCD or anything, but like to keep it neat ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You really do help determine how much yard work you will have by what you plant. We have two very large flower gardens and 2 medium sized flower gardens. We spend at least 6 to 7 hrs on our yard each week (late spring and summer) - sometimes more. Right now we are cutting back perennials and removing annuals - we will spend 10 hrs on our yard at least this week. Same thing when we are planting for spring, summer and fall annual color, applying mulch, pruning, spraying - we can easily spend 8 to 12 hrs. a week.

If you don't want to spend much time in the garden, plant only perennials that require minimum care each season. We removed tons of hard-to-cultivate, needy plants when we moved into our home. Don't plant annual color or at least keep it to a minimum and use seeds when possible (annual color is wonderful but expensive to maintain and buy). Use time-released plant food that only needs to be applied a couple times per season. Buy plants that don't need tons of water. Keep potted plants to a minimum (they need lots of water and food during the growing season). Check with your local garden center to determine which plants do well in your area and require minimum care.
Good ideas...In my next yard (if I have one) I should have basic shrubs and then a planting bed or 2 that I can add some summer color in if I want to. That worked well way back in the 90's.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post

OP, If you like plants but don't want the lawn you could have a meadow, patio, or woodland garden. Perhaps you could even do this where you currently live if you want to stay there.
Probably 2 acres is just woods , but even that has weeds that come up and limbs that fall a lot. The hardest part is the house & pool area right now.

Selling this house is a definite. We had planned to anyway when the kids hit college. I need a house 1/2 this size, so I have less to pay, less to heat & less to clean...

Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,259,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
That is one option because I figured that the $ for townhouse fees would almost pay for having my yard mowed in a house,
I was going to post this. Around here, HOA in townhomes are about $100/month, give or take. While that covers yard work, it also covers outside maintenance of the townhome so keep that in mind as well. If your income is such that it supports having someone come paint your house as needed, putting in new windows as needed, getting a new roof as needed, a small house might be the way to go.

When we retire my ideal place would be what is called a detached townhome. Some areas call them patio homes, villas, etc. They are single family homes in a townhome type development. All the perks of a townhome, NO common walls with neighbors.

As for how much time, I agree, that is totally dependent on what you have in your yard. In one house we owned we had a 60x120 yard, not big but not too small either. We had some evergreen bushes in the front and nothing in the back. It took about 30-45 minutes to mow and trim. Not a big deal at all and the yard was flat so easy.

Here we have 100x200 lot with a LOT of landscaping. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to cut the grass and several hours to weed each week. My husband likes to putz around in the yard so it's ok for now. Our next home will not have this much lawn care.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 AM

3,236 posts, read 4,684,625 times
Our house sits in a downtown historict district so although it is a SFH, we are in close quarters to neighbors. However, the neighbors are friendly and the yard is manageable. It is probably 1/4 of acre. the previous owner did some landscaping around the base of the front porch and back so it only requires weeding. There is a patio in back and we are looking to expand the patio and/or finish off more of the area with beds and mulch so there is less grass. Also, we created a section for composting, the trash and recycling and any brush or yard debris that gets picked up (the city picks up).

I can cut my lawn within an hour. So weeding and cutting really is 1-2.0 hrs. Build in more time if you plan to landscape, prune, etc. I do the work since I enjoy it (it is therpeutic).

Good advice from other posters regarding plants and trees that are native to your area (minimal care). Good luck!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:27 PM

3,902 posts, read 2,759,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
That is one option because I figured that the $ for townhouse fees would almost pay for having my yard mowed in a house,
The townhouse that I was considering had a maintenance fee of $185 per month. For my home, I pay $35 a week to have my lawn mowing and trimming done.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:20 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,757,208 times
I have a small suburban corner lot maybe 120 feet by 60 feet, with a 30x20 house, a 24x22 detached garage, a 22x30 driveway and sidewalks on both streets.

During the summer, I used to mow the lawn once or twice a week, using a mulching mower and taking about 45 minutes per mow. Trimming could add another 30 minutes. Garden weeding was ignored as was pavement edging. I got tired of it.

I now pay $30 a week for a professional crew to mow and trim my lawn and edge all the pavement. They take about 20 minutes (having the right equipment helps). The gardens have been either eliminated or severely reduced and replanted with tough drought resistant plants; it's almost no maintenance, except for spring and fall cleanup and occassional weeding (mulching helps).

Old 10-30-2011, 07:34 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,259,478 times
Another time saver, raise the deck of the mower to the highest level, don't cut your grass so short, it is better for your lawn and really requires less upkeep/mowing. You shouldn't really mow more than once/week. Grass likes it's roots to be shaded.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 PM

4,174 posts, read 7,800,712 times
When considering a home, make sure it has an automatic sprinkler system if there is substantial grass. I see my neighbors constantly fighting that battle.

Consider twin homes with only one common wall, smaller yards, lower upkeep, no HOA. Best of both worlds IMO.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:53 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,593,035 times
I live in a traditional suburban neighborhood currently - not my favorite, but it's where I am now! We have a fairly good sized front yard with four huge trees that have very small leaves - so even when they fall, they don't have to be raked.

We have a lawn service that mows every two weeks - takes the guy five minutes tops to unload his lawn mower, run it around the yard, and hop back in his truck - and it costs about $35 a month.

We also have automatic sprinklers that come on every other evening.

I do some hand watering every day - but if I got tired of it, I could give those plants away, and the yard wouldn't look all that different.

Our regular suburban-sized backyard has been left in a more natural state - so a little hand watering is all that's necessary most weeks - and once every other month the lawn guy goes back there and mows - just to keep it looking neat.

We have the best looking yard on the block - tons of flowers in spring - and those gorgeous huge trees and green lawn year round - and yet I spend less than an hour a week on it. It can be done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House