Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,579 times

Advertisements

It can be handy to own an electric pole chain saw if you have some trees around the house.
You don't have to think about getting gasoline when you want to use it.
And the cheaper models will do the job if it's light work. It wont replace a real chainsaw.
***MOD CUT***
Don't forget to wear a helmet if you are pruning overhead

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 07-09-2011 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: no ads allowed per the TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 03:21 AM

10 posts, read 12,210 times
I am using Green Works 20672 G-MAX 40V 8-Inch Cordless Pole Saw, 2Ah Battery and Charger Included. The Light weight makes it perfect for trimming branches on high trees. This saw has worked well and I like it and plan to get other tools that work with this same battery. I have found that the chain Tigner dose loosens up and the complete system is a little heaver then I like. The saw does not detach from the pole. You could take out the middle pole and it is shorter so you could certainly use it for any branches on the ground. It is a great saw and the battery life is really long also. Would I buy it again… Yes… Yes… Yes..

Old 12-12-2017, 06:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
I know this is a necrothread, but keep in mind that each tool has its own purpose.

A lot of times there are a lot of small branches clustered together, and more branches down low. In this case it will be a real chore to try to fish a pole chainsaw up through a nest of branches to get to the ones you want to cut, plus it's a lot heavier to hold it up there. In that case the regular pole saw/lopper, probably with the saw blade taken off, is the right choice.

On the other hand, if you have a couple limbs that are 2" in diameter, you will never cut them with the lopper and you may find they bounce too much to cut with the pole saw, so that's the place for the pole chainsaw.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:36 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
A pole chainsaw is my tool of choice for situations where there is unknown torsion in a branch or the possibility of a domino effect. Being ten to fifteen feet away gives me vision and a chance to move if things go pear shaped.

Harbor Freight has a cheap electric pole saw, but buy the warranty with it unless you only use it for extremely light duty. The brushes in the motor are not up to any heavier work.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have a electric one that I trim lower limbs on trees with for years now. Works very well.Paid $89.00 dollars like five years ago use it at least twice a year.It not a Remington but I foregt the name and it stored right now.
It's now $84.99. This has been a great tool. It is a little heavy to hold up in the air very long. My friend Jony used it to trim the tops of my two apple trees and have also used it as a chain saw to clean up some small brush and wood on the ground. The only issue that he has had is the oiler doesn't seem to work which he compensates by just running oil on the chain every couple of cuts. Also, the oil all runs out during storage. Otherwise, it has worked great.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:35 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
Interjecting, fyi. If you need a saw, it's a different thing. But I have had a pole lopper that works actually with that rope pulley system. If it's nice and sharp it works well trimming BUT the branches can't be too thick of course. I use it for my trees I need to keep a certain height. Of course, you'd have a little different leverage than a gas saw so you'd have to add in that factor as well.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:49 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
You might take a look at an Earthwise electric chain polesaw. I got one and it works very well and cuts bigger and tougher limbs, than you might imagine. It's 9 feet long and has a 6-inch blade. The telescoping pole can be shortened.

I read dozens of customer reviews of many brands and models before I bought this and it was the most highly-regarded. Some people complain that the self-feeding oil reservoir should be larger, but I've never had a problem with it. Unless you are cutting a large volume, it should be enough.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:18 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Harbor Freight has a cheap electric pole saw, but buy the warranty with it unless you only use it for extremely light duty. The brushes in the motor are not up to any heavier work.
Yep. Harbor freight ones work just fine for home use. On sale for $58 right now. Electric chainsaw pole saw is 100 times easier than a manual pole saw.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Yep. Harbor freight ones work just fine for home use. On sale for $58 right now. Electric chainsaw pole saw is 100 times easier than a manual pole saw.
Worked well so far. The only problem is harbor freight does not carry replacement chain or bar oil. On the other hand, it is easy to carry, easy to extend, easy to lift and easy to maneuver.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Whatg I bought at Home Depot was similar. You buy a gas-powered string trimmer, they are currently pushing Ryobi, cost me $119 last week. Then, you choose from a list of "Expand-it" accessories that will fit the string trimmer motor. The chain saw attachment is around $89. It is a small, slow chain saw, and will cut moderate size branches. You can also buy an extension that will thrust the chain saw higher. However, the chain saw attachment has no motor of it's own, and can't be used except on the end of the string trimmer motor.

If you look at the image of the string trimmer, you will see the connector in the middle of the handle. You can also get edger, blower, hedge trimmer and other accessories that fit the motor.

There are different brands that use the same system -- my chain saw is actually a John Deere brand, fits my Ryobi, and also fits my son-in-law's Troy-bilt string trimmer.
We have this Ryobi system with about five different attachments. Seemed like a good idea at the time. the ole saw works well but it can be awkward to use. If you get kick back, you do not have the leverage to stop it from falling all the way back over to the ground. Generally you can shut it down and slow it enough to prevent any damage. It worked well for small brushy stuff. Bigger stuff took a while and you had to deal with the balance/leverage issues. We liked it enough that we used it even on the ground for smaller stuff, it worked better than the big saw for that purpose.

Then the Ryobi powerhead thingy died. the price had doubled on the thing over the year and a half before it broke and since it barely outlasted the warranty, I wanted to get something else, but having invested so much in attachments we had to get another Ryobi power head. That one lasted about three years before it croaked. Now all that stuff is sitting in the garage waiting for me to figure out how to fix it or get a new one. I took it to a repair shop and they said it normally costs about $250 to repair them (typically a fuel system rebuild/cleaning). They cost less than that even at the now greatly inflated prices.

I think they dumped those power-heads on the market cheap ($69) so they could get everyone to invest in attachments and then have to keep buying new powerheads as they raised the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House