U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Obviously you are lucky (or young) enough to have no experience with cleaning ovens manually. I think the self cleaning ovens (especially the electric ones) are great! Many do have a coating that can be damaged by manual cleaning and chemicals so do read the instructions.

(I bet you don't have experience defrosting refrigerators either).
I am old enough, but I will not be using the self-cleaning feature. It is dangerous. Do the research. I have done lots of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,606,885 times
Here I am a year later still using my self-cleaning feature on my oven 3 times a year - the oven works beautifully still. The self-cleaning feature does a fantastic job and saves me much time, water, and a messy cleaning process....love, love, love my self-cleaning oven!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 PM

3,996 posts, read 3,354,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewsonda View Post
I am old enough, but I will not be using the self-cleaning feature. It is dangerous. Do the research. I have done lots of it.
Afraid of a self cleaning oven?? I have been using self clean for YEARS, ever since my first oven, with no problems. No shake, rattle, or roll. No smoke or smell.

What brand of oven smokes, grinds, smells bad and frightens people? I have had Amana, Maytag, and Frigidaire. You might want to check out one of those the next time you buy an oven.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 PM

42,614 posts, read 46,420,892 times
Anyone afriad of self cleanig ovens defintiely should never deep fry anyhting.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 PM

3,996 posts, read 3,354,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
We have one but Ive never ever used that feature and dont like it. Everything is old school with me, I use Easy Off, wipe it down, done.
I would rather sit on the floor in front of the oven while pointing a fire extinguisher at it while watching it self clean than use Easy Off and clean it by hand.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 AM

1,192 posts, read 978,527 times
I have a GE electric oven and used the self cleaning feature twice. Scared me to death. I Re-read the instructions and know I did everything correctly but the smell was terrible both times. Since I have had 2 washing machines and an iron catch fire, I never run washer, dryer, stove, oven unless I am in the house and I keep several large fire extinguishers in my home. I stick with the Easy-off as it is easier on my nerves.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:59 AM

2,462 posts, read 5,655,746 times
I think the first time you use a self-cleaning feature if you have not before, it is a little nervewracking.

However, the only reason there should be much of a smell is if the oven was really dirty (a lot of burnt on food). Otherwise, there should be very little smell/smoke.

My GE Profile (which I love) gas oven has a self-clean feature. Which is awesome, because for a long time only electric ovens (which I do not like) offered this feature and us gas lovers were stuck with the Easy Off.

I do it somewhere between 1x per year and 3x per year, depending on the level of soil.

Awesome. Set it after dinner, and by midnight its done. Also, if you clean it relatively frequently - you can use the shorter cycle (my oven has two cycles, a regular long cycle for heavy soil levels and a short cycle for an already mostly clean oven)

Anyway - for those who are not comfortable with it - I understand, everyone makes their own decisions regarding risk/benefit.

For me - it is a low risk/high benefit.

I also run the washer and dryer when I am out of the house. But, we clean our lint trap religiously. (Most dryer fires occur because of lint buildup).

Otherwise, it is always important to be aware of the condition of electrical plugs and outlets, and NOT to overload circuits. Overloading circuits is what can cause shorts and fires.

Though in theory generally most modern breaker panels should shut off quickly enough to prevent a serious arc from taking place.

If you have old wiring - be careful!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 PM

5,814 posts, read 7,939,918 times
Well, the infamous smell comes from things inside the oven. Clean it more frequently. Caked on dirt (whatever you want to call it) also has an impact on the oven's performance.
Yes, I had one range with enough issues that it was replaced twice and after serious negotiations the manufacturer purchased it back and replaced cabinets. That does not keep me from using the self cleaning cycle on a regular basis. BTW - the more additional items you try to clean from BBQ parts to broiler pans - the more it smells.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 PM

4,019 posts, read 4,964,955 times
I rarely use my self cleaning feature. The first one I had was so old I was afraid to try it. The second one was in the mid 90's when the white glass ovens were fashionable. My next door neighbor, who had the exact same oven (new construction, built ins) told me that when she used hers it not only burned up all the digital stuff, but it also discolored all the white plastic controls. She said the manufacturer replaced the oven but the next time she cleaned it, it did the same thing. Not something I wanted to mes with so I just wiped mine out and never tried the self cleaning feature.

The next couple of houses I had, I used it occasionally, but it always heated up the kitchen so badly, and smelled so yucky I just never bother with it. In this house, I've had to replace the bottom heating element twice in 6 years. Once, while just baking something, I heard this loud pop and saw the oven glowing. A hole had burned right through the heating element. (No, there was nothing on the element that caught fire or anything. I keep the oven wiped out.) Had it replaced, and a couple of years later, it just stopped working, so I had to replace it again. I'm just afraid there's something wrong with the oven that has caused this to happen. I'm terrified of what will happen if I try the self cleaning feature.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM

400 posts, read 293,348 times
I agree with CDelena here. I too have had a self-cleaning oven and now I don't and I miss my self-cleaning oven. I hate the fumes of the cleaners and the work involved. It's much more. The self-cleaning ovens cannot use the cleaners in them cause it will damage the oven. Read all instructions first, you may get away with water/baking soda or vinegar but I wouldn't use the harsh chemicals in there.

I loved my self-cleaning oven. Miss it! JMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Obviously you are lucky (or young) enough to have no experience with cleaning ovens manually. I think the self cleaning ovens (especially the electric ones) are great! Many do have a coating that can be damaged by manual cleaning and chemicals so do read the instructions.

(I bet you don't have experience defrosting refrigerators either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House