Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:04 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times

Advertisements

I was none too thrilled:

1. When my refrigerator gave up the ghost last December 19 when I was in the middle of cooking a big family dinner for my brother's birthday and I had already done my food shopping for Christmas. I borrowed insulated coolers from everyone I know, bought huge bags of ice and had the entire contents of the refrigerator and the freezer on ice in the unheated garage for three days before the new fridge was purchased and installed. Note: no one got food poisoning.

2. When the compressor on my air conditioner blew up as I and several family members were painting my dining room/kitchen/family room combo on a summer day in Arizona. I guarantee you not one of those people will ever help me paint again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 02:13 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
right now i am having a panic attack cause gas furnace blew out the grates,gas company mechanic turned it all off) and 3 days later landlord sends out a friend to look at it(non certified gas furnace repairman)only qualification is they belong to same local sons of sicily club------am scared to death of leaving unit on after he leaves------only time in my life i feel high anxiety

Old 11-25-2011, 09:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Panic attack when it stopped working? The wife.
Just remember to NEVER call a repair man if that happens.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:38 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Housing Panic attacks.

1. Geothermal heating system. Purchased a house in October 2007 when I switched from heating to cooling in the spring the reversing value broke, I could hear things rattling around in the compressor. Cost me $15,200 to replace the system.

2. Garage door. I have two 10x10 wooden garage doors, I need two springs to counter balance the door. When one of the springs snapped, I really had to struggle to get the door open. If fact I had to use a board to leverage the door up about 12 inches before I could even pick it up to open it. Cost about $150 to replace one spring....6 months later the spring for the other door snapped.

3. Toilet over flowed. I only did number one in the toilet, it didn't seem to flush correctly, so I flushed it again. it filled the bowl and overflowed. had to rush to turn the water off, the water seeped under the walls and poured through the kitchen ceiling downstairs. Nothing was wrong with the pipes, the toilets were just old and the holes to make it flush were clogged with sediment. I brought three new toilets for $800 and replaced them myself, they work great now. Tried to patch the ceiling downstairs, but eventually my wife hired a painter to fix the ceiling and paint some other rooms.

4. Refrigerator stopped cooling, all the frozen food ended up going bad. Did some research on the internet and removed a failed part (but didn't replace it), the refrigerator seemed to work fine after that. A few months later same thing happened and lost all the frozen food again. Wife used it as an excuse to buy new stainless steel Refrigerator, Dishwasher, Range, total cost $5,000.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
1) I was in the kitchen one day, and heard a crash from the bathroom. Ran in to find the bathroom ceiling on the floor. Wound up getting a new roof.

2) Got out of the shower one morning and the spouse said: (I hated it when he began a sentence like this) "I don't want to alarm you, but there's a small backup around the drain in the basement." Small meaning about 5 feet in diameter.

3) Came back from a nice vacation to find a huge branch from our neighbor's tree had crashed into our fence. Knocked the entire thing flat. So much for relaxation.

4) For some reason, birds found it easy to get into my old house. One day I came back from a trip (maybe I should just stop going on vacation), and I kept hearing these rattling noises. After some investigation, I found two sparrows nestled into the glass shades in the dining room chandelier.

Although really, nothing makes me panic and fume worse than car trouble. Nothing short of a tornado flattening my house, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House