Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 07:58 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times

Advertisements

No mystery about the revived thread...

Between post #14 and #15 there is a larger space which means that a post was indeed deleted....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 10:47 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I'd go with eliminating as much noise as possible.......it seems like that is your biggest gripe.

Put in noise-reducing insulation on top of changing the windows. Also, you can get noise-reducing drywall that can go a long way in really quieting-down the noise.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And no one ever ever in the past 9 years has ever bought a house with noisy traffic or wondered how to cure the problem.

Hopefully they didn't cure the sound problem and instead moved out. Otherwise, after 9 years, the respiratory problems are probably starting to become more acute.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times
Give it time I bet you will love it

Old 09-29-2016, 07:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landybank View Post
I'm new to this board and need some advice.

I just bought a house and have been living in it for a few weeks. The living room and bedroom have big windows and I don't think I can handle the traffic noise from the trucks.
I have nobody to blame but myself, but my realtor was obviously not watching out for my best interest!

Yes, I know I rushed into buying the house. I fell in love with the inside, the price, and didn't consider the most critical factors. It didn't help that my mom loved the house and everyone else in my family said "You'll get used to the noise".

My question is what should I do?
1) Should I try to sell it in such a soft market and take a loss? This is to keep my sanity.
2) Keep it for a year and hope the market gets better? I'm not sure that I can withstand the constant traffic noise during the mornings... I'll have to find some type of solution in the meantime.
3) Install triple pane windows or something (will be very costly and not sure that I can afford to do this.)

Any advice will be appreciated!

First unfortunately the agent isn't going to watch out for you to that extent. It's not their job to make up your mind. If the house fits your needs, you like it

Seriously CORRECTLY INSTALLED double pane windows are great for sound suppression.however the BEST way is to tear out the old windows break out the stucco/remove siding and install new frames with correct waterproofing of the window frames tied to existing structure.
I lived near a busy street and double pane made a huge difference. Windows really shouldn't be that expensive. Just replace the windows in the rooms you spend the majority of time in.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landybank View Post
I'm new to this board and need some advice.

I just bought a house and have been living in it for a few weeks. The living room and bedroom have big windows and I don't think I can handle the traffic noise from the trucks.
I have nobody to blame but myself, but my realtor was obviously not watching out for my best interest!

Yes, I know I rushed into buying the house. I fell in love with the inside, the price, and didn't consider the most critical factors. It didn't help that my mom loved the house and everyone else in my family said "You'll get used to the noise".

My question is what should I do?
1) Should I try to sell it in such a soft market and take a loss? This is to keep my sanity.
2) Keep it for a year and hope the market gets better? I'm not sure that I can withstand the constant traffic noise during the mornings... I'll have to find some type of solution in the meantime.
3) Install triple pane windows or something (will be very costly and not sure that I can afford to do this.)

Any advice will be appreciated!
Look at the window upgrades and start there.

Landscaping can often help buffer noise, if that is an option that might help you....do some research.

I am not familiar with your other topics related to house buying, but you certainly cannot blame your realtor. The realtors job is to find you possible homes, yours is to decide on the goodness of fit.

ETA Just realized this is a 9 yr old thread:/

Old 09-30-2016, 09:08 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
I wouldn't blame your realtor for not knowing your tolerance for traffic noise. Presumably, you could have done some due diligence and visited the house at various times throughout the day to see what the environment was like.

Our first house was in a great location only one block from the best elementary school in the town. We were thrilled! Then school started for the year, and we discovered that our street was also the path that all school buses took to bring children to school, and was also the street that parents used to drop off their kids if they didn't ride the bus.

We not only dealt with noise from the traffic, but also the FUMES. The windows on our house were very old, single pane.

We were house poor and could not afford new windows, but we did find that after the first few months we didn't even notice it anymore. But we did get new honeycomb blinds (as someone else suggested), and a white noise machine. Those two things alone helped us get through the transition of being used to early morning school traffic nine months out of the year. Never did get rid of the smells from the buses, but after a year or two that smell became our alarm clock to get up for the day. *lol*

Old 09-30-2016, 09:15 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
First unfortunately the agent isn't going to watch out for you to that extent. It's not their job to make up your mind. If the house fits your needs, you like it

Seriously CORRECTLY INSTALLED double pane windows are great for sound suppression.however the BEST way is to tear out the old windows break out the stucco/remove siding and install new frames with correct waterproofing of the window frames tied to existing structure.
I lived near a busy street and double pane made a huge difference. Windows really shouldn't be that expensive. Just replace the windows in the rooms you spend the majority of time in.
The person you quoted has not been here for nine years... they won't see your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House