Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 PM

41 posts, read 166,700 times

Advertisements

We close on our new house in 2 weeks. We are debating what to do with the backyard. We have two dogs, so we want to keep as much grassy area as possible. I love trees, so we'll be planting several different types of trees (mostly small ones, but a few large shade trees). The yard slopes down towards the house, and there is a small drainage issue. Our inspector recommended that we install a french drain at the point where the yard levels out.

We have talked about installing a retaining wall to maximize the amount of flat ground available. Here are some photos of the yard (sorry for the poor quality...they are from listing websites). What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 03:55 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
I'm seeing 3 levels.
One at the top (aligned w/the fence)...
one at the bottom (aligned with the house...
and one in the middle.

That makes two retaining walls...
each about 3-4 feet high.

hth

Old 11-12-2011, 04:14 PM

41 posts, read 166,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm seeing 3 levels.
One at the top (aligned w/the fence)...
one at the bottom (aligned with the house...
and one in the middle.

That makes two retaining walls...
each about 3-4 feet high.

hth
Thanks! What about our fence? Would we have to replace it or could we use the same fence? I'm just wondering how it will affect it when we level out parts of the ground, since the fence is on a slope now.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoralis View Post
...when we level out parts of the ground, since the fence is on a slope now.
The retaining walls and terraces don't have to extend all the way to the fence.
Hold the walls back a few feet... keep that area as it is.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:16 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Check with your local Village, Town or County; some may require a permit for retaining walls (may depend on height and grade).

Old 11-12-2011, 05:21 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
" The yard slopes down towards the house, and there is a small drainage issue. Our inspector recommended that we install a french drain at the point where the yard levels out. "

Listen to this advice! Find a competent contractor and make this drain THE first item you install or suffer severe foundation water damage!!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 05:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Making changes to grade or "ground works" tend to be quite costly. Most firms that have the equipment to do heavy excavating tend to get engaged only when the home is being built for the messy foundation, or when homeowners want to but in a big in- ground pool. They tend to tear up all the landscaping and the replacement costs get quite high.

Depending on what sort of play area vs entertaining you want / need the decision to lay down sod vs hardscsping tends to be a big factor in costs too -- folks like the fun of both but costs escalate quickly...

I agree with the poster that suggests two tiers are better than just one big retaining wall. The towns will probably want to make sure your plan does not result in water drowning out any neighbors too.

I suspect once you get some bids you will understand why the sellers just lived without.

The question of drainage is a different matter -- if there is water that pools within about 10 feet or so of the building perimeter that is a threat to the foundation and you gotta but in some drainage to help move that away from house FAST.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 PM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times
Install the french drain-that slope is not that bad for retaining walls. My backyard is really steep-I couldn't afford retaining walls so I just got some rocks and seperated the yard into two with a flower bed up top. pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Should we install a retaining wall in our backyard?-0805091920.jpg  

Old 11-14-2011, 04:12 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Depending on what sort of play area vs entertaining you want / need the decision to lay down sod vs hardscsping tends to be a big factor in costs too -- folks like the fun of both but costs escalate quickly...

I agree with the poster that suggests two tiers are better than just one big retaining wall. The towns will probably want to make sure your plan does not result in water drowning out any neighbors too.

I suspect once you get some bids you will understand why the sellers just lived without.

The question of drainage is a different matter -- if there is water that pools within about 10 feet or so of the building perimeter that is a threat to the foundation and you gotta but in some drainage to help move that away from house FAST.
Chet brought up several key issues- I expanded upon them:
Depending on side set lines (building lines) and house placement(s) getting equipment back there can be an issue- or smaller equipment which constitutes more equipment hrs $$$. Generally, most building departments won't touch a retaining wall (either engineered stone or 6X6) over 5'. Anything over 5' requires an engineer. More $$$. And the drainage becomes a real big issue. By altering the topo that much you have to control the run off- and that doesn't mean dumping on your neighbor. You have to get it to the street- which could mean even more grading and or mechanical means of dispersal. Even More $$$. And then there's the pre-existing drainage issue- correct now and it probably gets destroyed if you re-do the backyard. If you don't do the backyard, correct the drainage issue. But, I strongly recommend that you find a way to direct the water by changing the grade and/or swales. French drains (mechanical means), will eventually fail.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
As mentioned before:
The first thing I would do is check with your city/county zoning inspector to see if it is even allowed. Once you start a project like this you have drain off problems and that effects the whole neighborhood and could be very costly. The french drain is probably your safest bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House